Any ECC83 love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ECC83 love?

I popped in some Marshall ECC83 and theres this richness in its clean tone that I've missed. Are these tubes low gain? They sound much better than the chinese 12ax7-B tubes that were in the preamp.

Then i took those 12ax7's and popped them in my EHX English Muff'n. I figured since these are high gain, theyd be better suited for the mild flavored 12aY7's it originally had. Those stock EHX ones were no where near the flesh shearing, fire breather that it is now.

Now its a stack in a box.

so, I ask...

What type of tubes for a EL84/ECC83 amp change the character and add in color to your tone?

All I know is a low gain 12ay7 pair took care of the sizzle-farts that my amp was spittin, and i can get a great tone.
    Last edited by icantbuyafender; 05-25-2011, 11:35 AM.
    Originally posted by Jay 77
    Other than hearing incredibly shaky, sucky playing it sounds like #2 is the Gibson and #1 sounds like it's a steaming #2.

Re: Any ECC83 love?

ECC83 is just another designation for a 12ax7 tube type.

Dunno what tubes marshall is using for those ECC83s though. probably JJ.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
      ECC83 is just another designation for a 12ax7 tube type.

Dunno what tubes marshall is using for those ECC83s though. probably JJ.
      does tone vary between russian tubes or chinese tubes?
      Originally posted by Jay 77
      Other than hearing incredibly shaky, sucky playing it sounds like #2 is the Gibson and #1 sounds like it's a steaming #2.

Comment

I have always like the long plate tubes... I can't remember the model names.
        "Play like a Champion"
        PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
        Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
        Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Originally posted by icantbuyafender View Post
          does tone vary between russian tubes or chinese tubes?
          Tone varies from tube to tube from the same mfg, nevermind from country to country.

Comment

I am pretty sure Marshall 12AX7/ECC83 tubes are still rebranded JJ...
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

It definitely depends on the amp design whether you'll notice a big change or a little when in switching tubes. I've tried most of the new production 12AX7s, and I happen to like the Tung-Sols the best. I liked JJs the least, and the only other one that was significant was the Mullard, which was much smoother in character than the others.

Some people love the Chinese ones, and some people love JJs, and some people love Electro-Harmonix. I think the Tung-Sols are superior to all those, but everyone has his or her own tastes. It's not too expensive to figure out what you like from the new stuff, though, so buy a handful and swap around a bit.

Comment

12ax7's? Uhh, yeah i dig em...
                Originally posted by gibson175
                metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

marshall uses JJ and chinese, that was in my old JVM
                  tone slut
                  Marshall DSL 40C
                  Fender EVH Striped Series
                  Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                  Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                  Mogami cables

Comment

I believe that there are only 1 or 2 factories manufacturing tubes, and that many of the top amp makers tubes are rebranded.

Theres a blog online somwhere that shows that many GT, Fender and Mesa tubes are identical and are simply rebranded sovteks!! No shame in that though - I recall Mike Soldano championing them for his amps.

My tube choices are 12AX7EH with WInged C 6L6GC's. This combo, for me, is fat but detailled.

Comment

Originally posted by ryUK View Post
                      I believe that there are only 1 or 2 factories manufacturing tubes, and that many of the top amp makers tubes are rebranded.

Theres a blog online somwhere that shows that many GT, Fender and Mesa tubes are identical and are simply rebranded sovteks!! No shame in that though - I recall Mike Soldano championing them for his amps.
                      This. There are only a handful of plants that make audio tubes that are commonly used in guitar amps.

You have the Reflector plant owned by New Sensor in Sartov, Russia (Sovtek, Mullard, Tung Sol, Electo Harmonix), the Svetlana plant in St Petersburg, Russia (Winged C), the JJ electronic plant in the Slovakia, the EI plant in Yugoslavia, and the Shuguang plant in China.

Odds are, the tubes you're buying for your amp came from one of the above 5 plants.
                      Originally posted by ratherdashing
                      If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
                      - You hate your neighbours
                      - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
                      - You love solid state amps
                      - You don't actually play guitar
                      - You kick puppies

Comment

We want Mullard UK back dammit!
                        tone slut
                        Marshall DSL 40C
                        Fender EVH Striped Series
                        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                        Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                        Mogami cables