banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Way to Wire Up a Pedal Board on a Budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Way to Wire Up a Pedal Board on a Budget?

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Hosa. I've used these for years. Not one problem.

http://www.hosatech.com/product/4714...o_Same%2C_6_in
    I prefer George L's but these Hosa's are on my small board and so far are doing pretty well!

I don't think they are as clear as the GL's but if you've got a small to med size board you should be alright.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
      I too have lots of pedals, and like the layout to be different than the signal path. I bought 20' of Mogami cable and twenty of those Hosa jacks. The cable was $1 a foot, and the jacks were $1 apiece at that quantity. $40 to wire up an almost full Pedaltrain Pro with good cable is a fair deal IMO.
      I agree, that's definitely a fair price.

I'll probably go with George L, since it seems cheap enough in the lengths that I'll need and it seems to be fairly highly regarded.

I was tripping out over the price of the connectors that I'd found, since they were like £2 or £3 each and I need a tonne of them. I'll probably end up going with these as AgileGuy recommended, even if I do have to order them from the States.
      Last edited by Kam; 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM.
      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
        See, this is the problem with running a big board. All these little costs add up so fast, it isn't even funny.
        I know exactly what you mean mate!

My main board for a while had about 16 or 17 pedals on it plus extra cables for putting individual pedals into true bypass loops etc, it gets expensive pretty quickly!
        Last edited by Brow; 04-24-2012, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcthejester13 View Post
          ?
          I lol'd, by the way.
          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Brow View Post
            I know exactly what you mean mate!

My main board for a while had about 16 pr 17 pedals on it plus extra cables for putting individual pedals into true bypass loops etc, it gets expensive pretty quickly!
            That must've sucked, dude. I'm currently running eight pedals with plans to add three or four more and I'm feeling the pain already.

Comment

Yup, probably gonna go with George L. £4 per metre isn't too bad at all, I think.

Should I go with .155 or .225?

Comment

I'd recommend thicker, but honestly don't think it matters much.

Comment

I agree, that's definitely a fair price.

I'll probably go with George L, since it seems cheap enough in the lengths that I'll need and it seems to be fairly highly regarded.

I was tripping out over the price of the connectors that I'd found, since they were like £2 or £3 each and I need a tonne of them. I'll probably end up going with these as AgileGuy recommended, even if I do have to order them from the States.
                  Yep, those are the ones I use, but I get them from a local electronics supply shop. They're great and they take up very little room.
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Yup, probably gonna go with George L. £4 per metre isn't too bad at all, I think.

Should I go with .155 or .225?
                    The cost sink with George L's isn't the wire, it's the connectors. And if you're not careful, you CAN break them!
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

No point in the .255 for a board...the actual cable for .155 and .255 is the same but the .255 has bigger insulation for a bigger feel...sound is the same and the .155 is MUCH easier to move around on a board.

Just wire it up slowly, make the cables cleanly and you won't be sorry.
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Maybe overkill but for several years I have use automotive/electronic split wire loom tubing over my George L cables...

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

The cork sniffer ones have an advantage that they really are not much more than the cheaper ones with the big chunky angle jacks. The small jacks are really good...that and the fact that you can cut to length is why they are so popular these days. I'd say go for cork sniffer in this case and you wont regret it.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                          X