banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we as an Amp Forum behind the times ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are we as an Amp Forum behind the times ?

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
    I can safely say I'm behind the times on nearly everything including amps, yes.
    Me too. And I'm okay with that. I like the sounds I get out of my humble guitars and amps.
    Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
    I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

I've got one. A high gain 5 watter.
      "Gourmet Tone at a fraction of the price"

Comment

I think the people and the questions posed on this forum are closer to real life than many of the other forums out there. I think that's mainly because the questions posed here are very similar to the ones that get asked in my shop. 90% of my regulars are performing musicians.

I think there is a higher percentage of gigging musicians on this site than many others...I base that on the questions and comments that go on here. They are more realistic questions and generally a request for opinions on gear and whatnot that performing musicians use. There isn't a lot of fluff, chest beating or general BS here.

Of the customers hat I have that can afford and do own high end amps...maybe one or two actually gig with them. Mainly they use an old workhorse that the know will deliver what the crowd wants and not leave them hanging. Plus, as they all say, the crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow.

This forum isn't behind the times...it IS real musicians asking and commenting on topics that are relevant to actual musicians that play for actual audiences. Then again, I'd hang out at the YMCA long before I'd go hang at a country club!
        Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

I think it helps that SDUGF is an aftermarket forum, but the company itself isn't a boutique company. You get the younger crowd that's looking to hotrod their player with readily accessible parts rather than the cork sniffing crowd that's looking to replace the stock pickups in their $6000 guitar.

That, and with the younger crowd comes a stronger taste for more modern music, so there's less turning up of the nose towards hardware with modern features and tonality.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
            I think the people and the questions posed on this forum are closer to real life than many of the other forums out there. I think that's mainly because the questions posed here are very similar to the ones that get asked in my shop. 90% of my regulars are performing musicians.

I think there is a higher percentage of gigging musicians on this site than many others...I base that on the questions and comments that go on here. They are more realistic questions and generally a request for opinions on gear and whatnot that performing musicians use. There isn't a lot of fluff, chest beating or general BS here.

Of the customers hat I have that can afford and do own high end amps...maybe one or two actually gig with them. Mainly they use an old workhorse that the know will deliver what the crowd wants and not leave them hanging. Plus, as they all say, the crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow.

This forum isn't behind the times...it IS real musicians asking and commenting on topics that are relevant to actual musicians that play for actual audiences. Then again, I'd hang out at the YMCA long before I'd go hang at a country club!
            Originally posted by some_dude View Post
            I think it helps that SDUGF is an aftermarket forum, but the company itself isn't a boutique company. You get the younger crowd that's looking to hotrod their player with readily accessible parts rather than the cork sniffing crowd that's looking to replace the stock pickups in their $6000 guitar.

That, and with the younger crowd comes a stronger taste for more modern music, so there's less turning up of the nose towards hardware with modern features and tonality.
            These two make one post of win.

/thread
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
              I think a lot of this boutique amp stuff is "What can i buy that sounds like a Marshall, but costs 5x a much and has a 6 month waiting list?".
              THANK YOU
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
                I think a lot of this boutique amp stuff is "What can i buy that sounds like a Marshall, but costs 5x a much and has a 6 month waiting list?".

Anyways, phaez amps aren't that expensive... Don't get me wrong guys, I absolutely share your thoughts about the boutique crowd... Yet, simply saying that those guys aren't super expensive and all... Here, check it out:

I haven't played any. Only know of their Trainwreck Express clone with 6V6s...

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Their/his (?) asking prices does seem to make it seem like good value.
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

ho-hum

probably another one of the 50 or so cats out there buying Weber kits and putting them in their own cabinets

yawnzilla. i'll take a marshall vintage modern or a vox night train 50 any day of the week please and thank you.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

They look really nice & well made & they are also reasonable. I have no need for one though. I am done shopping or amps.
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I think we are a group of more practical guys and gals with real world uses and budgets. I dont frequent LP forum and TGP cuz last time I did, alot of the members seemed real hung up on jumping from the latest boutique fad and sometimes were condensending to those who cant afford such high dollar toys..

another thing too, I think we are a tighter community of friends and we call each other out (or Iceman) if someone starts blowing off about purchasing something extravagant and cant back it up.

looks nice.. If I were to buy another amp, id get a Bogner XTC or a friedman with the brown eye mod..
                        Last edited by BloodRose; 09-08-2011, 02:18 PM.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

^ true say! most of us have been here so long that we don't mind pokin fun at eachother or bustin chops.

like how Gearjoneser (owner of probably the best amps and guitars on the forum) won a free Fender modeling combo...I MEAN COME ON! hahaha
                          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                            They look really nice & well made & they are also reasonable. I have no need for one though. I am done shopping for amps.
                            U Sir are a very lucky man . . . i will never be able to make that statement, not in 10 life times.
                            But then again, why would i want too
                            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                            X