Amp Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amp Died

exactly because all we are doing is speculating we don't know the exact make and model and none of us are actually seeing/hearing the amp's issue(s) firsthand.

since you don't know what to diagnose there is no sense in you wasting money fixing things that may or may not be broken it's going to cost you much more time and money in the long run if you are literally going to end up switching every fuse, tube, and cap. Plus if you take it to someone that knows what they are doing more times than not they warranty their work so in the event something goes wrong after the fix most guys will stand by their work.

Comment

Is he iceman'ing us?
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
      Originally posted by Securb
      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Now none of the lights for on/standby turn on or tubes glow.
        Fuses?
        As previously suggested ; Amp type, etc. would be help full.
        Last edited by GoldenVulture; 01-07-2012, 08:58 PM.
        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Brrrrr, it's cold in here.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

To me it sounds like one of your valves was on its way out and took the HT fuse out

I think this purely because you said the sound was deteriorating over time and the volume was lessining.

This happens when your power valves are shot.
            Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
            WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
            http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
              Is he iceman'ing us?
              naw, Ive been busy. Music aint my day job.

Yeah, Im just gonna take to a tech when I get some money.

It is a Crate VFX5212 combo with EL34's. Its my favorite amp. I use it like a head and run it through a cab.

Its the first tube amp Ive ever owned.

I dont think its the tubes. Theyre not very old and havent been used very much. Also, immediately after the new tubes it wasnt near as loud as my other 50w amps. I got a bad feeling its going to be a costly fix for this boat anchor
              Last edited by DTrane; 01-09-2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

it could still be the tubes, just because you just put em in doesn't mean you properly biased the amp to match them

at this point don't rule anything out

Comment

If the PCB is anything like the Blue Doodoo head I used to have, it could be a fried PCB section and components. I was so glad to be rid of that thing. 3 times it was fixed under warranty. After the 3rd time I said no more, sold it, and bought my Marshall. Still have that Marshall.

Let me clarify that I am not against PCB's in tube amps. When done right and with stout enough material, they are fine. Crate's are not very stout.

Comment

Crate VFX5212 = uh oh

In fact, I have one on my bench at the shop...gave the owner $30 for it when he elected not to repair it.

Those amps (the whole V series) have a transformerless power supply that can fry without warning. Crate doesn't even support it with a replacement power supply. Chances are pretty good that yours melted down too.

The one in my shop is going to get a conventional power supply and a revoicing of the gain channel...it doesn't have the digital effects like yours has which could have taken damage if your power supply failed.

Sorry about the doom and gloom scenario...I thought you might have had a Crate Vintage Club series amp which are a totally different animal...and sound pretty darn good too.
                    Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

How can you do a power supply without a transformer? Does it bleed off the lion's share of the voltage with resistors before passing it into the rectifier diodes and capacitors? It sounds really inefficient if that's how it's done.

Comment

I had a tech install and bias the tubes when he went through the amp so the tubes should have been biased properly. I dont care about the digital effects, never use them.

Yeah, I have a couple of vintage clubs. I like the vfx better but I like them both.

Do all V series have the transformerless power supply? I read its the ones made over seas. The vfx was made in St. Louis.
                        Last edited by DTrane; 01-10-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                          How can you do a power supply without a transformer? Does it bleed off the lion's share of the voltage with resistors before passing it into the rectifier diodes and capacitors? It sounds really inefficient if that's how it's done.
                          It's a switching power supply like in a computer. Beyond that, my experience with them has been limited and generally involve slipping them in the parts bag that I sent home with the customer. No one has yet to click the "fix it" option yet.

Originally posted by DTrane View Post
                          I had a tech install and bias the tubes when he went through the amp so the tubes should have been biased properly. I dont care about the digital effects, never use them.

Yeah, I have a couple of vintage clubs. I like the vfx better but I like them both.

Do all V series have the transformerless power supply? I read its the ones made over seas. The vfx was made in St. Louis.
                          That may be...I don't know. The only experience I've had with them is with the one made in Viet Nam (IIRC). You can tell really quickly if it has a power transformer; reach around to the back of the chassis...if there are two rather large transformers mounted on the back of the chassis, it has a true power transformer. If there's only one, it doesn't. The transformerless power supply sits entirely inside the chassis.
                          Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

u said reach around.

Comment

Oh lord.
                              Custom neck-thru strat
                              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                              1995 PRS CE24
                              D'avanzo #8
                              Breedlove Solo Concert
                              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I checkd and theres a box that the power cable goes into and a transformer looking thng next to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X