banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one that feels Egnater Amps are overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one that feels Egnater Amps are overrated?

I played my second Egnater Amp yesterday and still can't grasp what people see in them as they sound thin and ss like to my ears. Having said that, For being tube amps they sure don't sound like a tube amps IMO. Pretty overrated amps if you ask me.....
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 12-28-2011, 12:59 AM.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Re: Am I the only one that feels Egnater Amps are overrated?

Turn the bass up from 1 and the treble down from 10.

To answer your question - yes.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

i liked the one i tried....it was a rebel 20 and a strat
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Was never really a fan of them. However, their work with Randall with the MTS Modules is a fantastic conceptual idea.
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Originally posted by Gear Used
        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

Maybe not the only one.

Personally speaking I am glad they are out there...they offer a lot of flexibility and a wide range of tones and wattages to players at a great price point.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I've never played one that made me want to give up any of my Mesa Boogie amps.

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
              I've never played one that made me want to give up any of my Mesa Boogie amps.

Bill
              If you had, that wouldn't reflect well on Mesa Boogie, and the 10x cost factor.

Comment

Well, this sucks to hear. I've been looking pretty hard at the Tweaker 40, lately.
                I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

They're pretty good amps Kam. I've got the 15, and am getting some great tones with it. Not thin and brittle, warm and nice. I'm running mine clean only + pedals, so I really can't attest to the drive part of the amp.

Comment

That's cool to know, man.

I'd love to try one out. I wish the shops around here didn't completely suck.
                    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I've been thinking about this thread a bit and I have to say this...I am an admitted gear snob and I will also admit that almost NO amps made post about 1975 impress me at all but the Egnater stuff is killer...good tones, well made and priced within reach of most players out there.

Nothing not to like IMHO and to the OP that claims they are "thin" and "SS like" is just dead wrong...I mean I know tone is all subjective but I just disagree with that statement regarding those amps...
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                        Well, this sucks to hear. I've been looking pretty hard at the Tweaker 40, lately.
                        If I wanted a more versatile amp, the Tweaker would most likely be my only choice. I'm more plug and play, but I love the Tweaker series.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Fascinating, my Tweaker 15 doesn't sound thin; actually its pretty deep sounding and I find my self backing off on bass quite a bit.
                          Being cool is knowing when to let things slide.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                            If I wanted a more versatile amp, the Tweaker would most likely be my only choice. I'm more plug and play, but I love the Tweaker series.
                            Well, I'm not really looking for versatile to be honest. Just something awesome that isn't expensive enough to make me feel guilty about being too lazy to start a band.

I really should start a thread about it. I've hijacked almost every thread in the amp room with inane rambling, silly questions and my habit of thinking out loud...

Comment

Speakers speakers speakers.
                              They can make wins losses and sometimes vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                              X