No announcement yet.

Anyone using all JJ tubes in their amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using all JJ tubes in their amp?

If so, what do you think of the sound? Any favorite models? Any different options for 12AX7's within the brand, or do they only make one variety?

Any tonal point in replacing stock GT 6L6's, or should I just wait till they wear out?
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: Anyone using all JJ tubes in their amp?

I hate JJ tubes.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

i've compared JJ's to Tung-sol and i really couldn't hear that much of a difference in the pre-amp. I suppose if you buy JJ's from a dealer that doesn't test them and throw out the bad ones you might get some crappy ones.

Comment

I use all JJ in the amps that i build.

Ecc83s throughout the preamp and E34L in the poweramp.

It has the lowest noise factor when paired with elevated heaters and theyre the most reliable valves i've found that also sound good.

I occasionally experiment with Jan 5751's though
        Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
        WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
        http://fret.boards.net

Comment

I had a full compliment of JJs in my old XXX, but that amp was bright as hell. They have three kinds of 12AX7s. The ECC83s (I find it very smooth, sometimes dull) the ECC83s graded for high gain (same smoothness, but more bite, better) and the ECC803 (long plate, 10% less gain, warm and smooth, but more high and presence than the 83s. Also GREAT tube for a PI) I think ALL JJs in the preamp can dull the character of the amp unless it is really bright. JJs DO work nice to bring out some smooth, but fat mids if they follow a brighter tube, like the TS or EH.

I do like a lot of their power tubes.

LP Custom
          Greenbacks
          Boss SD-1

Comment

I am running all JJ's in my Trem-o-verb (aside from the rectifier) and Bumbox amps.

They have 2 different 12AX7's; the ECC 83S and the ECC 803S. The 803 is a bit mellower and sweeter to my ear; the 83S has more gain and crunches earlier.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post

It has the lowest noise factor when paired with elevated heaters and theyre the most reliable valves i've found that also sound good.
              I may not be a fan of their tone, but I will agree that they are some of the most rugged and quiet preamp tubes made.

LP Custom
              Greenbacks
              Boss SD-1

Comment

I'm not a big fan myself unless I specifically want to dull the tone for some reason. About the only application I like is one of the standard 12AX7s in is the boost side of my Kingsley Jester. It's dark, fat and smooth character does what I want it to do for that application, but any amp I've used them in has been too dull from them and I always had them replaced with an Electro Harmonix tube. I like the EL84s though. My Vox is outfitted with several NOS Tesla tubes (before they became JJs) and those work well there.
                Last edited by That90'sGuy; 05-01-2012, 05:22 AM.
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  I hate JJ tubes.
                  Why is that?

Comment

i used to use all jjs in my fenders, but now i prefer tung sols in the preamp spots. I like jjs in a marshall tho - all the way thru. I dont need too much top end, cos the hi hatz and cymbals eat it anyway in a mix. Also i find that the higher on the neck i play, the less treble i want and more low end and mid push.
                    Id keep the gts until they need replacing tho. NOthing wrong with them. Whats in your preamp tho?
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I had a full JJ set for my Mesa Blue Angel, and hated them. Put this high end sheen on everything. Sounded like an amp with the bass and mid knob all the way down. Went back to stock Mesa tubes, which restored the missing body. I don't care how sturdy or low noise JJ's are if they don't sound good in my amp.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really despise the ECC83s. I agree with Soulcrusher_X's post wholeheartedly. Their power tubes seem to be really good, and the long plate-preamp tubes aren't bad. The short-plate ones are, to my ears.

Comment

i retubed my BJr with all JJs - high headroom option, matched, balanced, etc

sound fine to me
                          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

They're great tubes, however they are a bit darker sounding. So, if you already have a dark sounding amp, it may not agree with JJ's. However, if you've got a very bright amp, JJ's will help tame it. I found them to be a massive improvement when I retubed my former HR Deville with JJ's.
                            -
                            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

One thing I have noticed with JJ EL34's is that they are not particularly long-lived.
                              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                              X