RUBY TUBES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RUBY TUBES

Has anyone used Ruby power/preamp tubes? I looked at them on Musicians Friend's site and they seem to get good reviews and the prices aren't bad.
    LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
    Thinline W/GFS Classic II
    Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
    LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
    Blackstar HT5-H.
    Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Re: RUBY TUBES

Yes..........they don't make tubes per-se'...just test and relable them like Groove-Tubes does. They do spec out certain tubes and have them manufactured FOR them, such as the Ruby EL34 BHT I'm currently using in my Bogner Ecstacy.......very nice power-tube!
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

I've got Ruby power tubes, which are relabeled JJ EL84s, and I've got a Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+, which I think is among the best 12AX7 stock available today. Don't bother getting them from Musician's Friend, though. I would go with a dealer that will hand-select what you want. I have had excellent dealings with Doug's Tubes and the Tube Depot.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        ...Don't bother getting them from Musician's Friend, though. I would go with a dealer that will hand-select what you want. I have had excellent dealings with Doug's Tubes and the Tube Depot.
        I use Musicians' Friend 70% for homework and 30% purchacing. Usually I find what I want on MF.com then I find where the best place is to get it. If it is a 'specialty' thing (I.E. tubes) then I'll get them at a 'specialty' store, but when I walk in the door I know what I want.
        LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
        Thinline W/GFS Classic II
        Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
        LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
        Blackstar HT5-H.
        Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Comment

I've got Ruby power tubes, which are relabeled JJ EL84s, and I've got a Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+, which I think is among the best 12AX7 stock available today. Don't bother getting them from Musician's Friend, though. I would go with a dealer that will hand-select what you want. I have had excellent dealings with Doug's Tubes and the Tube Depot.
          +1 on Dougs or the Depot. I prefer Doug's, but that's just me. My current favorite EL34s are a close toss up of the JJ KT77 or the Ruby EL34BSTR and my favorite 6L6 is the Ruby 6L6MSTR. One of my favorite preamp tubes is the Chinese C9. You can get the C9s as a Ruby or a Penta. Ruby also grades some SEDs, JJs, and I think some Sovteks.

LP Custom
          Greenbacks
          Boss SD-1

Comment

I've been a Ruby dealer since 1994...I've put a lot of them in!

The power tube rating system they use isn't as "user friendly" as other brands but as a tech, I know exactly what I'm putting in an amp when I grab a set off the shelf. I think I've only had 4 or 5 tubes fail since I've been carrying their tubes.
            Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

I have a pair of EL34 'large bottle' power valves. They are VERY clean and 'hifi' sounding. I really like 'em for clean stuff.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Ruby 6L6 tubes (relabelled Sovteks) came stock in my Traynor YCS50 and I really like them. I plan on leaving them in until they are near the end of their usability and then replace them with Tung-Sols.
                "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

+1 !!
                  Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
                  Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Comment

Putting my Ruby EL-84's next to JJ's, the chassis don't even look alike.

Goodbye, Ruby Tubeday...
                    2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Heritage Cherry Sunburst
                    Gibson 2010 Flood Anniversary Les Paul, Blue Swirl

Jet City JCA22H Full Stack
                    BOSS GT-10 effects

Comment

Originally posted by USAPatriot View Post
                      Putting my Ruby EL-84's next to JJ's, the chassis don't even look alike.

Goodbye, Ruby Tubeday...
                      You mean, the Ruby EL84 you got doesnt look like the JJs you got? Just keep in mind that Ruby screens and sells many other brands other than JJs, so all Rubys dont look alike.

LP Custom
                      Greenbacks
                      Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                        You mean, the Ruby EL84 you got doesnt look like the JJs you got? Just keep in mind that Ruby screens and sells many other brands other than JJs, so all Rubys dont look alike.
                        Yeah, that's why I was specific about it. Ruby just selects and relabels tubes, so you may order JJs and get Rubys, which is exactly what I did.

Comment

Sometimes the screening companies (Ruby, Penta, GT) have designations for where they get the tubes. They might put an R for Russian tube, C for Chinese, or S for Slovakian. There are also a lot of russian tubes, so they might have R1, R2, R3 etc.

LP Custom
                          Greenbacks
                          Boss SD-1

Comment

Just recently scored a set of Ruby 6l6s from Andrew in the trading forum, probably not going to drop them in until I change the speaker in the amp first......

Comment

Which 6L6s Lats? Are they they the MSTRs?

LP Custom
                              Greenbacks
                              Boss SD-1

Comment

Working...
                              X