Fuzzface question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzzface question

Why in the blue bloody hell doesnt anyone make a Germanium NKT275 AND a BC108 SWITCHABLE , and housed in the same box?? As far as I know its the exact same circuit.
    It seems from what little I know is like one is negative ground, and one is positive or something, and you can't just swap tranny on the same board , and you'd have to have two different boards that could be switched somehow.. but I have no idea.
    Its not like the circuit is humongous.. they are small and can fit into a normal round Fuzzface box easily...is there something I'm missing?
    C'mon fuzzface cloners ...get on the ball!
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 09-22-2011, 05:44 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Fuzzface question

the problem is that the power requirements are totally opposite from each other, you'd need to have essentially two separate pedals and A/B between the two of them.

but then you'd need A/B/Bypass and I dunno how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
      the problem is that the power requirements are totally opposite from each other, you'd need to have essentially two separate pedals and A/B between the two of them.

but then you'd need A/B/Bypass and I dunno how to do that.
      Couldnt those two seperate pedals be housed within that same round fuzzface box, or even a medium sized square box, with the A/B/Y incorparated into the box?
      Wonder how GE and Si would sound togeher?
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

The Wampler Leviathan fuzz has both a Germanium and a Silicon diode, with a toggle to switch between them (marked "roar" and "rumble"). Is that something like what you're talking about? I have one, awesome pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpinter View Post
          The Wampler Leviathan fuzz has both a Germanium and a Silicon diode, with a toggle to switch between them (marked "roar" and "rumble"). Is that something like what you're talking about? I have one, awesome pedal.
          No, I mean the Si BC108 and the GE NKT275 transistors.;

Last edited by MetalManiac; 09-22-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I'd guess one of them is NPN, and the other is PNP then. Which means a total different board internally and separate controls. Maybe if you bought both and stuck them touching on your board you could pretend they were together

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
              Maybe if you bought both and stuck them touching on your board you could pretend they were together

or they could make one in the same housing..
              Last edited by MetalManiac; 09-22-2011, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Retroman Sybil...

Good or bad, no idea...I'm almost positive that his NKT are not amazing but they might be...
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Theo is out of reliable matched and good sounding NKT275 trannies, but apart from that, here is what you are after jerry.

Last edited by Chickenwings; 09-22-2011, 06:02 PM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                    Theo is out of NKT275 trannies, but apart from that, here is what you are after jerry.

http://www.hartmanelectronicstore.co...LARGEWHITE.jpg

http://www.hartmanelectronicstore.co...-Pedal-SFZ.htm
                    Unfortunately, I just bought and had to return a non-operational Hartman Bc108 Fuzzpedal. So I couldnt really trust Hartmann again, even though it might be just one "pig in a poke" as they say, and perhaps the distributors fault.It had a bad pot i think. It would cut out at the low and high point of the volume pots travel.

From what I heard of it, it didnt really knock me off my feet as to say- "Thats Jimi"!
                    Last edited by MetalManiac; 09-22-2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Theo makes great stuff but I still fear his NKT's...there are too many guys sellign them today and many of them are very low quality or fake...

Again, Retroman offers a Si/Ge with NKT's and BC's in it...

I have to ask, why the must have on the NKT's??
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                        Theo makes great stuff but I still fear his NKT's...there are too many guys sellign them today and many of them are very low quality or fake...

Again, Retroman offers a Si/Ge with NKT's and BC's in it...

I have to ask, why the must have on the NKT's??
                        I read where they are considered the sweetest of all the GE Transistors.
                        What others would be acceptable for early Hendrix Eperience?

Heres a great Website I found deatailing the Fuzzfaces;

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                          I read where they are considered the sweetest of all the GE Transistors.
                          What others would be acceptable for early Hendrix Eperience?

Heres a great Website I found deatailing the Fuzzfaces;

http://www.custom-sounds.com/Artikke...by-David-Morin
                          So, you read something and have now decided to go with them...without trying them for yourself???

They are the best, IMHO for early Hendrix IF YOU GET THE RIGHT VERSION OF THE NKT275's...also keep this in mind, good ANYTHING woudl better than bad NKT's...

NKT's are very hard to find and to be honest are a pretty bad transistor so most of the real NOS ones that turn up are not really useable in a Fuzz Face...

The thing to me about early Jimi era is the amount of gain in the Fuzz Face tones...many newer Ge Fuzz Face copies simply have too much gain to get those sounds but the truth is that a low gain Fuzz Face is very hard to use with a Strat because they lack sustain and mopst of them lack clarity.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this junk for days but in a nut shell my opinion is this....number one, don't bother with a 2-in-1 unless you just have to, often times 2 pedals might yeild 2 great sounds and a 2-in-1 can often just give 2 sort of decent sounds.

Second, don't worry about the numbers printed on the side of the tranny...get a high quality Ge Fuzz Face clone from a solid builder that has good trannys and knows how to match them and tune the circiut and roll with it...if you want a Jimi style tone tell said builder and let them roll with it...

Anyway...carry on!

Comment

BTW...that guy is wrong more that once...

There is LOTS of GOOD Fuzz Face into on the net, dig and read all you want but my advise still stands...

Comment

yeah NKT275s are famous. I have one of theo hartmans NKT models, but you can get other germ trannies to sound just as good. You also have to bear in mind that those old germ trannnies are wildly inconsisitent, and to get a matched and good sounding pair is getting harder and harder cos all the solder sniffers (like me!) snapped them up.
                              Other germ trannies if matched and biased properly can sound just as cool. NKTs were used in the fuzzyfaces that hendrix had modded my Roger Mayer, so they have attained an almost mythical quality, but you can ask TGWIF....lots of germ fuzzes can sound super groovy. Better to have a matched and working pair of other germs than a poorly operating pedal thats only value is the fact that it has NKT275 stamped on the trannies.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X