banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one that feels Egnater Amps are overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Am I the only one that feels Egnater Amps are overrated?

I just don't hear punch or girth in Egnaters (I don't hear fattness). I think that is why they sound thin to my ears. Those are the characteristcs I think of when I think of a tube amp. I will never forget the time I a/bed a Roadster and a Renegade..... The Roadster crushed that thing IMO. At any rate, it boils down to personal preference it seems... If Egnaters work for others that's great but clearly they aren't for me....
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 12-29-2011, 10:53 PM.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Originally posted by RobSoundtrack View Post
      Speakers speakers speakers.
      They can make wins losses and sometimes vice versa.
      I've actualy thought about that. That and speaker enclosures. Having said that I have often wondered what an Egnater would sound like through a Mesa Cab. I have yet to try it though.
      Roland Cube 60
      Mogami Cables
      Mooer Candy Toppers
      Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
        Well, this sucks to hear. I've been looking pretty hard at the Tweaker 40, lately.
        I'd say give it a shot. Perhaps it will work for you but Egnaters haven't done much for me thus far. Just gotta find what works for you personally....
        Roland Cube 60
        Mogami Cables
        Mooer Candy Toppers

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
          I just don't hear punch or girth in Egnaters (I don't hear fattness). I think that is why they sound thin to my ears. Those are the characteristcs I think of when I think of a tube amp. I will never forget the time I a/bed a Roadster and a Renegade..... The Roadster crushed that thing IMO. At any rate, it boils down to personal preference it seems... If Egnaters work for others that's great but clearly they aren't for me....
          How loud was it? I had a Rebel 30 on about 3 and I could FEEL the low end. It was almost too fat and I have a Roadking II so I understand what a Roadster sounds like. I'd say the the Rebel 30 was more punchy than it unless I seriously crank the bass on my RK II. Not that the Rebel 30 necessarily sounds better, it just was very very punchy and thick.
          Originally posted by TheLivingDead
          H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
          Originally posted by jcthejester13
          I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
            the Egnater stuff is killer...good tones, well made and priced within reach of most players out there.

Nothing not to like IMHO and to the OP that claims they are "thin" and "SS like" is just dead wrong...I mean I know tone is all subjective but I just disagree with that statement regarding those amps...
            +1. I think they're good amps too.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I've played the Renegade 65 through a mesa 2x12 and it was FAR from solid state sounding. VERY warm, punchy, and clear. I was using the 6L6 side, and there was nothing bad to say about it. Had the volume at band levels too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                Well, I'm not really looking for versatile to be honest. Just something awesome that isn't expensive enough to make me feel guilty about being too lazy to start a band.

I really should start a thread about it. I've hijacked almost every thread in the amp room with inane rambling, silly questions and my habit of thinking out loud...
                Bassman
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                  Bassman
                  Good call. I'd love one. Unfortunately, you've clearly underestimated the effect that the Atlantic ocean has on both price and availability of said Bassmans in this dark little corner of the world. There's a 1980 Bassman 135 on Ebay right now for £500 ($776) and that's actually the lowest price I've seen one selling for in a long time.

Hopefully the answer is obvious by now. Send me yours.
                  I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I think they're great but overpriced. A lot of people complain about reliability though. I really wanted a renegade until I found my $300 epiphone galaxie lol

Comment

The Tourmasters I've played sounded pretty dry and uninspiring, but I haven't had the chance to give the rest of them an honest try. I do like the fact that Bruce is incorporating power dampening technology into his stuff and would like to hear more, I just haven't gotten around to trying them.
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I've been nothing but happy with my Tweaker 15 head. I tried the Rebel 20, Rebel 30, and the tweaker 40.

I primarily run my Tweaker clean and use pedals but the dirt sounds are pretty awesome depending on how you set it.

I can get blackface twin style cleans, VOX chime with slight breakup, and full on marshall crunch out of mine. And it sounds far from solid state.

I'm saving up funds to order a pair of Webers for my 212 cab (silver bell and blue dog 50 watt ceramics with pre rola treatment and I'm going to have them thrown on the variac to break em in, only bc I live in an apt and can't really break em in myself). And I'm also trying to decide on new tubes I'm probably gonna try 6CA7 in the power section (hopefully a pair that can get maxheadroom) and just better quality preamp tubes.

I've played a lot of amps and equipment over the years and honestly for the price and for more egnater really hit a home run with the tweaker and rebel amps. The things Bruce has done are honestly revolutionary if I had more money I'd be getting a Rebel 20/30 head with a 212 cab and running that as a dual amp setup instead of my Vox AC4 stack and Tweaker stack setup.

I don't know sound is subjective just because something doesn't work for you in one instance doesn't mean the whole brand/product lineup sucks.
                        Last edited by PRSfan nym 1985; 12-30-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I really like the lower wattage Tweaker series amps and I'd buy one.
                          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                            Maybe not the only one.

Personally speaking I am glad they are out there...they offer a lot of flexibility and a wide range of tones and wattages to players at a great price point.
                            Well put! I love my lil tweaker, but it in no way makes me want to sell my JCM800 or splawn

I didnt care much for the tourmaster I tried years back. But I liked the tone from the Renegade
                            Last edited by BloodRose; 12-31-2011, 05:41 PM.
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I love my Rebel 30. Not even close to the sterile SS sound. I like a warm but present sound from my amps, and the rebel is very warm and midrangey. I mainly use the clean chanel and have the bright switch on and the treble at 3:00 to get the chime, and the bass is up to about 4:00. This way I can compensate for the strong mids and get some fullness/richness and chime to my tone. I run the tubes at about 70% EL84 and 30% 6V6.

It's a very solid amp, great tones and versatility, well built, light weight and compact (easy to haul around), and a great rediculously low price for what you get.

Do I feel they are overrated??? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! If you know how to adjust it you can get it to sound just about anyway you want. I'd also love to have a Tweaker 15.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I love my Rebel 30. Not even close to the sterile SS sound. I like a warm but present sound from my amps, and the rebel is very warm and midrangey. I mainly use the clean chanel and have the bright switch on and the treble at 3:00 to get the chime, and the bass is up to about 4:00. This way I can compensate for the strong mids and get some fullness/richness and chime to my tone. I run the tubes at about 70% EL84 and 30% 6V6.

It's a very solid amp, great tones and versatility, well built, light weight and compact (easy to haul around), and a great rediculously low price for what you get.

Do I feel they are overrated??? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! If you know how to adjust it you can get it to sound just about anyway you want. I'd also love to have a Tweaker 15.
                                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                                X