how do you choose digital delays??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you choose digital delays??

Im not an expert so i wouldn't mind some schooling on the differences between them, but do you guys just go for features and pricing or do you find differences in tone between two digital delay units??

Re: how do you choose digital delays??

I looked at a lot of youtube vids, especially pro guitar shops ones as Andy does a great job on demos. If you want long delay then its digital. Shorter you can get away with analogue. Personally I looked for versatility when I got mine. The Vox time machine for me had the ability to manipulate the output so it could sound analogue or digital, tap tempo, wide range of delay times and it was also a sturdy pedal too.

Comment

I watched a bunch of YouTube reviews too. A couple of guys loved the CMATMODS Deeelay, and one compared it favorably to the Aqua Puss. Also there seemed to be quite a "buzz" about several other products of the company. I'm very happy with the pedal - very clean sounding, and has plenty of delay time for my needs. I had previously used a Boss digital unit, but felt it sounded a bit "tinny". Not so with the Deeelay, it's very transparent. The price wasn't bad, but this was not really a factor; there are plenty of more and less expensive delays to choose from.
      Last edited by mrpinter; 05-17-2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

By color - I only buy off-white ones.
        Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
        I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

i used to use a boss dd2 and it was ok. then i got a boss dd3 and i didnt think it sounded as good. then got a line6 echopark and it was neat but the bypass sucked. i now have two duncan deja vu's and i am very happy

Comment

Hmm got: Boss DD-3(the old long chip renamed DD-2) DD-5, Hardwire DL-8, Vox Time Machine delay, somewhere I have a SDE-2500 Roland as well.....

Comment

Best delay pedal I actually owned was the Arion DD4. It was in the wrong box and the store sold it to me at the lower price of the lower-level model
              I wanted that one because it had up to 4 seconds of delay, which I used.

I used to play around with an old BOSS pedal (can't recall the exact number, it was 1988) and it had quite a few features like staccato repeating I enjoyed.

An Uncle let me borrow a Yamaha rackmounted delay once many years ago and my overall tone improved as soon as I plugged into it. Added depth and dimension, and the actual delay effect had not yet been activated

I was very sad when he wanted it back some months later, as my tone went back to "string of pedals", and was noticeably lighter and thinner.
              After that, I traded all my pedals in on a used GSP21 Pro and enjoyed a fuller, more spacious tone AND all the effects
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

I don't...but if I did I'd go back to a Boss...

Built like a tank
                Can be replaced by a trip to any GC
                Not too much $$
                Lots of features
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

gotta have tap. gotta be easy to dial in sounds for live use. gotta sound good. Gotta be able to change the tone of the delays a bit. Gotta keep your dry sound nice.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 05-18-2011, 05:28 PM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I usually check the quality of the bypass first. Even the cheapest delay pedal will have a decent enough delay sound these days.

That being said, the more expensive units do typically sound better. Features are nice, but I rarely use anything other than something around 300ms with a repeat or two, mixed low at about 15% to 20%.

Modulated delay is what I look for these days, it just sounds very polished when used with that same setting.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

I need tap tempo, and long delay times for loops that can gradually fade.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

First and foremost I look for an unaltered dry signal both while the delay is engaged and while bypassed.

Then it is all about the sound and feel of the repeats, the accuracy with which they trail off, and how well the original tone is maintained as the wet mix increases.

I don't really care about tap tempo, but I understand how it would be handy. I normally run a delay between 450and 600ms.

I listen to as many demos as possible before risking my money. Even so, I have been disappointed more than once in the delay department ..... perhaps because I am really picky.

FWIW, one of the best sounding digital delays I've heard live was a Skreddy.
                        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

fwiw ....
                          all the issues and desirable functions mentioned in my post, binnerscots, mincers and lazarus's are all adressed by the seymour duncan deja vu delay.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

You guys that dont use tap tempo, do you just not mind if its off beat with the song or what?

Comment

I don't do anything U2ish where the timing of the repeats is critical. In fact, I mostly use delay in a very ambient, reverbish way where (again) the pulses are very much subdued.

So somewhere between 450 to 600ms works for just about everything because the repeats are not out front where they would compete with the tempo.
                              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Working...
                              X