Removed the JJs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removed the JJs...

Has anyone tried an AT7 in the V1 of their Tweed amp? I've been going back and forth between the AX7 and AY7 - I like the drive of the AX7, but the AY7 gives way more use of the volume knob, but it doesn't get really saturated. The AT7 seems to be right in between those two.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
      Has anyone tried an AT7 in the V1 of their Tweed amp? I've been going back and forth between the AX7 and AY7 - I like the drive of the AX7, but the AY7 gives way more use of the volume knob, but it doesn't get really saturated. The AT7 seems to be right in between those two.
      From what I've read elsewhere, most people say the AT7 isn't a "right fit" for the preamp section and really belongs in the phase inverter spot (despite its gain). Different plate voltage or something technical like that?

Maybe someone else has more info on that.
      - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
      - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
      - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
      - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
      - Tungsten Buckwheat
      - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
      - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
      - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

JJ pre-amp tubes tend to be dark. They do a pretty good job of taming amps that are trebly or shrill. Even in that application, I'd rather use a JAN Philips 5751.

Comment

I switched to Ruby 12AX7HG over JJs in my 6505, amp is now tighter, clearer, crisper, and just more dimensional in general. Never going back to JJs.

Comment

I had some Sovtec(sic) 12AX7WA's in my Belair
            it had Groove tubes in V1 and V2 the other 3 were Sovtec

it was alright
            didnt sound like the one in the showroom
            that made me buy one tho

so here a while back I swapped with some Ruby's

power tubes and all
            All Ruby's

I think they are relabeled JJ's
            maybe not

and it may have been the re-biasing

but it sounds way better now

probably the biasing thing
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny47 View Post
              That's why I don't buy NOS anymore. I don't trust the reliability and it's splitting hairs tonewise from my experience with em. I'd rather get some new production that I dig enough and not worry about em. I got Mesa Boogie-labelled 6V6s in my Princeton Reverb clone for crying out loud hehe
              NOS tubes tend to be much more reliable than new offerings. I have a nice stash of vintage tubes most came out of old church organs and old radios and most of the are still rockin strong.

Its not splitting hairs tone wise. Sure maybe between some you cant tell the difference but the lack of highs in a JJ definately shows up at gig levels even to the point that the amp cant be made bright enough with the EQ.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                NOS tubes tend to be much more reliable than new offerings. I have a nice stash of vintage tubes most came out of old church organs and old radios and most of the are still rockin strong.

Its not splitting hairs tone wise. Sure maybe between some you cant tell the difference but the lack of highs in a JJ definately shows up at gig levels even to the point that the amp cant be made bright enough with the EQ.
                Touche. Good post my friend. I agree NOS vs JJ would be easy to tell. But finely-tuned Tung Sol Reissue or the like (something I dig) vs NOS would reveal different results. And I can buy those tubes in bulk. I don't have to go to dealer X, get a blackplate RCA here, then go to dealer Y and get a greyplate GE there, then go to dealer Z and get Phillips this or that. I can go to one store, order 12 of something and I pretty much know exactly what I'm getting. And if one of em happens to be microphonic, I can go to the same place and get a replacement.

Much of this is on my ignorance of NOS tubes and lack of experience with them, but as a gigging musician, it's just easier for me to get the new production stuff and experiment with that. If I had the experience and time with NOS, then it would definitely be better, I'm sure. Cheers!
                - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
                - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
                - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
                - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
                - Tungsten Buckwheat
                - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
                - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
                - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Working...
                X