Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WGS Veteran 30 vs. Celestion V30

Hey guys,

I am going to put a new speaker in my Blackstar HT-40 Combo. I was planning on putting a Celestion V30 in it, but then I saw the WGS Veteran 30. Do you think its as good as a V30?
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Re: WGS Veteran 30 vs. Celestion V30

I think either the WGS 30 or the Eminence Governor is a "better" sounding speaker than the Vintage 30.
    Best
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

everyone says that the WGS and the Eminence have less of a spike in the midrange that can cause the celestion to sound kind of blaring.
      I haven't played any v30s besides the Celestion but I've read about a bunch about the alternatives back when I was checking out options for my DRRI, so take my post with a grain of salt.

Comment

Oh I completely forgot about the Governor.

I guess the best question would be... between the Veteran 30, Vintage 30, and Governor, which do you think would be the best in a marshall style 1x12 combo. I'm looking for nice crisp cleans and crunchy gain, but not too bright and not too dark. Just a good medium ground speaker. I play lead and rythm. I'm guessing that any of these would be better than the Celestion 70/80 that is in the amp right now though. Lol

Comment

The governor is 102db and the WGS Vet30 is 98 or 99. The governor should be noticeably louder. If you need the extra volume I'd try the governor. If you don't, a lot of people say they like the WGS stuff, and they have a 30 day refund policy should you not like it.

Comment

I don't like the mild-ness of the copies, because the spike is kind of what makes the V30 what it is. So if I did want a V30 I'd probably go for the Celestion.

Comment

dude...you can't go wrong with trying out the WGS!
              Originally posted by jeremy
              God hates bad guitar tone
              GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
              AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
              EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
              Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

In a 1x12? None. Get a G12K or an EV.

Comment

Why is it so hard to decide??? I have been listening to clips all day, and considering other speakers too, but I still can't decide! Lol

Comment

Well, what are you looking for?

Classic Rock? Go for Greenback or equivalent.
                    Articulate, crunchy, metal? Vintage 30 or equivalent.
                    Scooped modern metal? G12T-75 or equivalent.
                    Good all-around balance? G12H30 or equivalent.

That's my take anyway, although I am a big fan of Eminence. The equivalents from top to bottom are the Private Jack, the Governor, the Man-Of-War (I think), and the Wizard. If you get to pick two, I don't think I've heard a better tone than the mix of the Governor and the Wizard.

Comment

When I had my HT-5 it sounded better with my WGS Retro 30's and Veteran 30's than it did with my Vintage 30's.
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                        Well, what are you looking for?

Classic Rock? Go for Greenback or equivalent.
                        Articulate, crunchy, metal? Vintage 30 or equivalent.
                        Scooped modern metal? G12T-75 or equivalent.
                        Good all-around balance? G12H30 or equivalent.

That's my take anyway, although I am a big fan of Eminence. The equivalents from top to bottom are the Private Jack, the Governor, the Man-Of-War (I think), and the Wizard. If you get to pick two, I don't think I've heard a better tone than the mix of the Governor and the Wizard.
                        Well I play a lot of stuff... contemporary worship music, classic rock, heavier rock stuff, some country, and some bluesy stuff. Don't really play metal. I like a crisp and sparkly clean, and a tight, fat, crunchy gain, but not too harsh. I guess that's really the best I can describe what I'm looking for.
                        Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                        When I had my HT-5 it sounded better with my WGS Retro 30's and Veteran 30's than it did with my Vintage 30's.
                        I listened to some clips of the Retro 30 today, and I liked what I was hearing. I liked all 3 of those, they were all different, but I couldn't really picked one I could say that I liked better. They were all good at their own thing.

Comment

I think I am going to go with a WGS speaker. I'm listening to some clips on their site right now. So its either the Verteran 30, Retrp 30, British Lead 80, and ET-65. I think they all sound great...

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
                            I think I am going to go with a WGS speaker. I'm listening to some clips on their site right now. So its either the Verteran 30, Retrp 30, British Lead 80, and ET-65. I think they all sound great...
                            i'm going to eventually replace the Vintage 30 in my Traynor with the Retro 30.

i was going to suggest it to you...but didn't want to confuse you further...ahahah!
                            Originally posted by jeremy
                            God hates bad guitar tone
                            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                              i'm going to eventually replace the Vintage 30 in my Traynor with the Retro 30.

i was going to suggest it to you...but didn't want to confuse you further...ahahah!
                              Hahaha!! Alright, thanks lol Yeah I thought the Retro 30 sounded great! I really loved the tone of the ET-65 too.

Comment

Working...
                              X