Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: N.A.D.: I think I finally found it!

Originally posted by FretFire View Post
    Dude, I was getting super frustrated. I was really looking forward to the Emplexador and it caused an immediate sour face, I knew within 10 minutes that I wasn't keeping it.

I'm digging the Lonestar's flexibility. It can go from Twin-like cleans to that fluid Mark-series gain, but with the drive switch off and the gain cranked channel 2 can do some old-school classic rock BARK too. The wattage options and rectifier switch do a lot to change the tone and feel, too.

Today I'm going to play with something the manual suggests trying - loading the amp with four 6V6 power tubes, plugging an 8 ohm cab into the 4 ohm jack, and running the power switch in the variac'd "Tweed" position.
    That is surprising - the clips and demos of the Emplexador are all what I would consider universally awesome. This furthers my long-standing theory that the best way to buy a guitar or amplifier is truly being in the same room with it.

Your description of the Lonestar sounds very appealing - makes me realize that there is a whole wide world of amps out there, and one of them might be "me." I have never played an amplifier or guitar that gave me a heavens parting, eureka moment, but I believe that they exist.

Here's to hoping this amp is "you."
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

lone star = all kinds of yes!
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
        That is surprising - the clips and demos of the Emplexador are all what I would consider universally awesome. This furthers my long-standing theory that the best way to buy a guitar or amplifier is truly being in the same room with it.

Your description of the Lonestar sounds very appealing - makes me realize that there is a whole wide world of amps out there, and one of them might be "me." I have never played an amplifier or guitar that gave me a heavens parting, eureka moment, but I believe that they exist.

Here's to hoping this amp is "you."
        Agreed man, I was refreshing the UPS tracking page nearly on the hour while the Emplexador was on the way. But when I plugged it in, it was almost an immediate "nope, not this one". Don't get me wrong, it's great for those 60s and 70s Marshall tones but I couldn't get what I was hearing in clips and videos without a pedal. Great single channel plexi, but not for me.

The Lonestar wasn't an immediate "OMGZ", but I could tell from my first test that it was very clsoe to what I wanted and just needed some time turning knobs. Now that I'm getting it dialed in, it's a definite win. I may own other amps, but the hope is that they'll sit next to this one and not replace it
        After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

You found your nads?

PS - Mesas are cool.
          Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
          I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

I'm glad you like your LoneStar, I LOVE mine. If you find channel 2 seems muddy or hard to dial in, over on The boogie board forum there's a mod you might consider. I did it and am very happy with the results.

Swen

Comment

My opinion means nothing.......

But of all the amps I have played through and listened to....... the Mesa LoneStar (10/50/100) is the ONLY one that FULFILLS THE SOUND AND THE TONE I FANTASIZE ABOUT. I WILL OWN ONE IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE!!!!

Comment

I've read about the Reeder mod, but I'm pretty pleased with the way channel 2 sounds at live band volumes. I could see maybe needing to open it up with the mod if you mostly used it throttled way down at home on the 10-watt setting. But live at 50 or 100 watts I run the treble and presence below 12 o'clock.
                After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Congrats on finding "IT"! Ive only played mesas briefly in stores and always came away slightly disappointed, but I ALWAYS hear that you have to dial em in. Sounds like you are getting it dialed in..
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                  X