Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successor to the FTL Drive and Raptor

Back story:

A few years ago, I built a pedal called the FTL Drive. It was a TS circuit with a few major changes: six position selectable clip circuit, additional EQ controls, and a foot-switchable gain boost. I liked it so much that I decided to offer a production run of them to the people on the forum. I built two runs of ten, and sold all of them.

It was a difficult pedal to build (mainly due to my less-than-stellar enclosure layout) so I retired it after two runs. However, I still had a stack of FTL Drive PCB's, so I decided to turn them into something else. The result of that was the Raptor - a simplified version of the FTL Drive. It had two clip/gain settings instead of six, a simplified EQ, and no foot-switchable boost. I set the price nice and low and sold out the entire run in less than 24 hours. I really like the Raptor. I built myself one and it's still on my pedal board.

After the Raptor run was completed, I toyed with the idea of doing another design. My life was going through a massive upheaval at the time though, and I didn't want to take on that much responsibility. Honestly, designing a pedal is fun, but building a dozen pedals is many hours of mindless, repetitive labour. So I scrapped the idea, decided to forget about pedal builds, and focused on other things in my life.

--------

About a year and a half has passed since I shipped the last Raptor. A lot has happened in my life since then - most of it good. Lately I've toyed with the idea of doing a run of pedals again. Yes, the manual labour involved is obnoxious, but I learned a lot about design and layout from my Raptor/FTL experiences, and I think I can streamline the process a lot. More importantly, I miss being able to help people find their tone. The most rewarding thing for me was reading posts about how happy people were with their pedals, and how they were using them.

So, I've decided to take another crack at building pedals. I'll talk about my design idea in the next post ...
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Re: Successor to the FTL Drive and Raptor

So when's the next post, jackass? Edge of my freakin' seat here...
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I come from exile to say: Sign me up for the first publicly available one. Whatever it is.

FTL #007 has served me well and I'd love to have another pedal of yours.
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I predict the sickest a/b/y pedal this side of the rio grande.

Comment

I too am thrilled with the pedals and would love to see whats next!!
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

So you've already made your decision about exactly what it is? If I remember right, before your life was overturned, you were asking for ideas about what pedal to build next, and I don't think overdrive or distortion was on the list. But when you say successor to the FTL Drive/Raptor, it makes me think it's some sort of drive pedal.

I shouldn't have posted this. I should just wait until the next post comes up. But I was paying attention. That is all. Move along. This is not the post you're looking for.

Comment

Nice, Ive kicked myself more than once for letting mine go during one of my purges. It would work well now with the guys I play with and the stuff we do.

Comment

Sign me up for the second one.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

BSG fan, eh?
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

FUZZ!! FUZZY GOODNESS! FUZZ PEDAL..( did i menetion I want a fuzz?).
                    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Hum ... a variation of a fuzz would be cool. I still love the Raptor BTW.

Comment

Sorry for making you all wait. And thanks for the enthusiasm! This is exactly why I want to do this again.

First off, I won't be doing a fuzz. There's already a truckload of great fuzzes out there, and I wouldn't be bringing anything to the table there.

As of now, and this is subject to change, my idea is for a twin OD/Distortion pedal. It would actually be four circuits in one:

- a nice JFET buffer
                        - a distortion based on the Rat
                        - a simplified T/M/B Marshall-style tone stack
                        - an OD based on the Raptor

Essentially it would be two pedals in one: a distortion with a tone stack, and an overdrive.

The distortion would have the following controls:

- Gain
                        - Treble
                        - Mid
                        - Bass
                        - Level

The OD would have the following controls:

- Gain
                        - Level
                        - Fat switch
                        - Bright switch
                        - Three clip settings: vintage, modern, and clean

There would be a separate true bypass foot switch for each.

Here's the ace in the hole: I'm building in a nice JFET buffer, and letting you decide if you want to use it. By default the buffer is always on, boosting the impedance of your signal on its way to your amp. If you don't want the buffer (maybe you already have a good one), there will be a jumper block inside the pedal that hard bypasses it.

I wanted to build something that a guitarist could throw down in front of almost any amp and get the tone and features they want. You could use it to turn a clean amp into a three or four channel beast, or you could use the OD side as a solo boost (that's what the Clean mode is meant for), or you could use it any way you like in combination with your amp's channels to get different levels and styles of gain. It's a great distortion, a great OD, and a great buffer that you can use any way you like.

How's that?
                        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Smashing! Technically, its a bit over my head what was described about it, but it kind of reminds me of a King of Tone type thing ( just bought one), but with a different tone stack /distortion? Theres two different sections in the KoT.
                          Will the OD /Raptor section do a decent clean boost..I think that would really be great if you could redesign to to be a decent clean boost/OD if it ain't already.
                          One thing I don't like about the clips ( haven't got it yet) of the KoT , is that on the OD section, it doesn't get as much 'hair' or 'rasp' on the OD as I would like, but Analogman does say its for those who already have their perfect tone , and just want to boost it or overdrive it without losing its signature.
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

As soon as you have a price estimate, let us know. Sounds like a nice box o' fun!

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                              Back story:

A few years ago, I built a pedal called the FTL Drive. It was a TS circuit with a few major changes: six position selectable clip circuit, additional EQ controls, and a foot-switchable gain boost. I liked it so much that I decided to offer a production run of them to the people on the forum. I built two runs of ten, and sold all of them.

It was a difficult pedal to build (mainly due to my less-than-stellar enclosure layout) so I retired it after two runs. However, I still had a stack of FTL Drive PCB's, so I decided to turn them into something else. The result of that was the Raptor - a simplified version of the FTL Drive. It had two clip/gain settings instead of six, a simplified EQ, and no foot-switchable boost. I set the price nice and low and sold out the entire run in less than 24 hours. I really like the Raptor. I built myself one and it's still on my pedal board.

After the Raptor run was completed, I toyed with the idea of doing another design. My life was going through a massive upheaval at the time though, and I didn't want to take on that much responsibility. Honestly, designing a pedal is fun, but building a dozen pedals is many hours of mindless, repetitive labour. So I scrapped the idea, decided to forget about pedal builds, and focused on other things in my life.

--------

About a year and a half has passed since I shipped the last Raptor. A lot has happened in my life since then - most of it good. Lately I've toyed with the idea of doing a run of pedals again. Yes, the manual labour involved is obnoxious, but I learned a lot about design and layout from my Raptor/FTL experiences, and I think I can streamline the process a lot. More importantly, I miss being able to help people find their tone. The most rewarding thing for me was reading posts about how happy people were with their pedals, and how they were using them.

So, I've decided to take another crack at building pedals. I'll talk about my design idea in the next post ...
                              Nice RD....Once again...good luck with it! I'm sure you'll offer another good tone clip so all of us can hear it?
                              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X