New tube reccomendations, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tube reccomendations, please

For the new Class 5. I am really unfamiliar with "the best" EL84s, and wondering what people would recommend for 12ax7s.

I'd love to have some NOS, if the price is do-able, but also some modern less expensive recommendations would be great (and a supplier recco for that matter for both NEw and NOS ).

I can tell you that IME, I do not like JJ 12ax7s, as they are dark and compressed, but otherwise I'm open to suggestions.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: New tube reccomendations, please

Tung-Sol 12ax7's.......Like them in every amp I've tried them in. Only familiar with the Mullard EL-84's I stuck in my VOX Night Train, they're getting the job done nicely.....
    Last edited by metlking; 09-24-2011, 08:54 AM.
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

yeah tungs are really nice and clear and articulate for the pres, but dont let your dislike of jjs stop you from getting them in the power section they are fatter than most el34s in the bottom end.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Bought a RCA off ebay, sounds pretty good and smoothed the gain out. There is one out there now for 30 and a few other brands.
        tone slut
        Marshall DSL 40C
        Fender EVH Striped Series
        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
        Fender Squier Tele Affinity
        Mogami cables

Comment

I am running Tung Sol EL84's and really like them. Tried a bunch of different brands in my Jet City but really felt they were the best match. Nice thing is they are readily available and a good price.

12AX7's man they are so "salt to taste" for me, I am all over the map with those.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I will advise against JJ EL84s.

I ran them in my Blackheart EL84 head, and it was terrible. Worse than the crappy Chinese glass that came in it. No low end, clammy, fizzy, and harsh.
            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

yeah the JJ el84 is pretty harsh. I think they tried to make it very "strong" sounding but something just made it have a blaring quality.

Sovteks are better than JJs, IMO, and Tung-sols are even better.

Comment

Tung-sols or Electro Harmonix. But what is wrong with the stock tubes of the Class 5?
                Widow - "we have songs".
                Originally posted by Aceman
                Mega gain pup plus mega gain amp usually equals mega crap.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks- any good suppliers (online) you could recommend?

As for the stock tubes, they very well might be better to my ears than some other stuff I put in it, but IME, Marshall's stock tubes suck. I've always got better less congested tone with something of higher quality. I'm going to experiment with the 12ax7s/ECC83s I have around here, and see what those do for the tone, and then work my way from there I guess.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Get some of these .
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                      Get some of these .
                      As soon as I win the lotto. Good thing I don't need a quad, they cost more than the amp did!

Comment

When Peavey put out that tweed Classic line in the early 90's they also had blister packs of EL84 pairs sent out to dealers.

Those tubes were nice @ $12.99 for the pair. To the tune of "those were the days".

Comment

Originally posted by gOgIver View Post
                          When Peavey put out that tweed Classic line in the early 90's they also had blister packs of EL84 pairs sent out to dealers.

Those tubes were nice @ $12.99 for the pair. To the tune of "those were the days".

I remember when a pack of smokes was $1.25 too, Ike!

Comment

Where do you get Tung-Sol EL84s? And I don't think JJ EL84s are necessarily bad. I think it has a lot to do with the bias as to how harsh they sound.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                              Where do you get Tung-Sol EL84s? .
                              yeah, based on the 4 or 5 websites I have checked out I've not been able to find any new ones, but did see some HERE for NOS

Comment

Working...
                              X