banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my pedalboard is 'complete'! yay :-) ...but is my signal chain correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: my pedalboard is 'complete'! yay :-) ...but is my signal chain correct?

I love my Decimator G String, personally. I was very much against the idea when my bandmate suggested one, but I bit the bullet and have nothing but praise for the thing.

As for all the calls to move it to the end of the signal chain... With this noise gate, that is kind of a waste of it's abilities. If you run a patch cable from GUIT OUT to DEC IN when using effects, you can put all of your effects straight into it, but if you do this you basically reduce the quality of its noise suppression when using effects, and you might as well have just got the regular Decimator for about $100 less.

The Decimator G String works the way it does because it reads your guitar signal, and uses that information to tell it when to apply the noise reduction and when not to. You want that signal that it reads to be totally clean, so the noise-making effects should go in the pedal's loop, not before the pedal's first input (GUIT IN). That means the first input of the noise gate comes first in the chain (or maybe after a tuner, like I do). Then the pedals that you want gated go in the Decimator's loop. Then out of the Decimator to the effects you don't want gated, and from them to the amp.

Running it without any other effects (and this took me a few practices to figure out, because it is not in the instructions), you run your guitar into GUIT IN and out of DEC OUT to the amp. Then you run a jumper cable in the loop (from GUIT OUT to DEC IN). If you don't use the jumper, the pedal simply does nothing.

The third way to use the DGS is to put it in the effects loop of your amp, if it has one. Cable into GUIT IN, cable from GUIT OUT to amp input, cable from line out or FX loop out to DEC IN, and cable from DEC OUT to line in or FX loop in. That places the gate between the pre amp and power amp of your amplifier.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-02-2012, 07:51 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

cool brutha, you can see the photo above where the rat is feeding back into the ISP, I forgot to mention my pedals are in the noisegate loop, that is definitely the way to use my pedal, cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Bfeeney View Post
        Musicians Friend did an article about pedal order, they said there was a huge debate about it but here is the order they said: GUITAR> preamp> compress> dist> wah> chorus> delay> EQ> gate> vol> reverb> AMP.
        Musicians Friend is wrong. The correct order is what sounds best TO YOU.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I've eliminated all pedals except for a Decimator in the loop. All that cabling, power supply and TB & non TB pedal stuff in front of my amps input was having too much negative affect on my signal integrity.
          My tone feels livelier and sounds more natural and dynamic. My Decimator isn't gating anything though. Just a slight noise eliminator. It's also transparent when in the loop.
          No offense meant, but I cringe a little when I see pedal boards in front of amps.
          Just a personal opinion that I have since I recently took the condom off my tone.
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

i'm surprised so many people like their wah pedal in front of the OD/distortion.
            Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Working...
            X