Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: combo vs head

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    I don't know. Most 2x12 's are pretty heavy and bulky to drag around. With a separate head and cab, you may have to make another trip, but the weight and bulk isn't as bad on either trip.

For most local gigs, a 30+ watt 1x12 combo is enough. On a big stage a half stack looks more impressive, but you really don't need it, as you can mic a small amp and get all the volume you need.
    True ... I used to have a couple of head/cabs in the 90's but now all I have is combo's and they're a lot easier to handle/for practice gigs etc..especially since I live in an apartment. I don't really hear a huge difference in sound. As you mentioned...I mike them on stage and they sound fine at lower volumes for practice.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

If it's a tube amp, you're far less likely to deal with tube rattles and microphonics in a head unit simply because in a combo the tubes are mere inches away from the speaker backs.

I guess the other advantage of a head/cab setup is the ability to easily swap around different cabs for different tones and portability with the same amp. Don't feel like dragging your 4x12 everywhere? Get a 1x12 or 2x10 for those smaller gigs or rehearsals.

But I've got all combos so as if I know what I'm talking about.
      -
      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I hate questions like this, where you're asking it to a big group of players from different styles of music. The guys answering all have vastly different styles.....to be expected on a pickup site.

Amp rigs all do something specifically good, and it's dumb to lump all tube amps into possible choices, when you really need to know what style amp fits your style of music.

In general, closed back cabs deliver more directional thump and tightness. Open back combos are more open sounding, with more airy highs and looser lows. Closed back combos have become more popular amongst the highgain combo players, which splits the difference.

Then, you've got to figure out if you like the EL-34 or 6L6 sound, because that's another large part of the equation.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I prefer combos most of the time. If I am shopping for an amp, and it comes in either a head or 1x12 combo, I will get the 1x12, hands down (unless the head version is an unbeatable deal). That makes it a single unit that will cover most things, and if I ever want more speakers, all I have to do is use the combo as a head. At that point, the only disadvantage of having the combo is that you have to carry an unnecessary 12" speaker with you (the one in the combo cab). No big deal. And with some amps, you can even use it along with the speakers in the extension cab.

In certain cases, I prefer heads, though. For instance, when there is no 1x12 combo version available, and especially when there is not even a 2x12 combo version available, but only a 4x10 combo. I'd rather have a head than a 4x10 combo, e.g. an Ampeg V-2 instead of a VT-40. And in the case of the VT-22, I'd definitely rather have the head version. The V-4 head is a hog enough in it's own right. Adding two 12's and some more wood to it makes it pretty rough. Easier to make two trips for a head and a cab in that case.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-09-2012, 12:48 AM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
            Can't have your cake...
            I tend to disagree with that. If you find the right combo, with the right outs, you can run an extension cabinet alongside the combo and not lose the use of the speakers in the combo itself. What's more, if they come from the same manufacturer, they stack (and look) just fine. Blackstar would be one example, Orange I think, is another, but there must be others.
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
              I tend to disagree with that. If you find the right combo, with the right outs, you can run an extension cabinet alongside the combo and not lose the use of the speakers in the combo itself. What's more, if they come from the same manufacturer, they stack (and look) just fine. Blackstar would be one example, Orange I think, is another, but there must be others.
              Way better looking than a Marshall half-stack IMO:

Plus you can place two of the speakers anywhere on the stage if you want to.

And it means you don't have to haul a half stack to most of your gigs, because it is a PITA, and most of the time you certainly aren't helping your band's sound any by doing it.

And for some dumb reason, on the used market, Marshall combos have significantly lower values than Marshall heads.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-08-2012, 03:29 AM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                Way better looking than a Marshall half-stack IMO:

Plus you can place two of the speakers anywhere on the stage if you want to.

And it means you don't have to haul a half stack to most of your gigs, because it is a PITA, and most of the time you certainly aren't helping your band's sound any by doing it.

And for some dumb reason, on the used market, Marshall combos have significantly lower values than Marshall heads.
                To me, that just seems to work as a best of both worlds. The combo works on its own when you need to save space/time etc., but you can still use the extension with it to bulk things up a little and increase the spread of the sound. I'm constantly amazed more manufacturers don't included the feature, is it's just a couple more taps on the output transformer and an extra socket.
                Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

How much is your budget?

For a grand you could swing a Marshall DSL head (used) and a new Avatar Cab (1x12 or 2x12) all for under a grand.
                  Originally posted by grumptruck
                  No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                  Originally posted by Gear Used
                  PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                  Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                  Mesa Stiletto Ace
                  Gurus 5015
                  Mesa Widebody 1X12
                  Pedalboard

Comment

My 2x12 combo weighs a ton. Its a total PITA to move or lift. Heavy duty wheels can be bought cheap and make a world of difference. I do like the idea of separate cabs just becuz you can swap heads/cabs when needed.

Here I'm using a Mark 5 head with my TSL602 combo. It sits on top of another 2x12 cab. I can plug the speakers into the combo or the Mark 5 when I want to.

Really it all comes down to your needs, playing styles, venue, etc.

I think the first step should be identifying the right amp/sound for you. Then see what options they have in combo/head formats.
                    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                    DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                      The unfortunate reality is that you may need several kinds of amps to be a gigging musician these days. A stack with your Metal band; a Deluxe Reverb for your Blues band.

I prefer a Mesa Boogie amp. When I can't use my half-stack, either due to volume issues or a tiny stage, I like to use my Mesa Mark IV 112 EVM combo on top of a Mesa 112 EVM Theile cab. It's a small footprint, and the knobs are at a good height. A Mark IV is a darn good recording amp, in that it can produce such a wide range of tones. While that tweakability might not be the thing you want for live usage (though it works for me!), in the studio it's a great feature to have. Sounds like you don't have the budget for a Mark IV, or a Marshall stack, though. This is one place where I might recommend using a modelling amp, like a Line 6, Vox or Fender Cyber-Twin.

In the studio, size doesn't matter one bit; many artists and engineers will tell you that a small Fender Tweed amp can sound HUGE in the studio. I doubt one could even count the number of records made using small tubes amps like a Vibro Champ, Princeton and Deluxe Reverbs.

If you are playing live with a good PA, you might not need a huge amp, either. Your sound engineer will want to mic up your amp and keep your stage volume low--to let the PA do the heavy lifting. And here in blues-crazy Portland, you see a lot of guys using that 22-watt Deluxe Reverb cranked in a small club--unmiked--and still have enough amp. Now, that probably won't work well for your Death/Thrash/Speed Metal band, either in tone or image.

Another hard reality to face though, might simply be, "How am I going to transport this monster amp to my gigs?" Not a problem if you've got access to a soccer-mom van, and three guys to help you--big problem if you're trying to load a 412 into the back seat of a Honda Fit by yourself.

I have amps that go from 15, 30, 35, 50, 75, 85 and 200 watts. Having the right sized amp for any venue is a must. (BTW, my 200-watt Mesa Mark III Coliseum half-stack is total overkill for me--but it is a GREAT sounding amp!) I'd look into perhaps some kind of modelling head, and then getting a 412 or 212, and a 112 cab. That is at least a start for building a stable of amps.

And don't be afraid to buy used gear. Do budget for a service check up and a set of new tubes. You might be in a area where that pawn shop might have an OLD Peavey Butcher, VTM 60 or 120, Triumph, Mace or Heritage. These are great sounding, well-made amps that can be had for CHEAP--and they take pedals well. There might be a Marshall JCM 900 or JTM 60 out there ready to rock; or a Fender Concert, 75 or Twin Reverb II that need a set of dirt pedals to turn into screamers. A three-channel Mesa Nomad would be a fabulous find, and I know there are several in my area for VERY reasonable prices. These are all amps that are going to do well in both the studio and on the stage. Remember, Jimmy Page did wonders in the studio with a Supro amp (they were NOT the best amps!) and a $75 Tele.

Whatever you do, it all comes down to tone. If nothing else, you really want to get the best sounding amp. And I would advise you to buy a PRO-QUALITY amp, even if you have to spend a little more--even if you have to wait a little longer--even if you have to give up your $3.00 lattes--even if you have to give up your Jack and your micro-brews.

Good luck in your career!

Bill
                      thanks! that was a lot of useful info.
                      Guitars:
                      Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:
                      Peavey MX VTX, Bugera 333x Infinium

Pedals:
                      AMT SS-11B

Comment

seems it ponts to the combo amp for now. later i will get the cab.

for all those who recommended the used ear, thanks, but i've already look into it an everything is overpriced down here and shipping costs for the north are ridiculous. trust me i've tried.
                        Guitars:
                        Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:

Pedals:
                        AMT SS-11B

Comment

thanks for all of the replies!
                          Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:
                          AMT SS-11B

Comment

You're welcome!

Bill
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Aside from the tone differences, which is a personal choice, there are some indisputable facts that have been mentioned. Maybe they should be reitterated.

Combos are heavier and bigger than a head or a cab. Yes, a combo is lighter than the head plus cab, but the head and cab can be carried separately. The head and cab can fit into smaller areas (back seat/trunk/passenger seat) of a car. You have no choice with the combo...it's clumsy and big.

The speaker vibration to the tubes in a combo leads to premature failure of the tubes.

Heads can be hooked up to different speakers depending upon the tone you want and the power/volume/sound dispersion you need. You can run it thru a small 1x12 cab with a warm bluesy speaker or a bright rocker, a 2x12 cab, a 4x10, a 4x12, or a couple 4x12's with any combination of speakers, and change your cab while still playing thru your same head. = Greater flexability/versatility.

The combo has tubes down which has poor air circulation and heats up the amp section dramatically. This leads to amp problems as well as tubes overheating too.

I install fans in ALL my tubes down amps (even some heads are tubes down).

I used to be a combo type guy and still have five. But lately all I buy are heads.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X