pedalboard/metal overdrive recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pedalboard/metal overdrive recommendations

Wow, your twin is cranked up to 8? Are your ears bleeding yet? Do your neighbors routinely call the swat team on you?

In all seriousness, something as simple as an sd-1 might do the job for you. It'll add some assymetrical clipping to your already overdriven tone. Unfortunately I don't have a twin to crank to 8 so I can't test this myself, but I've used the sd-1 for this application with other amps before.
    "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      Just for a laugh i detuned to c and had an experiment with my twin to see what might work.
      i didnt bother with any tubescreamers or variations but having a bunch i can tell you this: a zakk will suck lows the same as a tube screamer.
      A rat will sound fake on its own thru a twin - even a sexy lm308 one.
      A ds1 sounds like a ds1.
      the GT500 is close, but no cigar.
      i even tried a fuzz face for a laugh. nup.
      MI Audio Tube zone came close.
      im expecting a box of rock to turn up soon, so if youy have not got a pedal by then, ill let you know if its any good for that sound from a twin.
      Anyway...im thinking none of my pedals will do it convincingly, and im not sure if its really gonna work thru a twin at all, but i have to admit i only had the twin set at "3".

but mebbe this thing is worth checking out?
      he gets a pretty good sound with a DRRI, and a twin will give you more definition and bottom end than one of those, so worth considering...
      p.s. guvnors are cool, but i have not plugged into one for 20 years.
      The Nobels was going to be my recommendation as well.

If you want something more versatile with SERIOUSLY thumping low end, look no further than the Wampler Triple Wreck.

Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Box of Rock doesn't have enough gain for metal. Boosted, sure, but not alone. I'd love to try the Distortron though.

Another +1 for the Nobels. It's the next pedal I'm buying.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

i didn't find the Zakk sucking any lows when I had it

i traded it for a Metal Muff and do not regret that...but I wouldn't mind another ZWOD someday, or the GT-OD with the li'l mini switch that turns it into the ZWOD.

the ZWOD definitely has a subtle scoop to the tone...i'd use it for 80's metal riffs as well as NOFX / Rancid-style powerpunk riffs. I ended up preferring the gnarlier / midrangier / 70'ser Route 808 for most of what I do but I do like the tone of the ZWOD.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I have a new Wampler Triple wreck for sale. They are a good pedal but I can't get happy with it.
            Good trades/deals with Dominus, Rich#6, Lazyfingers, SAVAGE DISTORTION and ErikH.

Comment

Eh the triple wreck seems too much like a pedal you'd wanna use in front of a clean amp

Izzo's lettin me borrow his rat, if that doesn't work out that odr-1 thing looks pretty cool, and it's only a hundred bucks...
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Try an HM2 please! My cousin hates metal and he almost managed to sneak out of the house with mine this weekend, I can't believe I was contemplating selling it!

Comment

HM-2 is a great pedal, you can still get them cheap on ebay.
                  "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I'll let him try my HM-2 when he gives me the Rat and OD-3 back.

Comment

This is absolutely, 100% NOT the sound I'm goin for.

I'm stoked to try out the rat and od-3 though

Israel you listen to The Sword, what pedal sounds the most like the first album, or the intro to Death Rides A Horse by Russian Circles
                      Originally posted by gibson175
                      metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

The HM-2 works as an OD with the distortion just above 0, pretty well actually. The EQ is still functional too, so you can boost the low or high end. The high doesn't work as well, pretty nasty when it's up, but as a bass boost it's pretty cool. Not what you're looking for though, I keep it for the swedish chainsaw thing, but yeah.

The Rat can get you pretty close to that tone, the Age of Winters stuff sounds like a Distortion+ in front of a dirtyish amp to me, and the RC tone is pretty similar.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post

I'm stoked to try out the rat and od-3 though

Israel you listen to The Sword, what pedal sounds the most like the first album, or the intro to Death Rides A Horse by Russian Circles
                          Thats not super representative of what it can do. Its all about the dirty amp that you are hitting with it.
                          "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post

this is one of the funniest things ive read here.

Comment

The dude in Trap Them uses a Boss HM-2. Two of them I believe into an Ampeg V4. He gets some brutal tones outta that thing.

Comment

Yeah, Izzi uses them, Black Breath dudes, Rotten Sound, Dismember, old Entombed...

Comment

Working...
                                X