Eleven Rack vs. POD HD vs. AxeFX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eleven Rack vs. POD HD vs. AxeFX

I have played the Eleven Rack and POD HD, but still haven't tried an AxeFX II. I know how the older AxeFX Ultra sounds but I wasn't as impressed as the die-hard AxeFX fans seem to be. To me it kind of reminded me of a refined mix of the GT-8 and GSP1101. It sounded better, but still like a processor so I never really got the adulation about them.

The Eleven Rack was pretty impressive for the price. I thought it had a more realistic feel and sound than the POD HD, but it's still kind of flat and doesn't have the dimension that a real tube amp has. I'll never be able to keep a processor until they can emulate the depth and dimension tube amps have. That will probably never happen, but I wouldn't mind having an Eleven Rack around to copy some signature sounds for cover songs.

What I don't like about the Eleven Rack is ProTools which wouldn't install on any of my laptops or computers. Tech support was worthless to help, and their best recommendation was to purchase an expensive sound card. To tweak the Eleven Rack in ways you can do with a POD HD interface, you have to use the software. That was the case when they first came out and I don't know if that ever changed. Judging by the pathetic support I received from Avid, I wouldn't expect it to have been improved.

It's too bad because the Eleven Rack seems like Avid came out with a potentially great product convinced that it was perfect at the outset. Unfortunately, it's not and they don't seem to care to make it that way because they seem to have the attitude that it can't be improved on.

So the POD HD was pretty cool and did seem to have some improved tones, but something about the way it sounds still rubs me the wrong way. People say the AxeFX II is better than the predecessors and beats the Eleven Rack senseless, but I have yet to hear a patch that blows me away.

What are your thoughts on these processors? Which is best for live use the Eleven Rack, POD HD Pro, or AxeFX II?

Re: Eleven Rack vs. POD HD vs. AxeFX

Ive used all three of these and the AssFX is actually my least favourite the high end sounds really bizarre and the low end sounds very sterile.

I prefer the Eleven Rack by far and found it a heck of a lot of fun to play through.

The PodHD was a HUGE step up from the XT/X3 but it still had that strange modellery sound going on.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
    http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
      Ive used all three of these and the AssFX is actually my least favourite the high end sounds really bizarre and the low end sounds very sterile.

I prefer the Eleven Rack by far and found it a heck of a lot of fun to play through.

The PodHD was a HUGE step up from the XT/X3 but it still had that strange modellery sound going on.
      Thanks. You're not the only one who seems to have that opinion. Apparently the AxeFX wins a lot of folks over because of all the features and amp models that it includes. It seems like a lot of people who love it always mention that it includes so much. Have you used the Eleven Rack live?

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
        Thanks. You're not the only one who seems to have that opinion. Apparently the AxeFX wins a lot of folks over because of all the features and amp models that it includes. It seems like a lot of people who love it always mention that it includes so much. Have you used the Eleven Rack live?
        No i have only used one at a friends house he runs it through a rocktron velocity power amp into a 1960a and it sounds excellent.

As for the variety thing i agree the fanboys do always mention that but i would personally just have one or two absolutely amazing sounds (2 channel amp) than hundreds of average sounding variations.
        WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Comment

No i have only used one at a friends house he runs it through a rocktron velocity power amp into a 1960a and it sounds excellent.

As for the variety thing i agree the fanboys do always mention that but i would personally just have one or two absolutely amazing sounds (2 channel amp) than hundreds of average sounding variations.
          I'd like to craft some sounds using a processor and like an Engl or Mesa Boogie power amp. I wonder if that would improve the feel and response of a processor. I used to use a Crown solid state power amp with a PodXT and a 2x12 cab. The sound was pretty good with that setup but nothing like a real rack tone. One processor that I've been dying to get my hands on is an Engl E570.

A friend of mine has a VHT power amp and runs several preamps through it, including the E570 and it sounds awesome. Hopefully he'll finally break down one day and sell it to me.

Comment

The modeller + valve amp route can sound incredibly good if its done right.

But i find most people do it and still run the cab sims on the modellers and it just sounds ridiculous
            WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Comment

I would not wanna use em live. something about tube amp in the room for shows equals awesomeness. I saw animals as leaders show and it sounded great, they use axefx. also pretty cool for the directout with IRs so that has gotta be the best directout yet.

I would only want them for low volume recordings. I see you tried all of them to an extent. for rock/classic rock I have not heard anything that blows me away either, sounds kinda sterile, too many oscillations/organic stuff going on in a real amp to be mimiced.

I hope in a few years Kemper / profiling amps blow away the rest for direct recording, I have my hopes up for that

Comment

The Kemper is a truly incredible piece of kit but its so damn ugly its unreal
                WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Comment

If it sounds good, I don't really care. I mean, it's an amp, not a piece of furniture. Or a guitar
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                  1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                  1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                  Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I tried all three and returned the POD HD500 and AxeFX.

I use 11Rack with QCS K12 and Ksub, GCP and other devices.

I programed the 11Rack using an Apple MiniMac.

And it is programmed so that I can use it with my band’s set list - live.
                    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
                      I tried all three and returned the POD HD500 and AxeFX.

I use 11Rack with QCS K12 and Ksub, GCP and other devices.

I programed the 11Rack using an Apple MiniMac.

And it is programmed so that I can use it with my band’s set list - live.
                      Do you have any videos or audio of your band's performance? I haven't been able to find good audio of an Eleven Rack used live.

Comment

I haven't played a POD HD, but I've tried both an AxeFX Ultra and an Eleven Rack. Given a choice between the two, I'd take the Axe every time. The AC30 and Plexi models in the Eleven are great, but the others were either bland or awful. The Axe on the other hand offered many more usable sounds and it actually felt like playing an amp.

Detractors like to point out that the Axe sounds 'fake' or like a modeler. It's certainly possible to make patches that sound that way and many do. A common mistake is to think of the Axe as an amp; it isn't one. It's designed to model an entire signal chain, and that's exactly what it does. A dry patch in the Axe sounds fake because we never hear an amp without ambience. The secret lies in adding the slightest amount of reverb or at least early reflections to restore a bit of the 'room sound'.

Call me a fanboy if you want, but I've decided that my next rig is going to be built around an Axe. For the number of sounds I want available the only options are a complicated amp / pedalboard setup, a rack system, or the Axe. Taking into account size, complexity, weight, sound quality, and cost the Axe is just the best option.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Hide it behind your empty wall of 1960A's.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                            A common mistake is to think of the Axe as an amp; it isn't one. It's designed to model an entire signal chain, and that's exactly what it does. A dry patch in the Axe sounds fake because we never hear an amp without ambience. The secret lies in adding the slightest amount of reverb or at least early reflections to restore a bit of the 'room sound'.
                            cool, I forgot about that in some of my recordingz to put teh reverb on the br00talz

Comment

Try a Tonelab, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X