tell me about visual sound pedals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me about visual sound pedals.

i have seen a few of them in stores but never really tried one. how are they are far as sound and build quality? the new delay they have coming out is tempting.

http://www.visualsound.net/index.php...ual_tap_delay/

Re: tell me about visual sound pedals.

Really good quality, really solid. Some of the best out there, IMO. The switches, while not the traditional style, are really smooth and will last for darn near forever. Go try it out. If it's like any of their other offerings, it's a good bet that it's a great pedal.

Comment

I bought my jeckyl/hyde when it first came out and it has worked flawlessly and sounded the same for 10+ years.

I like it's traditional foot switch much better than the one on the latest version of the H20 I recently bought, which I think has a plastic top piece. If not plastic, it still doesn't feel sturdy, and I don't like the way it engages; smoother, but less feedback that it's actually switching. And I don't like the H2O's lack of resistance in the movement of the knobs; way too fast and slipperly. But it does sound great.

Comment

I have their Rt 808 overdrive and I love it. Sounds great and didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Their 2nd generation with the redesigned switches and enclosures are a big improvement. Feel extremely solid. I think they might use a plastic shaft pots, but they have never given me any problems.

I did a shoot out between the VS 808 and an Analogman modded TS9. They both sounded great and the AM may have sounded a hair better at some settings and the VS at others. $50 used for the VS or $135 used for the AM. I couldn't tell the difference and I ended up keeping the VS and selling the AM.
        Last edited by ericmeyer4; 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Interested in them as well... their fuzz popped up on the local craigslist for dirt cheap.

Comment

I'm interested in their clean boost pedal, the Truetone.
            I think it'll work well in a fx loop of an amp.
            Anybody try this one yet?

Comment

I have the 808 and its my favorite overdrive so far. The pedal seems to be built very solid too

Comment

I had the Angry Fuzz. great build but not my thing

I also have one of the Garagetone pedals - Drivetrain - very nice OD especially for the $

Comment

I'm really surprised to hear people not liking the new switches. I think they're the best switches I've ever heard. I've got an H2O pedal, and it's just what the doctor ordered for shimmery clean chorus sounds. The delay by itself is okay, although I like my Carbon Copy a lot better. However, the delay with the chorus together are perfect.

I seriously love the way the switches engage, and that's the most common way I interact with a pedal, so as long as the housing is sturdy, the switches work well, and it sounds good, you really can't ask for anything more.

Comment

If the switch never breaks, I can live with it and be happy. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'll take a hard metal click over a vague plastic guess any day (still not sure if its plastic). At least that's how it feels to me.

But they defintely gotta change the low resistance control knobs. One slight bump and they rotate.

I really like the delay on the H20. I don't need multiple settings and tap tempo, etc; just one really good setting for solos. Haven't tried the carbon copy, but I doubt I'll try it since the next separate delay I need on my thicker high gain amp needs to be clearer and hold up under gain without being muddy. The H20 actually isn't too bad for that, but I may need a more digital, clearer sounding delay.

Comment

Originally posted by gvis View Post
                      If the switch never breaks, I can live with it and be happy. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'll take a hard metal click over a vague plastic guess any day (still not sure if its plastic). At least that's how it feels to me.
                      Well, if I understand it right, it's sort of a two-phase activation system. You press down on the top part, and that eventually activates the lower part of the switch. They were experiencing a lot of failures with the original MXR-style switches, so they came up with something they felt worked better. And they were tested to go through over a million cycles before failure. Maybe ten million, but the tempo on my clean songs isn't that high.

But they defintely gotta change the low resistance control knobs. One slight bump and they rotate.
                      Interesting. I think I actually read they replaced those as well. Mine hold in place pretty well. They're not sticky, but it takes an intentional turn to move them.

I really like the delay on the H20. I don't need multiple settings and tap tempo, etc; just one really good setting for solos. Haven't tried the carbon copy, but I doubt I'll try it since the next separate delay I need on my thicker high gain amp needs to be clearer and hold up under gain without being muddy. The H20 actually isn't too bad for that, but I may need a more digital, clearer sounding delay.
                      I think there's a spectrum from analog sounding to digital sounding. The Carbon Copy falls on the analog side, and the Boss DD series fall on the digital side. I think the H2O's delay falls a little bit to the Boss side of center. That's how I hear it anyway. But it is hard to deny that the chorus and the delay in that pedal work very, very well together.

Comment

I love the smooth TS flavor of the Route 808. It's noise gate probably gives it the edge over the TS. I sold my noisy TS808 RI, FD2 Mosfet 10th Anniv, and BYOC OD-2 after I got the VS... and I no longer feel the need to audition other TS clones that keep coming out in the market.

I also love the Open Road as my crunchy rhythm pedal, and alternate it with my OCDv4.

An Open Road + Route 808 combination would make a great 2-in-1 pedal IMO, better than their Double Trouble or Jekyll and Hyde offerings. "Road 808" anyone?
                        Last edited by vegetablejoe; 10-05-2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

The knobs on my H20 look different than the H2O's at GC now, which look more like the old jeckyl/hyde I have. Mine is the newer version with the two finger switches for dual chorus and delay modes, but I wonder if it's an early version and if they changed back to the old style knobs sometime after that? The knobs do look cool though. They're smooth, shiny black plastic with thin silver strips on the outside edges, not their normal rubber with grip ribs on the sides.

Comment

Gigged the newer style Route 66 and H2O for a couple of years. LOVED em! Only reason I sold them is because I stepped-up to the TC multi-FX stuff for loop use (Nova System then G System). Otherwise, I'd still have the Visual Sound pedals.
                            "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

I'm not really into pedals, usually just plug in and play, but one day I thought that I needed a compressor and an od pedal so I got the Route 66. I think it's a great pedal works really great. When I got it I had a one spot that I use with my wah, when I plugged in to the route 66 all I got was a lot of thumping sound and had to use the pedal with batteries, so I contacted the company I bought it from and my sales guy, contacted the company and they sent me a new one spot no charge. No problem since, great company IMO. I really love the pedal and it's built like a tank. I does what it's suppose to do and very well. If I get the urge for something else I wouldn't hesitate to buy another VS pedal.

Comment

Working...
                              X