So I pulled the trigger on a Cannabis Rex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I pulled the trigger on a Cannabis Rex

After listening to sound clips until I was about to loose my mind, one clip on youtube convinced me.

Aside from providing an awesome clip, the guy was saying how the Cannabis Rex had no particular spike in any frequencies, allowing your amp, guitar and pickups to show their true personalities.

So Cannabis Rex it will be in my Traynor. Funny enough, after comparing the V30 (my original favorite) with many others, I found its mid-spike very honky and annoying.

Can anyone share their experience with the Cannabis Rex?

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Re: So I pulled the trigger on a Cannabis Rex

i used a rex in my bf deluxe reverb and i love it. warm but fairly balanced and loud which helps with a 22w amp.

Comment

I use a CR in my Peavey Prowler and I agree with the guy in the video. It is smooth and balanced throughout its frequency range. It has a rich, smokey flavor. Be prepared for a longer than usual break-in period.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

What kind of Traynor? I've got a C. Rex in my YCV40 and I really, really like it. Used to have a v30 in there, and the C. Rex just sounds tons better in that little open back . . .
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Wow, GuitarStv... that's exactly what I have. A YCV40 made in 2001, the black standard version with the Seventy 80 speaker. I used to have a Wine Red version with the V30, but I hated the spongy bass response of the V30 in it. I chose the CRex precisely to get a better overall tone in all frequencies...

You just made my day man... can't wait to receive it!

Comment

By the way, what can I expect from a speaker that is not broken in? What should I expect to experience until it reaches its full potential?

Comment

Anyone run a hempcone and a regular speaker together? I think GtrSTV said he does .
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I have one in my '65 Ampeg Reverberocket and it is the PERFECT speaker for this amp - high headroom, full bass without farting out, smooth highs.

Love it.

Comment

I've got two in a vertical 2x12 cab, which is an old over-sized Peavey. The C-rex really does tame the harsh tendencies of any amp I try. Some amps will be too dark with them, but any amp that has a workable voice and EQ will be fine. They are loud.
                  Last edited by guitfiddle; 08-09-2011, 09:56 PM.
                  - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                  Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                  The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                    I use a CR in my Peavey Prowler and I agree with the guy in the video. It is smooth and balanced throughout its frequency range. It has a rich, smokey flavor. Be prepared for a longer than usual break-in period.
                    had to laugh at the cannabis rex having a smoky flavor...

how is the prowler?? I saw one at a hock shop years ago and thought it looked cool.. I went back the next day to snag it and it was gone.
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      had to laugh at the cannabis rex having a smoky flavor...

how is the prowler?? I saw one at a hock shop years ago and thought it looked cool.. I went back the next day to snag it and it was gone.
                      Don't miss out on the next one you see! It is the best amp Peavey ever made in the 45 watt zone. It's not quite as loud as a Hot Rod Deluxe, but it is very similar in layout and function. To my ears the dirt channel is much more usable than the Fender's. I'd still like to (and will) own something a little higher end .... especially something with EL34s, but for 6L6s and its size and power the Prowler is just hard to beat.
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                        Don't miss out on the next one you see! It is the best amp Peavey ever made in the 45 watt zone. It's not quite as loud as a Hot Rod Deluxe, but it is very similar in layout and function. To my ears the dirt channel is much more usable than the Fender's. I'd still like to (and will) own something a little higher end .... especially something with EL34s, but for 6L6s and its size and power the Prowler is just hard to beat.
                        yeah, it looked nearly mint to. (cept for some dust) Think it was like 250-350
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I think mine was like $475 new in 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                            Anyone run a hempcone and a regular speaker together? I think GtrSTV said he does .
                            Yep . . . I run the 1X12 open back combo with the Cannabis Rex and use the matching closed back cab w/v30. That configuration really rocks. The V30 mid spike is tempered a bit by the more even and rounded sound from the C. Rex. Great cleans and decent punch for distorted stuff.

Originally posted by Sly_D
                            By the way, what can I expect from a speaker that is not broken in? What should I expect to experience until it reaches its full potential?
                            I took the C. Rex to a loud jam and played it for a few hours after getting it. If there was a change in sound since then it was subtle enough that I haven't really noticed. I've read people online saying that it takes hours and hours to break in, but it sounded decent right out of the box. Full bass, nice (maybe slightly softened mids), and present but never piercing highs.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i had 2 in my old YCV80 and ended up going with 2 tonkers. for whtever reason the lack of low low end grunt on the dirt channel required the heft from the tonkers. these things are amazing

but you will not find a sweeter clean sound with the CR in a ycv series amp. i recommend the lil buddy too.
                              #1: Gibson SG Classic [Antiquity P-90 Set]
                              #2: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster [Tonerider TRT2 Set]
                              #3: Hamer Sunburst MIK [Pearly Gates Set]
                              #4: Agile AL-2000 [59/JB Set]
                              #5: Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster [Stock Singles]
                              Amp Head: Egnater Tweaker 15 [Tung-Sol & JJ Tubes]
                              Amp Cabinet: Chilly Bird Pro Audio Oversized Closed Back 1x12 [Eminence Wizard]
                              Brim Pedaltrain Mini: Pitchblack, Dual unLTD, SUF Violet Ramshead, R-S Phaser, TC Flashback. Pod HD Desktop.

Comment

Working...
                              X