banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do in my situation? (craving heavier tones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you do in my situation? (craving heavier tones)

I'd try a preamp (tube or solid state) like the AMT or Blackstar or something like the Triple Wreck or other boutique MESA in a box pedals first then if you really can't live without the real thing then get an amp but try with a cheaper option first.
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Comment

Wouldn't sell the Stiletto - seems like you like the amp. An EQ pedal sounds like a good idea. What about adding another guitar with the right pickups?

Comment

I don't have much to offer for advice other than to quote this so it is repeated:
        Originally posted by sosomething View Post
        THAT being said, if, as I know you do, you require versatility and are reluctant to give up all your ideal Stiletto sounds, you should know that actually gigging a two-amp setup is a gigantic pain in the *******. Take everything that could conceivably go wrong with your rig at a gig and double it. Now with that little nugget, learn to appreciate the extra trip during load in/out and the added couple of minutes of set-up time. It wasn't worth it to me. It is to others though. YMMV
        As someone who used to tour with two half stacks and no roadies, calling it a giant pain in the ass doesn't even come close to describing how much of an annoyance it is. I'm assuming you'd run two heads into one cab, which would make it slightly less inconvenient, but it is still a PITA.

You shouldn't settle, but if a Mark V or Roadster gets you everything you're looking for, you'll find yourself asking why you didn't pony up the few extra hundred dollars after a couple gigs running a dual amp setup.
        DayGlo

Comment

Tried out a Roadster and a Mark V on Saturday.

Pretty sure one of the two will be mine in January. Stay tuned!
          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
            I'd love a Roadster or a Mark V, alas, there's no way i could have that kind of volume level in a house anywhere near civilisation.
            That's why my main amp stays in the rehearsal studio. If I played that thing at home I'd have cops at my door within minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
              What do you use at home?

Btw, i didn't mean that as a criticism of those amps... in fact, if i was able to turn an amp up proper loud i'd definitely get one of those two.
              95% of the time I just practice on acoustic, or on an unplugged electric. I'm of the belief that it makes you a better player on the whole.

Occasionally I'll use either the iRig on my iPhone, or use the models in Garage Band on the computer if I feel I need an electric tone at home.

I'm looking into getting a small practice amp for home, but that's not high on the priority list at the moment. Honestly it's almost impossible to find something that can sound and play good at apartment volume and I'd almost rather not bother with it. I'm thinking of building a Champ kit in the new year and running pedals into that as my practice rig.

Comment

Working...
              X