Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedalboard/metal overdrive recommendations

I still need advice on a pedalboard, a big one

Also, I'm looking to "ballpark" a metal-ish tone with an overdrive into my cranked Twin. It already sounds pretty heavy and chunky turned up to 8 with the les paul, and I can get all the gain I need to have a "high gain tone" with a tubescreamer, the problem is the TS is just too warm and middy and vintagey sounding to really pull it off. Plus I rock the neck pickup or middle position almost exclusively so when I switch to the bridge for more clarity I lose a lot of low end, and I don't wanna replace the bridge cause I'm in love with the middle position right now

So basically what I'm looking for is

-Low gain, not a "distortion pedal" by any means
    -Adds low end, maybe a little "scooped" overall
    -Relatively compressed tone

This is ideally the kinda sound I'd be goin for, but again with a twin I know the best I can do is ballpark

Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: pedalboard/metal overdrive recommendations

www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Rat.
      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Marshall Guv'nor falls into those parameters.

Comment

zw44

Comment

this.

Comment

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the best low end retaining od I've used is the mxr classic od or gt-od. Also, there are a few digitech options with low end control such as hardwire od or bad monkey. You probably already know this, but The Sword uses ehx metal muffs.

Comment

I've never owned a rat, but i see people complaining about them lacking lows constantly

Yeah one of the dudes in the sword uses a metal muff, but I tried it and I don't really dig it. Plus I'm more looking for an overdrive.

ZW would be perfect if it added some lows...What's up with that Way Huge? I haven't heard anything metal-ish on any of the demos...

Anyone have experience with this'un?

Also, anyone else on the guv'nor? I read somewhere that the lead player from the sword used one on the second album
                Last edited by drew_half_empty; 08-15-2011, 03:12 AM.
                Originally posted by gibson175
                metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

OCD? I use it as my main distortion... I know the dude in Russian Circles uses one as his main too, and his tone is pretty heavy

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                    I've never owned a rat, but i see people complaining about them lacking lows constantly
                    Really? Not I, sir. In fact, that's a little surprising to me, though I guess I only have limited experience with real Rat 1s and 2s.

If the next store you're at has a You Dirty Rat, you should give it a blast. More low end than you'll know what to do with. Plenty of nice, thick gain on the first half of the knob, more thickness and fuzziness on the second half. Nice amounts of compression that increases as you raise the gain, too (I think maxing out at 3db).

Anyway. Just a suggestion.

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
                    OCD? I use it as my main distortion... I know the dude in Russian Circles uses one as his main too, and his tone is pretty heavy
                    Russian Circles, you say? OCD, you say? Distortion, you say? Hmm...

Last edited by Kam; 08-15-2011, 04:40 AM. Reason: Well, that was quite the mis-click...
                    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Just get an old HM2, it will do the trick.....

Comment

Just for a laugh i detuned to c and had an experiment with my twin to see what might work.
                        i didnt bother with any tubescreamers or variations but having a bunch i can tell you this: a zakk will suck lows the same as a tube screamer.
                        A rat will sound fake on its own thru a twin - even a sexy lm308 one.
                        A ds1 sounds like a ds1.
                        the GT500 is close, but no cigar.
                        i even tried a fuzz face for a laugh. nup.
                        MI Audio Tube zone came close.
                        im expecting a box of rock to turn up soon, so if youy have not got a pedal by then, ill let you know if its any good for that sound from a twin.
                        Anyway...im thinking none of my pedals will do it convincingly, and im not sure if its really gonna work thru a twin at all, but i have to admit i only had the twin set at "3".

but mebbe this thing is worth checking out?
                        he gets a pretty good sound with a DRRI, and a twin will give you more definition and bottom end than one of those, so worth considering...
                        p.s. guvnors are cool, but i have not plugged into one for 20 years.
                        Last edited by Chickenwings; 08-15-2011, 06:12 AM.
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                          ...I can get all the gain I need to have a "high gain tone" with a tubescreamer, the problem is the TS is just too warm and middy and vintagey sounding to really pull it off...
                          MXR Classic Distortion

It's not really a distortion pedal, so much as an overdrive with a more aggressive sound. I have the Classic OD & Classic Distortion and solely use the distortion as it adds what my Bogner needs. So if you like the TS, but want more modern, aggressive tone, give the Classic Distortion a try (supposedly the same as an MXR Distortion III, though I can't confirm).

Comment

I think a Barber Direct Drive or Super Sport would be just right for hitting an amp that is breaking up to get thick, heavier tones.
                            -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
                            -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

A Rat will do what you describe, no lack of low end either, not sure where you heard that.

The MXR Distortion III/Classic Distortion is a good suggestion for something more round and less fuzzy than the Rat, but won't be as tight. An OD-3 might work too, more gain and boost than an SD-1/TS9, even EQ, full low end. I think it might suit your style more.

I'll let you borrow my OD-3 for a bit if you want, I'm not using it right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X