Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• somethings bugging the ess outta me

Its 2;30 a.m and I came to Amp Central and I have to inquire about this.;

Player X got his famous tone by use of Amp Y and Pedal Z..

and i'm trying to nail that tone, so I got pedal Z, but no way i can get amp Y..

you followin' me mate ?...

...So i get this bright idea, see... why not run the 'pedal in a box' copy of amp Y right after Pedal Z ( in this case inot a Fender Superrack 60 amp) thus copping Player X's tone to a T!?

Would this sorta thing workat all? I know this is a bit vague, so let me specify....;

Jimmy Page used an Old Supro, with a Vox Tonebender distortion or fuzz on Zepp1,
    so I'm thinking of using the Supro in a box BJFE Honeybee right after the Tonebender ( both clones of course) into a Fender Super rack 60 amp to get closer to the sound of Zepp1 than just the tonebender alone through the fender amp.

Could this cockamamie scheme work?
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 09-08-2011, 01:44 AM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: somethings bugging the ess outta me

It gives a cheap characterization of Player X's tone.

One of my fav dudes uses a blues driver into a JCM900 or a orange OD120. No freaking way I can get away with either amp. I run my blues driver into a crunch box.

I'm missing a certain sparkle and sweetness, and it really keeps my tone from hitting that guy's tone. It's a fun combination of pedals to play though.

Worst case scenario is you get nothing like Player X's tone, but I'll bet that you'll find something that sounds good.

Comment

no. but its worth a go!
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
        no. but its worth a go!
        And of course some sound clips
        "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
        "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
        "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
        "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

what happened to the thread on the japanese strat, that thing's awesome.

sounds like you'd be a great candidate for a modeller (one of the newer line 6's) - you could mix and match til your heart's delight and probably get in the ball park.

Comment

Jerry should get one of the Line 6/Bogner Spider Valve heads. I've had 2 come through the shop I brought home to play around with. The tones through a good cabinet with good speakers is amazing. With the presets, they do just about anything, and I usually hate modeling amps. It's a tube amp and sounds like a tube amp. The only thing that keeps me from getting and keeping one is that Line 6 logo.

Comment

Whatever is supposed to be in a box isn't. It wont fit.

I doubt that cascading pedals will get you any closer to nailing a certain tone than experimenting with several different pedals individually and tweaking the heck out of them and the amp that you already use.
              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Playing like a certain player will get you closer than two pedals will.
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

The sooner you stop thinking "how do I sound like player x" the sooner you'll start having fun playing guitar.

Seriously.
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

ditto.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

'cause you'll never sound like him anyway.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                        The sooner you stop thinking "how do I sound like player x" the sooner you'll start having fun playing guitar.

Seriously.
                        Plus one, don't think about sounding exactly like someone else because no one wants to listen to a copy cat.
                        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Working...
                        X