Help me with tube amps, please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with tube amps, please...

Hi to all!!! I own a Peavey ValveKing 212 Combo... it seems it has't got dynamic in drive channel, so I decided to change it (I like the clean sound, but I find that in overdrive channel the gain control works in a strange way: there is not chunch... it seems it works as an on/off switch,..., no distortion or full distortion... and with the volume of my guitars (a USA Strat with JBjr. in bridge position and Li'l59 in neck position and a Les Paul Standard) I can't set the amount of gain...
    I've seen Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 Combo and a Marshall MA50H (a Chinese made head)... I used to play a Marshall JCM 900 50W 212 Combo, so with Marshall I feel like being home, but I am not shure about the quality of this "entry-level" head. About Fender, instead, I think versatility and both good clean and overdrive sound could be the right choice (I've found an ex-demo Fender that costs about 150 $ less than the new Marshall "half-stack").
    I play everything: I play in a Cranberries cover band and then in a rock band (we go from Lynyrd Skynyrd to Aerosmith and from CCR to Ozzy...).
    I like the amp sound: I mean,..., I use a Boss Chorus, Boss Overdrive, Dunlop Cry-Baby and Digitech Delay (all stomp-boxes)... I don't know what amp to buy... I am scared to make the mistake I have made with Peavey (and it is hard to gain money, so, why to spend it in a wrong way): I sold my JCM 900 for a Flextone III of Line6 (and that was my first mistake), then I decided to buy a cheap Peavey tube amp (and that's my second mistake...).
    Thank you for the attention!

Re: Help me with tube amps, please...

Was there a question in there?
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
      Was there a question in there?
      After careful analysis, I have determined that the question was pertaining to a replacement tube amp that could cover everything from his rock bands repertoire of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, CCR and Ozzy, as well has his Cranberries cover band.

I vote Fender DRRI with appropriate dirt pedals; Rat, Tube Screamer, etc., to cover the rock band stuff.
      Last edited by MojoMonster; 02-14-2012, 01:22 PM.
      MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
      Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

My head hurts after reading that.
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Originally posted by Gear Used
        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

I just want to know how many gigs a Cranberries cover band gets.
          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
            I just want to know how many gigs a Cranberries cover band gets.
            They're real popular around Thanksgiving.

Comment

The problem is there is not chunch.

Comment

Originally posted by MojoMonster View Post
                I vote Fender DRRI with appropriate dirt pedals; Rat, Tube Screamer, etc., to cover the rock band stuff.
                this is what I did!

Boss Blues driver for "more of my own amp" kind of drive
                Les Lius for TEH TWEEDZ!!
                Mi Audio Crunchbox because I can't jam on a cranked JCM900 in my apartment
                Looking for a wampler Plexi-drive or carl martin plexi-tone to get that JTM45 next.

Let me tell you straight up that unless it's a sheer volume war, my DRRI and my Crunchbox will sh*t on the MA50. The MA50 has been described by some as sounding "like a swarm of bees" and I fully concur. The crunch box can be smooth if you need smooth or gritty and cutting if you want that. It'll do Aerosmith at lower gain settings, and it'll do Ozzy if you wind it up.

Comment

Being a Marshall man myself, I say, get an old Super lead 50 or 100, or an old JCM 800, 50 or 100 watt. Laney also makes great amps. For great sound, but less wattage, get a British Vox AC30 (not the new chinese ones, unless you want to retube them w/JJ tubes). I've got friends that swear by the Carvin line of amps as well, especially the 2x12 Belaire combo w/vintage 30 speakers. I hope this has been helpul. The main thing is, spend the money wisely the 1st time, so you don't have to correct it later.
                  Farhad aka Strat111

"The older I get, the better I used to be".
                  Woke up this morning, sticky, broke, & confused.

Comment

HrDeville 2x12 with a good od-dist pedals will do it all.. Just sayin
                    Durango Guitar Works
                    Short Scale Guitars

Comment

either go back to a marshall...preferably a DSL cos they are good, versatile and cheap.
                      Or do what the other guys reckon and go for a fender and use a couple of well chosen pedals.
                      Those mistakes you mentioned....thats all good learning experiences! worth more than money IMO.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The Egnater Tweaker 40 might be a great candidate for you because of it's dual channel design and all the different "tweak" knobs/switches you can coax a variety of fendery, voxy, and marshally tones out of one amp.

I've been able to conjur up an assortment of great cleans, lightly overdriven, moderately overdriven, and even some heavier gained tones out of my Tweaker.

The 40 is probably what I should've gone with in terms of long term flexibility as it has more headroom for playing clean and the second channel can be nice.

Mine takes pedals nicely so if you use any fuzz, od, dist, or other effects you can do a lot with them.

Just some food for thought, other than that Vox AC15, Vox AC30, Fender Vibrolux, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Fender Twin, Marhsall, Blackstar HT series, etc should all provide you with a good array of clean-driven sounds. There are a lot of great inexpensive tube amps available if possible go to a music store and audition as many as you can. Or do some home/internet research read reviews, watch demos on youtube, etc.

Comment

I'm biased.

A blackstar head of your liking -> Marshall 4x12 = sorted.
                          Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
                          you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Thank you for your answers... I'll go to try some amps on suturday...
                            About Cranberries cover band... we play more or less twice a month...

Comment

Working...
                            X