Help me pick a cool SD-1 Mod!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a cool SD-1 Mod!!!

I dig my SD1 stock, but it's a cheap pedal and I'd like to see what else I can get out of it. There are tons of mods out there for it and I'm having a tough time picking one. Nothing too crazy, I don't want to have to add switches or anything like that. I use the OD as a stand alone crunch and also as a boost. I use a RAT and a fuzz so I don't need to have too much gain. Throw some ideas out there!
    Gear:
    Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
    Epi Dot Natural
    Partscaster blackie
    Breedlove Passport Mahogany
    VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
    Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Re: Help me pick a cool SD-1 Mod!!!

No switches? Come on...

Monte Allums SD-1 GT mod. It took a pedal that was marginally useful (to my ears anyway), and made a great, dynamic pedal out of it. I love it as a sort of clean boost to add some sparkle to my cleans. I know the usual use is to push an overdriven amp, but this works really well in symmetrical clipping mode with the presence switch engaged on the clean channel.

It will still do the crunch thing in front of an overdriven setting, but I like the MXR GT-OD better for that type of push.

Comment

Re: Help me pick a cool SD-1 Mod!!!

Monte Allums GT mod kit but leave the switches out.

If you're really keen, replace all the signal path caps with Wima redbox and polystyrene caps.

I have four SD-1's, all with the Monte Allums GT mods. I installed the switches on one of them but they always ends up in the regular SD1 positions anyway. The oldest one (I've had it for over 30 years) has had all the caps replaced with Wimas and polystyrenes and it sounds even better than the others.

I only ever use one overdrive (and no other boosters, distortions or inbuilt amp distortion or even amps with master volume controls) and it's always been the thirty-year old SD-1.
      Last edited by crusty philtrum; 01-18-2012, 04:54 AM.
      Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Working...
      X