X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fuzz Pedals - Where to start?

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    Not a fuzz
    What are you talking about - the Big Muff?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

good place to start....plenty of fuzz faces and variations. Hand built. Great stuff.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'd say go with a used Hendrix or Bonamassa Fuzzface to try them out first. They won't set you back as much as most boutique pedals and they're real good. The enclosure and reversed i/o aren't for everyone though, specially if you're going for a compact pedalboard. I paid $75 (50 pounds) for mine, although I know it might be a bit harder to track a used one in the UK than in the US.

I bought the Hendrix as my first fuzz, and I just never had to progress since I was so happy with it. From that family I've since tried the Sunface (not sure of the trannies) and the MJM London (germanium) and while they did feel and sound better to me, the Hendrix is enough for now. Another option with some modern commodities is the MXR BC108, but for some reason the Hendrix just sounded better to me. Not sure if it was the perceived mojo or whatever though.

When it comes to other fuzz families like Tonebenders though, I'm a complete ignorant. Not a fan of the Big Muff Pi though. Some of the crazier Devi Ever contraptions are cool though and most remind me of a souped up Muff, but I'm not too keen on them overall.

Comment

Well I'll be shopping in Austin, TX next month, so it will be whatever I can find there to try out for now.

I have to say though, I'm amazed at how much interest has been generated on a thread about the humble fuzz. Truly heartwarming it is...
          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Fuzz is kinda like marmite. It's got a quirky flavor entirely it's own, it goes better over crunchy toast than regular bread (overdriven vs. clean amp...not always though), and it's a love it or hate it thing. Most people that love it, really do love it.

Comment

I've been on a fuzz kick since Christmas, with an MXR Classic 108 fuzz. Love it, love how it fattens up single-coil sounds particularly (although it's also fun with humbuckers).

The Classic 108 is simply the guts of the Hendrix Fuzz Face in a pedalboard friendly shape, with a buffer, AC operation and a few other features. I'm aware of what Hendrix, Gilmour, Eric Johnson (and others) have done with 'Faces, but I'm not trying to emulate any of those guys. You can do your own thing. That's the beauty of a good fuzz.

Originally posted by nedcronin
              Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
              Originally posted by metalmachine
              dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that full on fuzz is not my thing. I am toying with the idea of a Big Muff with Tone Wicker, that's probably about as nasty as I'm prepared to go.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I'm saying the solo in that Zep track is not a fuzz...
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I'm curious about the Joe Bonamassa fuzz myself. Joe uses humbuggies like I do so maybe it will gel with my Marshall rig and buckers
                    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Get a SD TweakFuzz and do the volume mod
                      and no that clip aint a Fuzz

sounds like a buzzy chorus
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I hear a phaser on that solo, but not much fuzz.

Question for you Fuzz Face Fanatics (Christian in particular): how does the MXR 108 rate compared to the other FF's that go under the Dunlop name? Is it a fairly authentic Fuzz Face, with added modern convenience (i.e. the buffer). Or has it lost some of it vintage purity in the attempt to make it more user-friendly?
                        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                          I hear a phaser on that solo, but not much fuzz.

Question for you Fuzz Face Fanatics (Christian in particular): how does the MXR 108 rate compared to the other FF's that go under the Dunlop name? Is it a fairly authentic Fuzz Face, with added modern convenience (i.e. the buffer). Or has it lost some of it vintage purity in the attempt to make it more user-friendly?
                          The trannys in the BC108 and the blue Hendrix Fuzz are the same but the rest of the parts are different and the construction is different.

I've never A/Bed the 2 and to be honest I've never even tried the BC108 but I do own a blue Hendrix fuzz and it's just a killer pedal and at the price point it's mind blowing.
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                          X