WGS Veteran 30 vs. Celestion V30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WGS Veteran 30 vs. Celestion V30

Its down to the ET-65 and the Retro 30...
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
      Its down to the ET-65 and the Retro 30...
      Decisions...decisions!
      Originally posted by jeremy
      God hates bad guitar tone
      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

I had some ET65's and still own some Retro's.

The 65's are less efficient and have little treble and sound pretty smooth on the highend. The mids are very pleasant and the lows are compact and tight.

The R30's are more efficient and have a nice biting treble that is never shrill or offensive. The mids are...perfect, and the lows are bigger and thicker.

The 65's had a nice sound, but were too....tame for my liking. Not enough snap sizzle or crunch. More of a performance issue than a tone issue really. The R30's are just more my thing and got more use so I traded the 65's for a pair of Vet30's.
        Hope that helps some.
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
          I had some ET65's and still own some Retro's.

The 65's are less efficient and have little treble and sound pretty smooth on the highend. The mids are very pleasant and the lows are compact and tight.

The R30's are more efficient and have a nice biting treble that is never shrill or offensive. The mids are...perfect, and the lows are bigger and thicker.

The 65's had a nice sound, but were too....tame for my liking. Not enough snap sizzle or crunch. More of a performance issue than a tone issue really. The R30's are just more my thing and got more use so I traded the 65's for a pair of Vet30's.
          Hope that helps some.
          Hmmm, that actually helps quite a bit! Thanks, I think you may have steered me towards the Retro 30.

Comment

I think I'll get the Retro 30, and if I don't like it, I'll just return it and get an ET-65.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
              Hey guys,

I am going to put a new speaker in my Blackstar HT-40 Combo. I was planning on putting a Celestion V30 in it, but then I saw the WGS Veteran 30. Do you think its as good as a V30?
              The real comparison should be between the Vintage 30 and WGS Retro 30. Retro 30 is very complex and balanced, and still has the Celestion upper mid urgency...which I love.

I am thinking of replacing the V30s in my Bogner with Retro 30s and installing Invaders in my Stone Age 212C. In my THD 212, I am thinking Vet30/ET65.
              Last edited by papersoul; 06-05-2012, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Ordering Invaders today to follow up from what I posted above...

Comment

I actually ended up going with a Retro 30.

Comment

^ Good choice. The Retro30 is closer to the Vintage 30 sound than the Vet30 is. crisp highs, great present mids without the spikyness and tight lows.

I believe the Vet30 has a fatter low end/midrange and smoother highs.

Comment

Vintage 30s are still better

Comment

If you want a V30, buy a V30. Certain amps sound killer with a V30. My PWE, Mesa and Bogner all sound amazing with V30s. At rehearsal I had another guitarist play my rig. I moved around the room and it sounded perfect, better than the WGS Vet30/ET65 I had.

Comment

I have my Marshall 2x12 cab loaded with the Veteran 30's and all I can say it's that the diference is not that noticeable compared to the Celestion V30's (MIE). The way I would describe them is that the Veteran 30's sound like an older well broken-in Vintage 30's and the mids although still present, they are not as out there and as a brand new V30, but the difference is slightly noticeable. But a lot also depends on the amp and the cab itself... I love my WGS Vet 30's, but I also loved the V30 that were in the 4x12 Mesa Traditional cab I had before... it's only a very slightly different flavor of the same speaker.
                          Last edited by ToneScavenger; 09-16-2012, 05:10 PM.
                          Washburn Atlantis EC26 (YJM Fury/Screamin' Demon w/Triple Shot) and Washburn Parallaxe PXS100ARFRWHM (PATB-1n/PATB-3)
                          Rivera M100 and Rivera Bonehead.

Good deals with: Savage Distortion, IndySG, Masta' C, RayBarbeeMusic, Monsta-Tone, Chickencoop, Traumatized.

Comment

I never find V30s spikey at all. mine are all thick and smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                              Well, what are you looking for?

Classic Rock? Go for Greenback or equivalent.
                              Articulate, crunchy, metal? Vintage 30 or equivalent.
                              Scooped modern metal? G12T-75 or equivalent.
                              Good all-around balance? G12H30 or equivalent.

That's my take anyway, although I am a big fan of Eminence. The equivalents from top to bottom are the Private Jack, the Governor, the Man-Of-War (I think), and the Wizard. If you get to pick two, I don't think I've heard a better tone than the mix of the Governor and the Wizard.
                              I thought the legend gb128 was the greenback "clone" from eminence. heard good things about it, supposed to be a nice greenback clone for your money. You think the governor is a greenback type speaker?

edit: or should i say you think the private jack is the gb clone?
                              Last edited by lNllClK; 09-17-2012, 10:24 AM. Reason: said wrong thing
                              "Time flies like arrows, and fruit flies like bananas."

Comment

You can play anything with any of these speakers. The speaker does not define the music, just like a pickup does not define the music. I play killer blues and soft rock with V30s and G12K-100a. I also play heavy hard rock on greenbacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X