N.A.D.: I think I finally found it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.A.D.: I think I finally found it!

Can it be? Have I found an amp I can bond with? The true test will be my upcoming show this weekend in Denver, but my first couple of hours with it had me saying "whoa" under my breath instead of shaking my head. I've never turned the bass down and the treble/presence up on an amp before, but this one is FAT.

After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: N.A.D.: I think I finally found it!

Interesting- thats really kinda far away from what you were tinkering with in the past couple of weeks, AJ.

That said, they are cool amps, in particular I like the LS Special.

FWIW- you should probably look into a ElectraDyne as well if you dig the LS.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
      Interesting- thats really kinda far away from what you were tinkering with in the past couple of weeks, AJ.

That said, they are cool amps, in particular I like the LS Special.

FWIW- you should probably look into a ElectraDyne as well if you dig the LS.
      You're telling me, it's pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum. I demoed a few amps and used my ears this time (what a concept!), and this is what came out on top.

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire View Post
        You're telling me, it's pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum. I demoed a few amps and used my ears this time (what a concept!), and this is what came out on top.
        All that matters bro- what sounds right to YOU!
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Where in Dever are you playing? I have a gig downtown Thursday.
          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
            Where in Dever are you playing? I have a gig downtown Thursday.
            Toad Tavern on Friday night.

Comment

Hmmmmm, how ironic!
              Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
                Hmmmmm, how ironic!
                You're telling me! I found an "amp hunt" thread I started in 2009 where I said this:

If I had my way I'd run out and buy a Mesa Lonestar tomorrow, but I just don't have the budget for that right now.

Comment

AJ, I have had it up to here with you and your amp search!
                  my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                    AJ, I have had it up to here with you and your amp search!
                    Dude, I was getting super frustrated. I was really looking forward to the Emplexador and it caused an immediate sour face, I knew within 10 minutes that I wasn't keeping it.

I'm digging the Lonestar's flexibility. It can go from Twin-like cleans to that fluid Mark-series gain, but with the drive switch off and the gain cranked channel 2 can do some old-school classic rock BARK too. The wattage options and rectifier switch do a lot to change the tone and feel, too.

Today I'm going to play with something the manual suggests trying - loading the amp with four 6V6 power tubes, plugging an 8 ohm cab into the 4 ohm jack, and running the power switch in the variac'd "Tweed" position.

Comment

Wonderful amps!

I've wanted one for sometime. Just not in my price range right now.
                      Myspace,GoodbyeJune Myspace

Comment

I've been able to spend a good deal of time with this amp at various volumes now, and I'm still digging it. I'm looking forward to some studio and live dates with it coming up this month.

Comment

The lone Star is the only boogie that I could get to do what I wanted. I've always found Mesas & Boogies (the earlier versions) to be complicated to get a decent sound out of both channels. This one was relatively simple.
                          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've been able to spend a good deal of time with this amp at various volumes now, and I'm still digging it. I'm looking forward to some studio and live dates with it coming up this month.
                            Awesome bro- it's always a nice feeling when you finally are satisfied after a lengthy (and expensive!) tone journey

Is the LS El34 compatible with the switchable bias? If so, plan on trying some?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                              Is the LS El34 compatible with the switchable bias? If so, plan on trying some?
                              It is, I'll probably try it at some point. I don't have any EL34 right now so I'll keep an eye out for a deal.

I tried it with 6V6s per the manual (connect 8 ohm load to 4 ohm jack, run power switch in "tweed" position) and was surprised at the difference. A little less output and headroom, more furr around the notes on the second channel. I noticed a little less clarity and the gain was not quite as smooth, but it had a more old school vibe. I prefer 6L6s between the two, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X