In defense of the much maligned Tubescreamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In defense of the much maligned Tubescreamer

I was (am?) one of the biggest TS haters out there but I have to say that while there are "issues" with a TS or TS style pedal they have their place in the world and for what they do nothing else touches them!!!!

I got my AnalogMan TS-9/808 out today and did some playing and yes a stock TS has a mid hump, yes it has a bass cut off, yes it's sort of congested sounding but damn is it a good sound and it just fits...it puts the guitar right where it is supposed to be "in the mix".

Just a nonsense post from my rambling mind...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: In defense of the much maligned Tubescreamer

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    I was (am?) one of the biggest TS haters out there but I have to say that while there are "issues" with a TS or TS style pedal they have their place in the world and for what they do nothing else touches them!!!!

I got my AnalogMan TS-9/808 out today and did some playing and yes a stock TS has a mid hump, yes it has a bass cut off, yes it's sort of congested sounding but damn is it a good sound and it just fits...it puts the guitar right where it is supposed to be "in the mix".

Just a nonsense post from my rambling mind...
    sooo true. i think a lot of the flack it takes is from people who aren't playing with it live in a full band. that's where they shine!

the original 808 i had at one time was magical...definitely one i wish i hadn't let go!
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Whats next, your JB appreciation thread? J/K. For me, the JB is one of those deals like the TS..you can find a lot of technical reasons not to like it, but all said and done its just a legendary pickup that sounds incredible.

The TS808 is the best sounding pedal ever made, limitations or not.
      Not that its the ONLY pedal I'd ever want.
      Last edited by MetalManiac; 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

it's just one more tonal option. I haven't found a pedal yet that does everything, so I'm not sure why anyone would hate it. It has its own compressed vibe and it does wonders tightening up a high gain channel (or in front of a higher gain pedal) when needed.

I've only played the jeckyl side of my jekyl/hyde, so I can't compare to a true TS, but the only complaint I have is that the tone knob on this unit doesn't make much difference and the attack is harsh when it's on its own.

But pushing high gain, or in front of any higher gain pedal, its stiff attack actually helps. It sounds great in front of my direct drive, which has a looser bass; the jekyl tightens up its bass.

Comment

I can't get on with the mid hump/honkiness of the TS. It's probably because my sound is already midrangey enough and it takes it just too far, however.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Low gain TS9 with a good compressor is the best tone for my purposes. The key is exploiting its sweet spots, I love what the Ts9 does to the amp.
            2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
              Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
              Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

how does well does a tube screamer work in the clean channel of a tube amp? Would it be similar to how it works in a nonmaster volume amp?

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                  Whats next, your JB appreciation thread? J/K. For me, the JB is one of those deals like the TS..you can find a lot of technical reasons not to like it, but all said and done its just a legendary pickup that sounds incredible.

Not that its the ONLY pedal I'd ever want.
                  I'm pretty sure I actually started a thread like three years ago that was called "In defense of the much-maligned JB" - verbatim.

Not for nothin', just a funny coincidence...
                  -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I miss my SD-9 with AnalogMan's Silver Mod. I accidentally gave it away.
                    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by DTrane View Post
                      how does well does a tube screamer work in the clean channel of a tube amp? Would it be similar to how it works in a nonmaster volume amp?
                      Yeah. It sounds great. Seems to really shine if you are a more dynamic player- and it isn't easy to hide mistakes since there isn't a ton of gain.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Maligned?
                        The other forum boards I go on have nothing but positive thing to say about the TS.
                        I swear it's only here that people seem to hate on it

Comment

Honestly, when you want a nice fat gain boost it's hard to go wrong with a good TS, or one of it's many clones and derivatives. That's why I built myself (and other people) one.

I'm actually thinking of doing another run of Raptors, but with a few changes. We'll see.
                          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

i love my tubesreamer, its my desert island pedal....except mine is a fulldrive...however if i didnt have that, id still be using my tubescreamer.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

While I havent played one first hand (a real one) I know it can sound good and I like the SD-1 (which is related) so I don't think I could hate it. I do hate it when misinformed shredders think it is the secret to high gain tone and plug one into something like a pro junior set clean and turn up the gain with an ibanez and shred. Not saying this isnt a decent tone but it isnt really metal without a metalish sounding amp (at least as much gain as a mid gain marshall).
                              Gondola Kid
                              Bandcamp
                              Facebook
                              JimijaymesGuitarist
                              Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X