Vague value question: Vintage Fender Bandmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vague value question: Vintage Fender Bandmaster

So I ran across an old blonde Bandmaster head locally. I'm not positive what year it is, and I know it's had a cap job and been modded to have an extra gain stage. I have their asking price, but wanted to see if anyone had a ballpark range for value? I'm going back to demo it tomorrow and might pick it up if I like what I hear.

EDIT: Just clarified, it's a '63.
    Last edited by FretFire; 01-20-2012, 01:54 PM.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: Vague value question: Vintage Fender Bandmaster

Based on no real experience and 100% B.S. / reading the internet, I'd say $1000 - $1200.
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
      Based on no real experience and 100% B.S. / reading the internet, I'd say $1000 - $1200.
      I'll just say that they're asking substantially less than that. We'll see if it's worth a crap being modded.

Comment

the modding usually hurts the value pretty significantly. the cap job is fine as long as it was done right.

did they punch holes in the chassis or just mess with internals? i wouldnt give anywhere near $1000 for it

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          the modding usually hurts the value pretty significantly. the cap job is fine as long as it was done right.

did they punch holes in the chassis or just mess with internals? i wouldnt give anywhere near $1000 for it
          Not sure, I spotted it on my way out of the shop and told them I'd be back tomorrow to look closer. They said a gain stage and tube have been added, which may not be too desirable. They want $500.

Comment

BUY BUY BUY
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

$500 might not be a bad deal. the blonde/brown fenders are cool amps.

if the trannys and most of the guts are intact. most important thing is how it sounds. its not really collectable anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                $500 might not be a bad deal. the blonde/brown fenders are cool amps.

if the trannys and most of the guts are intact. most important thing is how it sounds. its not really collectable anymore.
                Yeah I'm not worried about collectability, I just didn't want to pay more than it's worth if it winds up sounding good.

Comment

Mods can be un-done.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...I think the blonde circuit Bandmasters are possibly the best of the best, tone-wise. I "like" Fender amps but I "love" those blonde Bandmasters. Cleans are great and the overdriven tone just rocks. The vibrato is out of this world...it uses 3 12AX7s for the vibrato alone, 4 if you count the vibrato preamp.

$500 is a good price for an amp from an era that lasted 2 years.
                  Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

If it has creme knobs you have a blonde circuit. If it has a black face inside of a blonde head with the top hat style knobs and wheat grille it's a 63 transitional. Mine was spectacular when it worked, shimmering cleans and a bright top end that didn't 'ice pick' despite all the treble in there.

I bought my 63 transitional for 600 bucks about 7 years ago. Great all around amp, always awesome tones and great response to pedals. It sounds a little different from the reverb models in a good way, mine has the old school style paper OT.
                    Last edited by Quencho092; 01-20-2012, 08:26 PM.
                    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

You can buy all original and very clean ones for less than a grand.
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

To the OP: You might enjoy looking at the pricing info on the Ampwares site.

I love the Blonde Bandmasters and have never played or heard one. How's that for being convinced by reading and looking at specs and gut shots online?
                        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

That's a no brainer, buy it. I'd spend the bucks and put it back to stock, and you'd have just about the perfect club amp.

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

You can see my Bandmaster in the bottom right of this photo - taken around 1967.
                            It was a good sounding amp and looked great too!
                            The Artiste formally known as IndySG...

Comment

Working...
                            X