banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the MXR Wylde OD like the Super Overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the MXR Wylde OD like the Super Overdrive?

might pickone up in a deal. how are they different? I have a SD-1 on my board and feel like i could use the MXR..

Re: Is the MXR Wylde OD like the Super Overdrive?

What amp you using? if it's the HRDX, it might not work out that well. That pedal is only good for a cranked, already overdriven amp. It will sound thin and MG'ish on a clean amp. It's an ok pedal on distortion. it just makes everything more harmonic, a lil noisy, etc.
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Comment

sd-1 is way brighter, zw44 doesn't cut that much bass, a lot more transparent... they have the same amount of gain though

Comment

They are the same exact circuit. Some part values are different between them but that's pretty much it. The Wylde doesn't cut the lows as much as the SD-1 does.

Comment

I have an old Japanese SD 1 and the Zakk Wylde did not kick it off my board. But I would recommend it over a new Taiwanese SD 1 especially if you want true bypass.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
            I have an old Japanese SD 1 and the Zakk Wylde did not kick it off my board. But I would recommend it over a new Taiwanese SD 1 especially if you want true bypass.
            This is what I wanted to hear. Thanks Frank!

Comment

I like the SD-1 much better as a clean boost, but I think the ZW-44 kills it on the overdrive channel. I think it all depends on how you intend to use it. And my SD-1 is modded also, so it's not exactly an answer to your question, but it's close.

Comment

bump

Comment

astro - the zakk has a little toggle swicth inside it if you open it up which turns it from the ZW into the GTOD. Same goes for the GTOD. Same goes for the cheapo classic overdrive from mxr. They are all the same pedal with different paintjobs.
                  Having said all that - the GTOD is one of my favourite od pedals and imho sounds 100% better than the boss sd1 (modded, japanese or otherwise). More gain, more output, more clarity, more useable bottom end and the option to swap it to zakk mode. In fact its so good i had a hard time picking between it and the fulltone fulldrive. To me it sounds very similar to that pedal when it has the boost engaged. the fulltone edged it out because it has more tone options.
                  The 3 mxr od pedals (the zakk, the gtod and the classic) are all totally killer, and the best bang for buck out there. i prefer the gtod sound to the zakk with my marshall, but thats juts a matter of preference and pretty easy to swap.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I might get the ZW in a trade, that's why I'm asking. if its anything like the SUper overdrive, I'm down. ive got lots of buffered pedals.

Comment

its wayy better than the boss.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                        its wayy better than the boss.
                        then coool then. I like the fulldrive. will the mxr have me covered or will the fulldrive do things it cant?

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                          astro - the zakk has a little toggle swicth inside it if you open it up which turns it from the ZW into the GTOD. Same goes for the GTOD. Same goes for the cheapo classic overdrive from mxr. They are all the same pedal with different paintjobs.

The 3 mxr od pedals (the zakk, the gtod and the classic) are all totally killer, and the best bang for buck out there. i prefer the gtod sound to the zakk with my marshall, but thats juts a matter of preference and pretty easy to swap.
                          Are you sure, or did you hear that? Personally, I haven't opened my Classic OD or Zakk Wylde OD. They're both good pedals, but I like the richness of the Classic OD. I know you can flick a tiny switch inside with a paper clip to turn it into the ZW, but wasn't sure if you can do the same on the ZW.

If that's the case, everyone who owns the ZW OD can make it sound better pretty easily. I will say one thing for the ZW......it's a pretty transparent OD that only adds gain. The Classic adds a bit more mids.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

yes ive opened mine up and tried both sounds. But i like the classic tone better too.
                            Astro: will the fulldrive do things the mxr cant? yes it can do a couple of things. but if you run the fulldrive in mosfet mode with the gain boost engaged and in vintage voicing they are very similar. Bang for buck the mxr is amazing. If its for a lead tone the mxr is top shelf.
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I own a ZW44 and have opened.... Have to say I never saw any switches, only a pcb with solder joints... where exacty is this thing ?

Comment

Working...
                              X