Ordered some tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered some tubes

Finally! I've been meaning to do this for a long while. I'm super stoked to hear what my amp sounds like with new tubes. Never got to hear it in it's "new" glory.

I wanna personally thank Soso, Fuse, Whizzy, Gibson and Vulture, you guys were tremendous in helping me chose the right tubes for me (at least on paper, heh).

I ordered them from the TubeDepot.com. TD, Tubestore and Dougs were all similar in price, mostly all had the all the tubes I needed (except Doug was out of stock on some).

So finally for my VHT Deliverance Sixty, I got these:

JJ KT88s (pair)

V1: Tungsol 12AX7
    V2: EH 12AX7
    V3: EH 12AX7
    V4-PI: Sovtek LPS 12AX7
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Re: Ordered some tubes

nice. I think you'll be quite happy. I've never had an EH or a tung-sol I didn't like.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
      nice. I think you'll be quite happy. I've never had an EH or a tung-sol I didn't like.
      That's good to hear. I'm thinking I'll be happy with my selection. I've read mixed reviews on JJs, so I'm eager to hear em. I had JJ ELs before I believe or they may have been 6L6s that I didn't mind.

Now Biasing will be an adventure.
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

Enjoy!!!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
          Now Biasing will be an adventure.
          tell me about it. The DSL was easy. Bias test points rule. My DRRI doesn't have em, and I don't have/don't wanna pay for a bias meter, and I don't wanna be pokin around in there and having full plate voltage go through my multimeter, lest I slip up and shock my own dumb ass.

A lot of people don't recommend biasing by ear, but I did it. I put the amp in a dark room, plugged in, and turned up. I dialed the bias back to it's lowest setting. and then gradually increased it until I barely saw evidence of red plating. then I dialed it back a tad and played for a while. I liked what I heard, and then dialed it back another little bit and still liked it, so I left it there.

I was pretty worried about the whole thing to begin with, but it's been about 2 months and so far so good.

So, what was the point of that... oh yeah. Bias carefully, it'll pay off. Remember if you bias pretty hot you'll have to replace your tubes more often. It's up to you if that sounds good or not.

Comment

I gotta open mine up and take a look. If it doesn't have bias points, i'll take it to a tech.
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

save your tech money and get a bias probe.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Good to hear! Did you get any more to play with? And I think JJ power tubes will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                X