Fuzz Pedals - Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz Pedals - Where to start?

Never tried one, not a clue who makes them these days, wouldn't have a clue what's good and what's not: Anyone want to offer me a starting point? In my head, I want something that sounds like Jimmy Page's solo in 10 Years Gone - I'm assuming that's fuzz, but I'm sure someone will correct me if not.

Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Re: Fuzz Pedals - Where to start?

i cant watch the video here but for fuzz id go either a good muff or the dunlop hendrix fuzz which is a nice silicon fuzz face. go try em and see if you like em, fuzz isnt for everyone. page used a tonebender, not sure what clone is the closest

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      i cant watch the video here but for fuzz id go either a good muff or the dunlop hendrix fuzz which is a nice silicon fuzz face. go try em and see if you like em, fuzz isnt for everyone. page used a tonebender, not sure what clone is the closest
      +1 on Page using a Tonebender, I've been looking for a close, they really aren't out there too much.

Jeremy's pretty much right. The Dunlop Blue Hendrix wah is awesome, though it's really a one trick pony. It's great for replicating Hendrix's tone if that's what you want. No one really liked the red Dunlop Hendrix fuzz. Hendrix used both in different stages of his career, David Gilmour used both before going to Big Muffs

Big Muffs- I prefer the Lil'Big Muff for its size. It's more versatile than the Fuzz Face, can be much more powerful, but really won't give you the Hendrix tone- though it's been used by countless artists on countless albums. I like it alot.

The Lil Big Muff was my favorite, until I got the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. It's basically a Big Muff, it will get you the big muff tone, but it's much more powerful, has much more range in the controls, is much more versatile due to the mini pots as well as the adjustments you can make in the pedal. It's like a Big Muff on steroids that you can fine tune much much further to get your own tone, or use it simply as a Big Muff type tone.

Comment

The road to Hell is paved with good fuzz pedals. Beware; once you start down this road forever will it dominate your destiny!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
          The road to Hell is paved with good fuzz pedals. Beware; once you start down this road forever will it dominate your destiny!
          +1
          I spent 30 minutes with my first fuzz and I already want a new flavor.

I really, really like my new lovepedal silicon fuzzmaster. It's EXTREMELY versatile and yet it still sounds great.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Cheers guys. SInce posting that, I've spent a good while auditioning things - mostly on ProGuitarShop as it happens. That Lovepedal is sounding really good so far.
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Fulltone's SoulBender, IMO, is a very under-appreciated pedal. It's a ToneBender clone that I really dig. It definitely gives up the goods when dealing with this type of music. I don't know if he's using the Tone Bender on Ten Years Gone...Could be. Definitely for Led Zeppelin I you can hear it.
              - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
              - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
              - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
              - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
              - Tungsten Buckwheat
              - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
              - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
              - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Man, I love that album. Gonna have to go slap it on the turntable now...bye.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
                  Cheers guys. SInce posting that, I've spent a good while auditioning things - mostly on ProGuitarShop as it happens. That Lovepedal is sounding really good so far.
                  Yeah, I loved the demo for that pedal. He sold me on it when he played Spanish Castle Magic. I'm not really going for Jimi's tone, but just the way he made it sound, and they way he worked the guitar's volume in that demo to change the tone, sold me.

As a first time fuzz user, I can't recommend it enough.
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                  1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                  1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                  Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

if you like Jimmy Page I'd suggest looking at a Fulltone Soulbender it's based on the old Tonebenders and should nail that type of tone.

My favorite fuzzies are the Soulbender and 69 from Fulltone, Superfuzz from Voodoo Lab, Fuzz Factory from ZVEX, I also like Big Muff Pi's. There are a lot of fuzz options depending on the type of circuit and transistors you like.

Comment

start off with a swollen pickle, then explore from there
                      i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

If you want classic 60s, 70s fuzzy tones I have found the Big Muff is not it. It is a great pedal for its violin sustain mid cut sound. But it is very different to the cracking almost octave like mid heavy 60s fuzz and the more organic sound of tonebenders. Look at clips of tonebenders and fuzzes like the Peppermint Fuzz. Maybe you want a big muff they are cool pedals (Id avoid the Big Muff Tone Wicker though I really didnt gel with that) but are not what comes to mind when people say fuzz.
                        Gondola Kid
                        Bandcamp
                        Facebook
                        JimijaymesGuitarist
                        Youtube

Comment

Avoid the boss FZ-5 pos in my opinion just sounds false.
                          Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
                          you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                            Yeah, I owned a Big Muff for a few days, and it convinced me that fuzz was not my thing. I guess it's my destiny to forever play guitar without fuzz.

Comment

Not a fuzz
                              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                              X