Speaker shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker shootout

Ok, I'm almost finished swapping speakers in my Rivera Clubster Royale combo. Here are 3 sound samples I did with the same settings, same mic position, same guitar, same record levels, etc...

I was hoping that the Classic Lead 80 would be right in between the V30 and Seventy 80 and I was right. I freaking love this speaker more than ever before. It's a hard decision between the Eminence Private Jack and Classic Lead 80. The Private Jack and Classic Lead 80 were both not broken in yet. The other two speakers were already broken in. Tell me what you think.

Celestion Seventy 80

Celestion Vintage 30

Eminence Private Jack

Celestion Classic Lead 80
    Last edited by UberMetalDood; 05-05-2011, 06:19 PM.

Re: Speaker shootout

I thinks it's a toss-up between the Lead 80 and the Private Jack. I suspect that once broken in, the awesomeness will increase. I have a question for you. How did you arrive at these four choices? I'm about to purchase a lunchbox head and was going to build myself a 1x12 and a 2x12 cabinet. I've been trying to decide which speakers to use, e.g., Celestion, Eminence, Jensen, JBL, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by lespaul1963 View Post
      I thinks it's a toss-up between the Lead 80 and the Private Jack. I suspect that once broken in, the awesomeness will increase. I have a question for you. How did you arrive at these four choices? I'm about to purchase a lunchbox head and was going to build myself a 1x12 and a 2x12 cabinet. I've been trying to decide which speakers to use, e.g., Celestion, Eminence, Jensen, JBL, etc.
      Hmm... I think I arrived at those choices because my new Rivera Clubster came with a Seventy 80 which I thought was a little harsh and lacked some low mids and bass, but has a great midrange. I wanted a speaker that was similar but a little smoother and balanced. That's how I came across the Private Jack.

I really liked the Private Jack but I wanted something right in between a Seventy Eighty and a V30. That's when I found a good deal on a Classic Lead 80. It was exactly what I thought it would be, right in between a Seventy 80 and V30.

I kept the Classic Lead 80 until I broke in and then went back to the Private Jack becase I just like it's overall vibe. It's very detailed and doesn't get harsh even though it's a bright speaker.

Check this out though, I experimented with the Private Jack in my Engl Screamer (which has 6L6's) and it soudned great. I posted a sound sample here a few days ago.

Then I got a great deal on a couple of Eminence Governors (Eminence's version of a V30). I popped one of those into my Engl Screamer and even though it wasn't broken in yet, it sounded even better than the V30. It has a very natural, immediate response whereas the Celestions are kind of stiff.

The Governor is stiffer than the Private jack but has a more natural feel. The Private Jack can be a little loose and saggy, but in a good way. It's a matter of taste.

Finally I arrived at my destination speaker for both of my combos. For my Rivera, I'm going with an Eminence Wizard, and for my Engl Screamer, I'm keeping the Governor.

I like Celestions a lot and could easily settle on a V30 for just about anything, but I find the Eminence to be just a little smoother and more balanced and more detailed and more musical.

If you are looking for a general purpose cab, I'd suggest either a Governer/Wizard combo (Eminence equivalent to a G12t75 and V30), or a Wizard and Private Jack for a more balanced sound.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
        If you are looking for a general purpose cab, I'd suggest either a Governer/Wizard combo (Eminence equivalent to a G12t75 and V30), or a Wizard and Private Jack for a more balanced sound.
        I love the Governor and Wizard combo, but I think the Governor is Eminence's take on a Vintage 30. It's not a G12T-75. I think that's the Man-o-War.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
          I love the Governor and Wizard combo, but I think the Governor is Eminence's take on a Vintage 30. It's not a G12T-75. I think that's the Man-o-War.
          You're right, the Man-o-War is supposed to be like the G12t75.

Comment

I like the Seventy 80 the most!

Comment

70/80 has an annoying honky midrange for me.
              The vintage 30 was not too bad
              The CL 80 has a fizzyness I didn't like

The Private Jack had the tone I liked the best in these clips

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                70/80 has an annoying honky midrange for me.
                The vintage 30 was not too bad
                The CL 80 has a fizzyness I didn't like

The Private Jack had the tone I liked the best in these clips
                Thanks for listening. The CL 80 only had about an hour of use before it was recorded so maybe some of the fizziness will go away once it's thoroughly broken in.

Comment

Originally posted by danut View Post
                  I like the Seventy 80 the most!
                  That’s the cheapest speaker, mass produced for the tone deaf!
                  Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                  When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                  Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                  Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                  Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Private Jack!
                    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I hate that we all have to keep comparing the Emininence to the corresponding Celestions (although they asked for it when they released the Red Caot series) - but which Celestion model does the Private Jack parallel? I'm looking for something a bit less spiky in the upper mids that my CL80.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

GBs

Comment

So the Private Jack is like a 50-watt, 101 dB-efficient Green Back? I think I need to find one and try it in my 18 Watter.

Is there a different Emi thanks like the G12-65? Because the 65 is sort of Celestion's "high powered greenback".
                          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                            So the Private Jack is like a 50-watt, 101 dB-efficient Green Back? I think I need to find one and try it in my 18 Watter.

Is there a different Emi thanks like the G12-65? Because the 65 is sort of Celestion's "high powered greenback".
                            In my limited experience with greenbacks, well kind of. It's definitely more balanced than the v30 and seventy 80. It has a great presence which you can hear from low to high but it's smooth. You can't go wrong buying one. I have one if you're interested. PM me for more info.

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
                            That’s the cheapest speaker, mass produced for the tone deaf!
                            Man it's actually a pretty good speaker. I think that it's hard to find an amp it sounds great with on its own, but paired with a v30 or g12t75 it would be great. It's also a relatively lightweight speaker compared to a v30 and classic lead. It also records very well because it cuts right through and has tight bass.
                            Last edited by UberMetalDood; 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X