MXR Carbon Copy vs. EHX Memory Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Carbon Copy vs. EHX Memory Toy

Similar size. Similar features. Similar price.

Take your pick.
    Memory Toy
    11.11%
    Carbon Copy
    88.89%
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Re: MXR Carbon Copy vs. EHX Memory Toy

I have the Memory Toy. The switch for modulated repeats sold me on it.
    They come a bit wrong from factory on many models, way too agressive and seasick sounding,
    but it takes a tiny jewelry screwdriver and exactly 10 seconds to fix it, turning the 'mod depth' trim pot inside the pedal clockwise in 60°-90°.
    Very Pink Floydish sounds out of it now. Love it.

The only bad thing about the Memory Toy it is that it will give your whole signal a tiny boost when on.
    It's cool if you use it for leads, because it'll give you more volume.
    But it's bad if you don't want that to happen, because there's no way to disable it that I know of.
    Last edited by Diego; 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I own both of them and I have the Carbon Copy on my main board and the Memory Toy on my backup board (for good reason). The Carbon Copy wins of the Memory Toy 99 times out of 100. It is warmer and more subtle than the EHX and the modulation is the most spectacular delay modulation out there. The EHX may have the capability of doing longer delays, but it just doesn't have the perfectly mixed analog sound that it's MXR brother does.

I voted Carbon Copy having owned both pedals. I can honestly say this is totally unbiased too because I am a huge EHX maniac. The majority of my board is EHX, I wear their merch, play their pedals, chat with their techs... but when I tried to swap my Carbon Copy and Memory Toy on the main board, it just didn't work out.
      Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
      I dig the wood!

Comment

Carbon Copy is the one.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I chose the Carbon Copy. I love it by itself, and I love it with the modulation button engaged. I didn't like the Memory Toy nearly as much when I demoed it.

Comment

I should say that the EHX is not at all a bad pedal. In fact, it is a great delay, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Carbon Copy.

If a person found a good deal on the EHX I would definitely jump all over it.
            Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
            I dig the wood!

Comment

I've heard clips of both. Neither sound natural to me. I don't know maybe it's me but I don't really like analog delay. I don't like the way it distorts the repeats. It doesn't sound natural to me. I have a DD3 on all of my boards and that's what I have always used.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I have the Carbon Copy. Best delay I've ever owned!
                Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                  I've heard clips of both. Neither sound natural to me. I don't know maybe it's me but I don't really like analog delay. I don't like the way it distorts the repeats. It doesn't sound natural to me. I have a DD3 on all of my boards and that's what I have always used.
                  DD3 is a digital delay. Whole different animal. Analog delay reproduction of the original signal is flawed and not totally consistent unlike a digital delay which reproduces a clean replica. And that's why people who prefer analog use analog.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
                    I have the Carbon Copy. Best delay I've ever owned!
                    +1 The CC *IS* my lead sound

Comment

Working...
                    X