banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contest - Think You Can Tell a "Real" Amp from its Model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Contest - Think You Can Tell a "Real" Amp from its Model?

To say I was way off would be an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
      here's my general take on the issue:

From a recording, it's usually quite difficult to tell the difference. The good amp modellers when dialed in correctly, sound very, very close to the real thing on "tape".

The real difference to me is when I play through a modeller versus the actual unit. It's all about the feel and response of the thing, and in those scenarios I indeed can tell the difference almost every time.
      That's the correct thought. The thing with modelers, imo, is that for the purpose of having fun and rehearsing, they are awesome. Those are situations when you don't have to be fanatic about tone.

Plus there's this really cool vibe about being digital, that i can't explain. I love a great valve tone, but i HAVE TO HAVE a good digital modeler too.
      Last edited by Filipe Marquez; 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM.
      Nullius In Verba

Comment

Originally posted by tonedeaf1 View Post
        Interesting, it's always been MOSTLY (99%) about sound for the tube guys.Smooth power tube saturation and odd harmonics versus harsh diode clipping and even harmonics, sweet organic goodness versus cold sterile crappiness, and all that. But now that it comes down to sound, all of a sudden it's ALL about "feel". Priceless.
        That's probably because good models have your TONE covered, you only just need to add some more dynamics and fullness to the sound. Plus it should be all about the music, for everyone (or at least 99%).
        Nullius In Verba

Comment

I think the contest is An interesting exercise. It also reveals some of the unusual thinking processes of musicians.

I don't see folks evangelizing the use of modelers. I DO see the tube snobs doing it for tube amps.

If you like your amp, USE IT!

Yet trying to prove how awful modelers are doesn't work with the way the technology is evolving.

I like my tube amp. I spent an hour with it last night.

Yet I gig almost exclusively with a POD. The variety of tone options is a necessity for my music. The simplicity of load in and setup is great, too.

Play with the equipment that inspires you.
          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
          X