G12H... only more efficient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G12H... only more efficient?

Well, I have one G12H in my Deluxe Reverb and I love it.
    However, often, when playing live, there's some annoying cone cry, like a high pitched whine on top of some of the notes in the higher register.
    Is there a speaker with the same lovely tone of the good ol' G12H, but with a higher efficiency (50-75watt)?

Eminence maybe...?

Re: G12H... only more efficient?

The Wizard is supposedly the Emi sound-alike for the G12H30. 75 watts, 103 dB efficiency.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

G12H is a greenback with more bottom end, so I'd say Emi GB128... a green back clone with more balls and 50watts

Comment

you could get a weber british series 1230 and get moderate doping on the surround. It'll make the speaker sound a *bit* different, maybe a little smoother and not as chimey, but it may be the best way to go if you really like the g12H30.

Comment

The Eminence Wizard is a great speaker. I highly suggest you give it a shot. It did wonders for my sound when I paired it with a Governor (which is Emi's Vintage 30 clone).

Comment

wizard
            Originally posted by gibson175
            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
              The Eminence Wizard is a great speaker. I highly suggest you give it a shot. It did wonders for my sound when I paired it with a Governor (which is Emi's Vintage 30 clone).
              Really ?? I thought the vintage 30 clones where the Legend V12s... BTW Soldano is using those in their 4x12 cabs

Comment

The Wizard is "like" an H30, Governor is "like" a V30, Private Jack is "like" a greenback, Tonespotter is "like" a G12-65, Red Ryder is "like" a CL80, Tonker is "like" a Fane. Likes is quotes because they are Emi's take/expansions on the original speakers.

Wizards rule.

Comment

I haven't ever heard one in person, but the Splawn Big Block is a 60-watter, supposedly similar to the G12H30

Comment

The Eminence Wizard is the answer ... and it sounds AMAZING!!
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

There's also the WGS Reaper HP - 50W

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                        The Wizard is "like" an H30, Governor is "like" a V30, Private Jack is "like" a greenback, Tonespotter is "like" a G12-65, Red Ryder is "like" a CL80, Tonker is "like" a Fane. Likes is quotes because they are Emi's take/expansions on the original speakers.

Wizards rule.
                        Fair enough. And I agree with the last statement. Have I mentioned I'm a huge Eminence fan?

Comment

Lorantz in Melbourne Australia do hand made Greenback clones, and clones with extra headroom etc - up to 75 watts. Its called the C304P.

I have a princeton reverb II that i have replaces both a celestion and a jensen c12n with one of these - and id do it again in other amps too.
                          I went for the 75 watter cos i wanted headroom as the prII has plenty of bass, but its a similar amp to a deluxe reverb. I love these speakers.
                          fwiw - i also put a pait or their 10 inch speakers in my musicman replacing the alnicos that were in there - again it was a killer.
                          That site i linked is a shop cos it has good information on the speakers, but if you do a google search you can go direct to the lorantz website. Its a husband and wife business, so they are not great at webdesign, but they do make amazing speakers. If you drop them an email or call them you can speak to the man who will build your speaker.
                          I like the 75watter, but if you like a little more brightness, then perhaps the 50 watter will do the job for you. If not - reading that article on lorantz speaker history and speaker constriction is enlightening in itself!
                          Most of the interesting stuff in towards the bottom of the page...
                          Last edited by Chickenwings; 05-09-2011, 05:03 PM.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

That's a very interesting read. Wonder how much they would cost to ship to NYC ...
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

give them an email? Aussie shipping rates are pretty reasonable. Id reccomend going direct to Lorantz rather than melmusic but worth asking both. The speaker prices are the same.
                              oh yeah - he can do custom speaker orders too if you tell him what you are after!
                              Last edited by Chickenwings; 05-09-2011, 05:43 PM.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X