Using 100 Watt Amp At Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using 100 Watt Amp At Home

With which type cabinet and which watt attenuator, can I get the proper sound volume at home ?

Re: Using 100 Watt Amp At Home

do you have an amp? what is it?
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by zanshin777 View Post
      With which type cabinet and which watt attenuator, can I get the proper sound volume at home ?
      Probably a cab with some low wattage speakers and one of those Koch load boxes. Someone I know uses one and says all the other attenuators he tried before aren't as good.

Comment

Doesnt really matter even with a 1x12 and a attenuator you still wont get "proper" cranked 100 watt tone. Sorry but it just doesnt happen a lot of that tone comes from the feel and response of lots of air being pushed. Attenuators dont work so great in the bedroom they work good for curbing the edge off an amp so it works on a small stage or to be able to drive your amp a bit harder live but to try and make it so your neighbors done hear your amp they effect the tone way way way too much.

Ive always used my high wattage amps at home I just use the master volume to turn it down and use a pedal or my pod in front of it to get a distortion i like.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

IS AWESOME
          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Don't try for the amp-in-the-sweet-spot OD tone. Use it as a clean platform to use pedals into. People these days are WAY too hung up on "the amp NEEDS to be up super high to sound good" trip. It's pure Bull5h!t, and always has been.
            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
              Don't try for the amp-in-the-sweet-spot OD tone. Use it as a clean platform to use pedals into. People these days are WAY too hung up on "the amp NEEDS to be up super high to sound good" trip. It's pure Bull5h!t, and always has been.
              +1
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I do every day, last night I was running the big Model T. My Weber Mass solved all those issues, use it for gigs, general playing and recording. If you are in an apartment it is very tough, but home it is a simple remedy. I can't stand pedals to get my gain, I let the amps do the work, and the attenuator to keep my wife from griping at me..
                ]
                FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

i use 3-4 different 50-100 watt tube heads thru a few different cabs... i have some lower wattage tube combo's.... never use them for home practice... my JCM 2000 and 5150 can be great for louder home pratices but i still find at lower volumes some Digital Amps just plain work better... hate to say it but i hated modelers for ages... but the current ones seem to be getting better... i'm thinking my next gear investment will be a powered monitor to run floorboard processors thru...

for over 20 years i had 2 set ups... SS combos for the bedroom... tubes for band work...

Comment

maybe use those little 6 inch speakers they would probably break up easily too. .

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000 View Post
                      I do every day, last night I was running the big Model T. My Weber Mass solved all those issues, use it for gigs, general playing and recording. If you are in an apartment it is very tough, but home it is a simple remedy. I can't stand pedals to get my gain, I let the amps do the work, and the attenuator to keep my wife from griping at me..
                      yes

thats about it, I dont like pedal / cleanamp sound, amp just never gets driven

I am in an apartment, it is pretty impossible to get a good cranked amp sound in an apartment, iso cabs only reduce 30dbA...

best bet is modelerz...

Comment

Mr Drone, That tune you linked is a mofo!
                        ]
                        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

There is an entire attenuator industry dedicated to serving bedroom guitarists who mistakenly think they need a 100W amp.
                          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                            IS AWESOME
                            You are correct, sir!!

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000 View Post
                              Mr Drone, That tune you linked is a mofo!
                              thanks brutha, rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X