• PRE-AMPS: What do V1-V4 control?

My VHT came stock with this set up.

V1: Sovtek 12AX7WB
    V2: Shuguang 12Ax7
    V3: Shuguang 12Ax7
    V4 (driver) Shuguang 12Ax7

What do all these V's control?
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Re: PRE-AMPS: What do V1-V4 control?

Check the manual, it will tell you.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

It definitely depends from amp to amp. And remember that each tube has two amplification stages, at least in a 12A*7. In a typical Marshall-style amp, I think the setup is something like this:
      V1 - First input gain stage, to bring the level up to something the preamp can work with.
      V1 - Second gain stage, where you might get a bit of clipping, depending on the drive levels.
      V2 - Third gain stage.
      V2 - Current driver for the power section. If I understand things correctly, this may not be terribly important in overall tone, especially compared to the V1 gain stages.
      V3 - Phase inverter, where one stage passes basically an unaltered preamp signal, and the other stage passes the same input signal 180 degrees out of phase. Basically the opposite. I'm not sure anything other than a class A/B amp has the phase inverter.

I think the Fryette designs use that extra tube for the two drive knobs. One controls the first, and one controls the second. If I were a betting man (or if I had the schematics), I would guess that V1 is the most important, and V4 is the PI.

Comment

Wizzy - so ddef get really good ones for one and four? How important are 2 and 3?
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Originally posted by Gear Used
        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

In my experience, your most noticeable tone changes are in V1. If I were you, I'd buy a Tung-Sol, a Sovtek LPS, and a JJ. I hate JJs, but if I were forced to choose one, I'd take the long plate. I'd try each of those in V1, and keep what you like in there. I'm going to assume for a second you like the Tung-Sol best there.

Then, take the JJ and put it in V4. That'll give you a comparison against what are typically considered bright tubes (the Chinese ones). Then, put the Sovtek in there and see what you think. My thinking is that some detail and clarity will be heard with the Sovtek that you don't hear in the JJ.

Finally, whichever tube you have left over, try it out in V2 and V3 to see if there's a noticeable difference. If you like it, great. If not, keep what you have or buy some EHX tubes. But I think that's a good starting point that won't break the bank. It'll also give you an idea of what type of tubes you like in what position.

Comment

Working...
          X