DON'T WANT TUBE AMP DISTORTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DON'T WANT TUBE AMP DISTORTION

I'm thinking about getting a low watt (<10) cheap tube amp just for cleans. This amp is a novalty thing, I have a Peavey Vypyr 30 head/cab which kicks ass, I just always wanted a tube amp (not for $2000+ though). All the amps that meet the watt/$$ criteria only have a volume control, which is fine, don't really care. What I don't like is the volume is also a gain, so the higher up it is the dirtier it is. Kinda defeats the purpose with it being only for cleans. I have NO experience with tube stuff, can I do some swapping and make the vol. just a vol.? Maybe put in tubes that need a lot of push to get them to get dirty then putting them in a little 2-5 watt amp with no push to it? I don't know, I'm new at tubes & talking out my a$$.
    LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
    Thinline W/GFS Classic II
    Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
    LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
    Blackstar HT5-H.
    Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Re: DON'T WANT TUBE AMP DISTORTION

Anything less than 15 tube watts is going to break up most likely more than you wish. Tube swaps won't change it to do what you want. You'll just be chasing your tail. You need to step up to 40 or 50 tube watts to get solid loud cleans. I'm speaking in general terms.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

So get a nice solid state amp instead?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Need more than 10 watts for good cleans.
        Last edited by guitfiddle; 04-27-2012, 07:17 PM.
        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

low wattage amps are not for cleans. Wattage = headroom.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The lower the headroom the less cleans you are going to have....a 2 or 3 watt amp will have no real cleans at any real volumes...
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I have a 5-watt Marshall Class 5. I don't play it when I'm in a "clean" mood.

Originally posted by nedcronin
              Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
              Originally posted by metalmachine
              dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Alright, unbelievablely great news, My friend GAVE me his Marshall JCM900 SL-X head for free! Hell yeah! Well not exactly free, he said it keeps blowing fuses so I have to track that down. Is there an area I should look at first to fix it? Are they known for arching? Hopefully this will fix easily and my clean amp problem solved (with a Marshall!!!!!)
                LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
                Blackstar HT5-H.

Comment

Sure with the gain down the SLX will be clean... but i wouldnt ever accuse them of being good cleans. Using one for cleans is kinda like using a ferrari to pull a manure cart. Its a great score get the amp fixed and it will do killer distortion sounds for you. look elsewhere for great cleans.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Vox Pathfinder's are cheap solid state and sound good clean. Just a suggestion.
                    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

You might surprise yourself with how much you like tube distortion once you get that Marshall fixed.

As others have said, you don't get a good clean tone from a low wattage tube amp. I have a Peavey Valve King Royal 8 (5 watt class A tube amp), and it has very little clean tone. I use it as a practice amp most of the time and constantly got yelled at by a former band leader to get a cleaner tone out of it, despite me telling him why it was unable to get clean. After a while I stopped bringing that amp and starting bringing my Roland Cube 60, which while not a tube, has better cleans that 90% of the tube amps I've ever played.
                      Go Packers!

Comment

I tore it apart on my lunch break and saw it's the main fuse that's blown. I looked at the circuit boards and all the trinky-dinks on the boards and it all looked fine. What about the transformers (2), do they go bad?
                        LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
                        Blackstar HT5-H.

Comment

Originally posted by Bfeeney View Post
                          I tore it apart on my lunch break and saw it's the main fuse that's blown. I looked at the circuit boards and all the trinky-dinks on the boards and it all looked fine. What about the transformers (2), do they go bad?
                          Based on posts you've made thus far I'm going to give you some friendly advise...

You have nothing in the amp so spend a little cash and TAKE IT TO A PRO AND HAVE IT FIXED.

Just trust me...you'll be safer in the long run and the amp just might live to rock another day.

All this said a JCM900SLX isn't going to be very loud and clean at all but for free you can't complain!
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

If you want a clean tube amp, a low-wattage one is not the best choice.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

When I see you say you don't want tube amp distortion, my question is, "Why not?" You see, it sounds awesome, even in small doses.

Comment

Working...
                              X