• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Successor to the FTL Drive and Raptor

very cool. cant wait to put my name on the list

Comment

Thanks for the breakdown.. Ive always wanted a rat but never put down as Ive always been nervous in hearing that the new ones arent as good as the old, etc.

Im def down for this...
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        Thanks for the breakdown.. Ive always wanted a rat but never put down as Ive always been nervous in hearing that the new ones arent as good as the old, etc.

Im def down for this...
        Well, here's the thing about the Rat:

The original Rat had an LM308N single op amp chip, a part which is now obsolete (but can still be found if you know where to look). A lot of people feel that this op amp is responsible for the character that is so loved in the originals. I don't disagree, and I will make sure I have an LM308N on hand for prototyping.

Keep in mind, however, that I'm not trying to clone a Rat. If I were, I certainly wouldn't be grafting a Marshall tone stack onto it. I'm going to approach this with the same idea that I had with the FTL Drive: take an existing circuit (in that case it was the Tube Screamer) and attempt to improve upon it, or at least change it into something distinctive.

What this means is that if you're looking for a Rat clone, you probably won't want this pedal. However, if you're looking for a great distortion and a great overdrive in one box, I think you'll be pleased.
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
          Well, here's the thing about the Rat:

The original Rat had an LM308N single op amp chip, a part which is now obsolete (but can still be found if you know where to look). A lot of people feel that this op amp is responsible for the character that is so loved in the originals. I don't disagree, and I will make sure I have an LM308N on hand for prototyping.

Keep in mind, however, that I'm not trying to clone a Rat. If I were, I certainly wouldn't be grafting a Marshall tone stack onto it. I'm going to approach this with the same idea that I had with the FTL Drive: take an existing circuit (in that case it was the Tube Screamer) and attempt to improve upon it, or at least change it into something distinctive.

What this means is that if you're looking for a Rat clone, you probably won't want this pedal. However, if you're looking for a great distortion and a great overdrive in one box, I think you'll be pleased.

Had trouble finding this thread again.. Thanks for the DETAILED breakdown!! Really appreciate it! Im not looking for a rat clone per se. I love what you did with the other pedals by taking the TS and "improving" it. So, I trust this would give me the "Rat" proximity I'd need.

Any idea when this might commence?? Im gonna have to start saving...
          Last edited by BloodRose; 05-26-2012, 09:58 PM.
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
            Any idea when this might commence?? Im gonna have to start saving...
            I'd also like to be kept in the loop. I missed out on the last run (we'd talked via PM when that happened), and I'm not gonna miss another one.
            - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Working...
            X