guitar cab speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar cab speaker

Hi I was wondering what speaker you guys would recommend to me for a cabinet that I'm buying. I'm getting a 1x12 closed back cabinet. I want the speaker to be good for the music that I play which is classic rock and metal like metallica and megadeth. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: guitar cab speaker

when I ask myself this I first try to decide how loud I want to be for the type of breakup (classic rock/metal in this case) I want to have. Usually what that has been boiling down to lately, *basically* is matching the power handling up fairly close between amp & speaker(s), and looking at the "sensitivity" in decibels (db) on the speaker's spec sheet to arrive at desired loudness.

in closed backs I like mid-rangy speakers like Greenbacks and Vintage 30s

in open-backs, less middy ones. Not necessarily speakers with scooped curves, but more balanced and even ones.

what amp?
    Last edited by PVFan; 08-04-2011, 12:07 PM.
    tele / wolfie
    pittbull 50cl
    greenbacks

Comment

I'm thinking about getting a Blackstar HT-5H tube amp. Its a 5 watt amp. I know its not the greatest but it has what I want and i'm not that great at guitar anyways.

Comment

was it that you didn't like the speaker in the combo version, and that's why you want the head version? lots of folks here like those

but for 5 watts I'd look for the lowest power handling (watts) and highest sensitivity (db) I could find

and that means to me if it has to be a sealed cabinet, and it has to be a 12", and if we're talking chunk-balls rock & metal that only leaves a Greenback.
        tele / wolfie
        pittbull 50cl
        greenbacks

Comment

Don't be defensive about that amp! It's a great little amp! I love mine, although my Jet City has a little bit more of that graininess that I've come to like.

I think PVFan may be correct. If you want tight, go Vintage 30 or Eminence Governor. If you like it a little bit looser, go with a Greenback or maybe WGS Green Beret.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm going to look at all of those speakers and see which one to go with.

Comment

Working...
            X