banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade my XXX Combo for Blackstar HT-20 Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade my XXX Combo for Blackstar HT-20 Head?

I am dead set on getting rid of my xxx combo. The main reason being that I have a cabinet now, so a nice small head will be lighter and take up less space. I think the xxx tone is excellent, it is a dream for metal, the cleans are pretty decent, the midgain classic rock range is pretty hard to dial in without nearly turning the gain to zero.

I love the specs on the ht-20. I can line it right in for recording, 20 watts is plenty loud for me. I'm not playing live right now and if I end up playing loud again with a drummer I'm sure the ht-20 will do just fine.

My plan is to visit a few guitar shops and try it out of course, and also see if I can get a good trade in deal. They will likely give me very little for the xxx, so I'll also try to sell my amp on craigslist.

So the purpose of this thread is to find out what you think of the blackstar ht-20. I like to play jazz,blues,country,classic rock,metal. However, I lean towards metal 80% of the time. My only concern is the class A amp holding up to loud tight metal riffing, other than than it seems like a perfect amp for a mainly bedroom player with aspirations to play with a band again at some point.

Little amps, big sound. HT MkII series offer low wattage valve performance for home and studio recording.

Re: Trade my XXX Combo for Blackstar HT-20 Head?

I tried a blackstar amp at my favorite local shop. i remember it had a LOT of gain and clarity. if its that amp series, then YES! pick it up.

Comment

I do find it a little strange that I am supposed to take a hit, financially, for this trade. On one side you have a made in the usa, somewhat rare, COMBO, 40 watts, built in effects. Then on the other side you have a made in korea, available anywhere and everywhere,20 watts, head. If the market was fair I would get able to trade straight up, but realistically I'm not sure what a shop could sell my xxx combo for, possibly the same or less than a new ht-20 I guess. I'd love to try and trade on the forum but I'm not even going to get into amp shipping, sounds like a nightmare.

Comment

I have the HT 20 head and like it a lot. The cleans are very good and the gain channel is thick. I played it along with Sabbath Iron Man and I think you can dial in that exact tone without much trouble. You can also dime the clean channel for breakup.

Also very good at low volumes which is a nice thing.

It does a lot for the money and even though they claim it does dual recto gain, I think it's a little shy of that. It's not bad but it lacks some of the complexity you can get from Mesa.

Still at about a fifth the price it isn't bad.

Comment

I'd do it just for the fact that you're getting out of the combo game. And I think my HT-5 is pretty cool. I would imagine the HT-20 is even better. By the way, I think that as far as staying clear goes, the HT-5 is hard to beat, when it comes to high-gainers.

Comment

I might be the only one but I wouldn't... sorry. I think the Blackstars are all the rage right now but still. They appear to be great amps for the money but your xxx, especially if you like it this much would be a keeper compared to the BStar.

If you still like the XXX, why not just turn it into a head? House the amp/part into a head cabinet and store the combo somewhere. You'll have your good cab with your favorite head.

Even though they seem/are good amps, the blackstars will one day decline in popularity (they'll be replaced by another flavor of the month/year) and you'll be able to afford one for much cheaper than new and then have your 2 heads...why not?

Or: you could do just what you want and not listen to me... either way I'm good.

Comment

I should add that I've never played through a XXX so I can't say whether it's better to keep yours or trade for the BS.

I have heard them mostly because I've played on bills with other bands that usedthem. They seem to do the Dual Recto thing pretty well.

Comment

Bear in mind that the HT series are like their pedals. This amp has only 2 pre-amp tubes and uses a combination of tubes and S/S components. Not a wholly tube amp which may or may not bother you.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                  If you still like the XXX, why not just turn it into a head? House the amp/part into a head cabinet and store the combo somewhere. You'll have your good cab with your favorite head..
                  This is a great idea. I've never done any amp work of any kind. Obviously there is a lot of info about this that I will search, but how involved is it to remove the head and to find a suitable head cabinet? There is a real reverb tank in the combo cabinet, what happens to that?

Edit: I looked into this, might be a little too much for me to take on. The xxx isn't really my dream amp, it is just an exceptional metal amp for the price.
                  Last edited by Franknfilms; 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I thinking about just cutting my cabinet into a head. I figure this is how I would do it.

-Remove speaker
                    -Remove all amp parts/reverb tank
                    -Remove the metal covers on the bottom covers
                    -Figure out how to detach the bottom so I can reuse it, I'll probably have to cut it
                    -Cut the cabinet to head size, leaving enough room for the reverb tank
                    -Cut front tolex to size as well
                    -Put the guts back in
                    -Reattach bottom
                    -Re-wire:
                    The xxx by default splits signal with internal speaker and speaker cabinet. However, the previous owner installed a switch that lets you send completely to the cabinet. I just need to figure out how to wire the existing output jack to send to the cabinet and get rid of that switch and the wires that go to the internal speaker.

Obviously I'm in way over my head here, but this all seems like logical stuff...anyone want to persuade or dissuade me from doing this??? Any risk in taking apart the amp? I'm not sure how sensitive the parts are or if I could end up killing myself with it. I figure If I'm not completely disassembling the unit there won't be anything dangerous exposed.
                    Last edited by Franknfilms; 09-06-2011, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't go sawing it in half or anything. Just get a headshell made to the correct size, remove the chassis from your combo and fit it into the new headshell. That way it's completely reversible and you don't destroy the resale value. There's a company here in the UK that offer this service. I assume that custom cab companies in the US would offer something similar upon request. I've been thinking about doing the same with my Laney AOR combo.
                      Last edited by Kam; 09-06-2011, 09:53 AM.
                      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

It's not that much work to make an enclosure if you're the least bit handy with woodworking. You can go really fancy or really basic...
                        Here's a thread about one that I built: Really easy.

PM me if I can help you...

You can lay the reverb tank at the bottom just like it's done in the cabinet if you suspend the head from the top of the enclosure as it would be in the combo.

Your cutting strategy seems to make sense though. The only problem will be the resale of the amp afterwards if you worry about that stuff. It's a XXX so if memory serves well the maket's not too crazy about them anyway.
                        Last edited by Surgeon; 09-06-2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

It's not that much work to make an enclosure if you're the least bit handy with woodworking. You can go really fancy or really basic...

You can lay the reverb tank at the bottom just like it's done in the cabinet if you suspend the head from the top of the enclosure as it would be in the combo.

Your cutting strategy seems to make sense though. The only problem will be the resale of the amp afterwards if you worry about that stuff. It's a XXX so if memory serves well the maket's not too crazy about them anyway.
                          That's awesome, man. Nice work. What kind of wood did you use to build it and what method did you use to join it?
                          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not handy with woodworking but my dad is, he used to be a shop teacher and has made some furniture for me. This would be a good project for us to work on together. I just want to do what is easiest and cheapest. What do you think is easiest and cheapest? Cut existing combo? Or make one from scratch? The reason I lean toward cutting the combo is that I like the tolex and the overall look, this ain't a vintage amp so having the wood exposed seems a bit weird for a metal amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                              That's awesome, man. Nice work. What kind of wood did you use to build it and what method did you use to join it?
                              It's just pinewood really.

I don't know/remember the name of the joint-technique but it's pretty simple and I've used the same to build speaker cabs (quite solid). Each 2 sides of a corner are joined together by screws through a square 1"x1" wood dowel on the inside. Screws go from the inside from 2 directions. Glue is also applied on joined surfaces between the dowel and the panel.

Dunno if that makes sense or not the way I explained it though... I'll try to find pictures of what I mean later tonight...

Comment

Working...
                              X