NPD!! review w/ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD!! review w/ pics

Just got my brand new, Majik Box Doug Aldich "Rocket Fuel" signature OD/Boost pedal and it is amazing. Let me start by saying this is, so far, my all time favorite OD pedal.

The pedal was created by Doug Aldrich and Majik Box in order to help doug create the specific tones he head in his head. He wanted a pedal to play into his many Mashall amps (that are aleady overdriven) that would give him the very specific lead tone he wanted. This is pretty much 3 pedals in one, it has an overdrive section, a boost section and you can use the 2 together! It also has a nifty "bass shift" switch that allows you to add bass if you want to go with your specific rig/set up.

The "Bass Shift" switch has 3 settings: 1, 2 and 3. The #1 setting doesnt add any bass, the #2 setting adds a nice fat, but tight, bass boost that isnt too much. The #3 setting adds a bit more bottom end when compared to #2, but #3 setting is a bit much. I keep it either on #1 or #2.

The OD section consists of a level, tone and drive knobs and it has a very fat mid range punch that helps fill out the over all tone. Its not nasaly sounding like a TS9, because this pedal has an emphasis on the lower mids, or "gut punchers" as I like to call them. The drive knob has a very wide range of drive. I set my JCM800 to a medium crunch setting and then kick in the OD section at it sounds amazing!

The boost section only consists of a "boost" knob and it is a very big clean boost. Doug wanted the boost section to be strong enough to really hit the input stage of his marshalls hard. Its a very transparent boost, but it thicken things up and slam the front of the amp nicely to creat a lot of smooth sustain.

The OD and boost can be used together (how doug uses the pedal), and it is just over the top sustain and thick overdrive goodness. Really sounds good with my les paul. Very sexy liquid lead solo tones, and very heavy power chord rhythm stuff

For anyone who cares, yes it is true bypass. The pedal was $269 USD, so its a little expensive, but believe me when I say it is worth every penny.
    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Re: NPD!! review w/ pics

Aldrich was on THAT METAL SHOW. He was sounding mighty tasty!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

sounds like it's a cool pedal.

why's it so ugly?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        ya he is deff a super talented player. He plays on a level I will never be abke to reach. lol
        Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Cool review!! never heard of this one.. whereja get it? I was pretty impressed with my Aldrich Suhr pup.
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            I wish they would let the musical player play alil more on air.. they had gilby once and Ive always wanted to really hear him play, but every break, they'd fade out too quick.
            love the dude with the mutton chops on that show.. haha
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              Cool review!! never heard of this one.. whereja get it? I was pretty impressed with my Aldrich Suhr pup.
              I ordered it directly from majik box's webiste. They have a lot of cool pedals. Paul Gilbert has a signature pedal with them too.

here is a link to their pedals: http://www.majikboxusa.com/pedals.html
              Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Chris doesn't like Doug Aldrich.

HE LOVES HIM!!!

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                  Chris doesn't like Doug Aldrich.

HE LOVES HIM!!!
                  haha ya i just noticed exactly how much of doug's stuff i have......his signature pickups, his signature pedal......hell where is the doug aldrich signature toilet paper?!?! I want that too!
                  Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                    sounds like it's a cool pedal.

why's it so ugly?
                    its kinda got a flame thing goin on the top. I guess the flame job goes along with its "rocket fuel" name
                    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Sounds interesting!
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I know Aldrich used a Fulltone FDII for a long time, so I'm assuming this is almost the same design, only voiced the way he likes it. To avoid a problem with Fulltone, it looks like they did the same pedal with everything backwards.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                          I know Aldrich used a Fulltone FDII for a long time, so I'm assuming this is almost the same design, only voiced the way he likes it. To avoid a problem with Fulltone, it looks like they did the same pedal with everything backwards.
                          Ya I had heard he used one of those for a while. I just looked at a picture of one and ur right, it does look like doug took the layout of the fulldrive2 and flipped it around.
                          Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Cool review,will be perfect if you record some sound clips
                            Originally posted by GuitarDoc
                            Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by marvelous_seven View Post
                              Cool review,will be perfect if you record some sound clips
                              ya unfortunately I have no way of recording sound clips, let alone clips that will sound good. There are some MP3 clips on majik box's pedal page of doug playing the pedal. There are 3 clips....1 for the OD, 1 for the boost, and 1 that has them both together
                              Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Working...
                              X