banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's your favorite power tube type for tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's your favorite power tube type for tone?

i can't be the only EL34 snob.

of these popular tube types, which one do you like the most?
    EL34
    32.95%
    6L6/5881
    30.68%
    KT88
    3.41%
    EL84
    18.18%
    KT66
    5.68%
    6V6
    7.95%
    1.14%

Re: what's your favorite power tube type for tone?

The poll shows EL34s in the lead ( with a whopping total of 5 voters so far ). I like them they can do all sorts of really strange sounds when one blows and one is still working . I didn't realize this when it happened only that it sounded like I had hooked a cool phaser stomp to my amp , only I didn't .

I looked the amp over the next day to give it an inspection before I tuned it on and saw the blown tube and replaced the pair . That night it sounded good but that cool phaser sound was not there .

At home I tried the old tubes just for an experiment and there it was again . Really a wild sound too . I have FX that make it but the truth is the sound o f one blown EL34 is much better IMHO .

Hurricane Ramon
    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

EL34s are great, but I find I generally prefer EL84s. There's a chime that I really dig with EL84s and while originally I didn't care for the overdrive characteristics, I find I really dig the way EL84 tubes crunch and spit when pushed. I like that EL84 tubes are generally easier to push into overdrive and I find that light clipped sound is right where I like to be tonally. Granted the circuit has more to do with the tone than the power tubes, but I'm describing the characteristics of a typical class A EL84 circuit.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

This is so stupid( and to be politically corerct, i don't mean to disparage stupid people..hell, I'm fairly stupid myself compared to some guys here)..a great amp with ANY power tube will trounce and trounce badly a mediocre amp with any power tube.
        All thing s being equal , I'd say teh KT88.
        Last edited by MetalManiac; 04-24-2012, 05:23 PM.
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Tie for me.

EL34
          6v6
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

That list is woefully incomplete.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

How many players actually play loud enough to notice?

I like attributes of EL84s, EL34s and 6L6 tubes. I only turn up my EL84 amp loud enough regularly to enjoy it so that was my vote. Otherwise, I could argue this many ways depending on style and other factors.

Comment

I use whatever sounds good... I actually just got an old tape reel to reel amp that sounds freaking awesome. I will post pics and a review tomorrow... I just can't do it today because I broke the tape and need to figure out how to fix it. hahahahahahha
                Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

6CA7, kinda the best of a 6L6 and an EL34 in one happy bottle.

Comment

So far, I'm an EL34 guy.
                    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                    Originally posted by CTN
                    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

This poll is pretty stupid really. Tube type without the amp type is pretty worthless. Who here likes 6L6's in their Marshalls? Who here likes EL34's in their Fenders? You can make a broad generalization about it but nothing else.
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

^ +1

Comment

EL34s

Comment

KT88 and 6550 are pretty much the same tube. Just saying. They're interchangeable.
                            Originally posted by grumptruck
                            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                            Originally posted by Gear Used
                            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                            Mesa Stiletto Ace
                            Gurus 5015
                            Mesa Widebody 1X12
                            Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                              KT88 and 6550 are pretty much the same tube. Just saying. They're interchangeable.
                              IF you can get them to break up, the 6550s hold together a little longer and break up really quick once you get them there. They tend to be a little "crunchier". the KT88s are fatter and smoother on breakup.

But that's splitting hairs, err tubes.

LP Custom
                              Greenbacks
                              Boss SD-1

Comment

Working...
                              X