Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using 100 Watt Amp At Home

Hey "zanshin777",

I think you should at least consider one of a number of speaker isolation cabinets that are available. I've known users who would use them slightly opened up to adjust the cab for use to practice... as opposed to clamping the volume and tone so much that it's only use would be tracking guitar tracks for recording using monitors to hear.
    Jet City Amps makes a really affordable one.
    Here's some more:

Madison ISO12
    MSRP $499.00
    This is the bottom of the category.

Randall ISOLATION 10 and 12- $399.00-?? S&H

Axe Trak- $399.00-?? S&H
    It uses a 6 in driver so it’s really compact.

Demeter SSC-1 Silent Speaker Chamber
    Unloaded $679.00 -?? S&H
    Loaded w/ Celestion Vintage 30
    $849.00 -?? S&H

Rivera Silent Sister-$ 999.00- Celestion G12T-75 speaker

And here's a google search:

Comment

I think the attenuator is something everyone has to try for themselves. It's a polarizing thing, you like it or you really hate it.

I've had decent results, even with my cheap Weber Load Dump. it lets me use my DRRI in my apartment. Is there some tone loss? Yeah. Does it still sound good? Good enough for me to practice with, that's for sure!

But really it comes down to how much you're attenuating. If you're taking my 22W amp on 4 and dialing the attenuator volume down to conversation volume, that's not so bad. If you're taking a 100W amp on 10 and trying to get it down to conversation levels, you'd better have a damn fine attenuator or you're going to sound like crap. If you're taking the 100W amp on 4 and attenuating it down to "loud TV" volumes, it should sound OK. Not as good as the unattenuated amp, but it should still sound OK.
      Last edited by FuseG4; 04-18-2012, 12:15 AM.

Comment

I play the (combo&pedal) tube amp rigs in these youtube demos in my bedroom, only slightly lower volume. No complaints from roommates, no vibrating walls. tube pedals rule. Crankin the signal into combos rule. Sound loud w out being loud. For me, its hard to put your guitar down w tubes- i dont get that with digital.

Hot plates also rule on some models. But they take hours of practice tweaking to get the almost sweet spot. Definitely easier to just drive 30, or 20, or 5 or even 1 watt or .1 watts.
        Last edited by KBliss; 04-18-2012, 12:54 AM.
        ••••••••••••••••••••••
        4 hb (80's rawk) comparison (PG8-DSD-Ant-JB)
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCULONDTzI
        VAN HALEN gtr tone: 10 Cheats
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcaTtAFnpWE
        Dunc Dist Demo
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbO7NvEpk0

Comment

A 100w amp that is not running at stage volume (small stage, big stage, whatever) is pointless. If all you want to do is practice with sound, get a headphone unit or something you can go into the PC with and play along to whatever backing tracks you have. No it's not going to sound like a 100w stack. It's not supposed to. It's just supposed to be sound that you can hear your practice routines with.

No one in the past or future history of mankind NEEDS the sound of their amp on full to practice with. Everyone WANTS that sound, but no one ever HAS or ever WILL NEED that specific sound just for practice.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

You might call me weird, but the worse my tone at home the better it is for my practice session.. When I nail amazing tone at home using pedals/preamp I usually end up noodling mindlessly "enjoying the tone", learning nothing..
            So thin, buzzy, grainy? 100w tube amp might be the best bedroom amp ever

Comment

For the price of an attenuator you could buy a groovy 5W or 1W combo. Would also take up less space

Comment

Why i want JCM 800 is that I don't like the tone of DSL so i won't get DSL-401 combo, next alternative is Class 5 which has not FX Loop although tone is great and which is like JTM-45, next alternative is which i've excited very much by the announcement of 1 Watt JCM800 and 1 Watt JTM-45 which has not FX Loop as well. I don't have many choices of amp brands to try and buy in my country and i want marshall sound.

Could i get the good bedroom level sound with JCM800 + 1936V (2*12) Cabinet + attenuator + OD Pedal ?

Comment

Originally posted by zanshin777 View Post
                  Why i want JCM 800 is that I don't like the tone of DSL so i won't get DSL-401 combo, next alternative is Class 5 which has not FX Loop although tone is great and which is like JTM-45, next alternative is which i've excited very much by the announcement of 1 Watt JCM800 and 1 Watt JTM-45 which has not FX Loop as well. I don't have many choices of amp brands to try and buy in my country and i want marshall sound.

Could i get the good bedroom level sound with JCM800 + 1936V (2*12) Cabinet + attenuator + OD Pedal ?

Sure you can... but it wont be the same sound as a cranked 800 through a 4x12. At bedroom levels I'm almost willing to bet you would like the DSL better than the 800.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

beware that 1 watt is still really loud for some apartments... without speaker moving air like a 412 would or even a 112 at full blast, its just not the same, but I like my modelerz...

Comment

Why do you need an effects loop for home practice?
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

A 100Marshall full stack is so loud that even me, who lives in a remote location, gets scared somene will hear it in the dead of night ( I live a littel closer than I'd like to some small low rent apartments- and think "hey, lets rip that off"). Maybe during the day is when I should blast out.
                        Other than that, the volume level of a cranked JPM master volume is just just perfect! No issues whatsoever with it being TOO loud or deafening., but just right on the edge the way father Marshall intended. People who cannot tolerate a dimed 100 watt master volume Marshall are pansies.
                        Last edited by MetalManiac; 04-18-2012, 05:36 PM.
                        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

People who cannot tolerate a dimed 100 watt master volume Marshall are pansies.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                          Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                          Originally posted by metalmachine
                          dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Why not track down a 50w JCM800 1x12 combo? We had one at my shop for a while... sounded great for low-volume riffs, but could easily crank up and hang with the band.
                            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                              Why do you need an effects loop for home practice?
                              I use the effects loop all the time for home practice. It lets you put effects after the preamp distortion . . . so if you want to run a chorus, delay, or reverb it sounds right.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                                I've had decent results, even with my cheap Weber Load Dump. it lets me use my DRRI in my apartment. Is there some tone loss? Yeah. Does it still sound good? Good enough for me to practice with, that's for sure!
                                If you aren't going to get as good a sound why bother? Modelers these days are 99% there anyway. For the price of an ISO cab or a hot plate you can get a GOOD modeler. And the effects loop is built in.
                                Originally posted by MikeS
                                a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                                Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                                whats becoming of this generation
                                We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Working...
                                X