Tube swap on a Series one 100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube swap on a Series one 100?

So, I've been wanting to upgrade my rig for a while. And a Blackstar S1 100 seems to fit the bill. I currently do not need more than two channels, and it's affordable, so it seems to fit the bill.

My problem is that I really prefer the sound of 6L6 over EL34, and since quite a lot of people seems to own Blackstar here, this seems to be the right place.
    So, can I just change the tubes, is there anything special I need to think about? Can anyone recommend a good brand of 6L6 tubes?

Cheers
    Also at sevenstring.org
    You're a member too? Feel free to shoot me a line, we can reminisce about Shono.. Or not

Re: Tube swap on a Series one 100?

Well, if I were you, I would just buy one that's set up from the factry with 6L6 tubes. Take a look at this. Does that seem to be what you're looking for?

Comment

I was actually prepared for that
      And I should probably have mentioned that, but I don't really see myself using all the four channels. I just don't see a use for all four, therefore I figured I could go with the two channels and just switch the tubes.

Is it that much a hassle to change the tubes?
      Also at sevenstring.org
      You're a member too? Feel free to shoot me a line, we can reminisce about Shono.. Or not

Comment

Originally posted by Jakke View Post
        I was actually prepared for that
        And I should probably have mentioned that, but I don't really see myself using all the four channels. I just don't see a use for all four, therefore I figured I could go with the two channels and just switch the tubes.

Is it that much a hassle to change the tubes?

I'm not an amp tech (though I have certainly changed my own tubes and biased my amps). But I wanted to mention that for some of the newer amps, it's no problem to swap power tube types from one to the other. But for many/most tube amps, certain things need to be changed in the circuitry to change tube types and of course a rebias is in order. I dunno about the Blackstar amps in particular. Look to see if they are cathode-biased.
        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Changing the type of power-tubes requires modifications to the amp's circuitry to allow the tubes to operate at the right voltage. It's more than just a simple bias. Nothing major but, since you didn't know that, I assume you're not qualified to safely work on your own amp and therefore will require you to bring the amp to a tech for the mod.

I'm not trying to be patronizing, just thinking about your safety.

My 2cents, for what it's worth: You don't even own the amp yet. If it doesn't sound the way you like keep your money (or keep saving your money) and buy something else. Otherwise, why not just try the amp with EL34s? You may very well like it stock. Shopping only based on the specs sheet leaves a lot of surprises once you actually plug in.

Good luck with your shopping. Be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post

My 2cents, for what it's worth: You don't even own the amp yet. If it doesn't sound the way you like keep your money (or keep saving your money) and buy something else. Otherwise, why not just try the amp with EL34s? You may very well like it stock. Shopping only based on the specs sheet leaves a lot of surprises once you actually plug in.

Good luck with your shopping. Be safe.

Ditto... I used to think that the really great clean tones just HAD to come from a 6L6 amp. But as it stands, my FAVORITE spankey (yet full), chimey clean tones ever came from my EL34 H&K Triamp Mk I, followed by my 6L6 Twin Reverb Reissue, followed by my EL34 Shiva. So it's pretty clear that power tube choice need not rule-out certain tubes for certain tones. I learned that amp voicing has a LOT more to do with design than it does tube choice. I've also got some great cleans out of KT88 amps.
            "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
              Ditto... I used to think that the really great clean tones just HAD to come from a 6L6 amp. But as it stands, my FAVORITE spankey (yet full), chimey clean tones ever came from my EL34 H&K Triamp Mk I, followed by my 6L6 Twin Reverb Reissue, followed by my EL34 Shiva. So it's pretty clear that power tube choice need not rule-out certain tubes for certain tones. I learned that amp voicing has a LOT more to do with design than it does tube choice. I've also got some great cleans out of KT88 amps.
              I'm a bit like you... ever since I started reading about amps, all I heard was that 6L6s were the only tube capable of producing beautiful clean tones.

Then I bought an amp that was capable of using both EL34s and 6L6s. Turns out that, with sufficient headroom from the amp, I liked the EL34s better with time. As you said: sparklier, chimey-er...just great. The 6L6s could definitely produce a deeper clean, more suitable for jazzy stuff but the EL34s were really impressive as they brought my humbucker-equipped guitars alive with a little more sparkle.

Just a matter of tastes of course but one should not decide only based on the tube-type... IMHO of course.

Comment

Working...
              X