Up and bought a Nobels ODR-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up and bought a Nobels ODR-1

I've been throwing around the idea of getting another overdrive for a while, and for some reason this Nobels ODR-1 kept coming to mind. I have no idea what to really expect, but the reviews generally seem good...now just gotta find place on my pedal board for it!!
    Maybe I'll make a review of it soon :-D

Re: Up and bought a Nobels ODR-1

I loved mine. I just slightly prefered amp distortion. Enjoy it.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

yeah, i'm hoping it could easily just be another flavor of OD. and all the clips i've heard have been great!

Comment

Congrats! I loved my ODR-1. Great pedal. And built like a tank too!
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

ive been on the verge of buying that for almost a year now
          i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

Based on the experiences of Agileguy and Andrew, it seems like this is a honeymoon pedal. You love it for a while, and it's the greatest thing ever, but then you sell it. Maybe they just turn things around, but I'll see if it stands the test of time for you.

Full disclosure: I've never even seen one of these pedals, much less played one. It's just interesting to see the same story happen twice here.

Comment

Misterwhizzy: honestly if that happens I'm not too concerned, because I got it for $89 flat. not a huge loss to me anyway if i don't end up liking it. and if I do ended up loving it, long term, I can always have JHS re-encase it in a more sturdy case with better switches and knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/ View Post
                Misterwhizzy: honestly if that happens I'm not too concerned, because I got it for $89 flat. not a huge loss to me anyway if i don't end up liking it. and if I do ended up loving it, long term, I can always have JHS re-encase it in a more sturdy case with better switches and knobs.
                Honestly, I wasn't too worried about you. If you can flip it, great. If you love it, great. It would just be an interesting study in the lifespan of that pedal on different player's boards. In fact, that might be an interesting study. What brands last longest on player's boards?

If I had to come up with a short list, I think it might include MXR and Visual Sound. I don't see a lot of guys talking about buying Visual Sound pedals, but I see even fewer people selling them. Plus, I really can't say enough good things about my H2O, so I'm just a homer in that sense.

Comment

Holy!!!! I just listened to this demo ;

By gawd if that doesnt seem to be just about the best Marshallesque overdrive iv'e heard, and Ive got easily a thousand dollars worth of Plexi pedals! Listen ot Andy at PGS virtually nail a old ZZTOP Marshall sound through a Fender Dlx. Rvrb.!
                  I have to have one! Wished I'd a only known.
                  Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-01-2012, 08:49 PM.
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                    Honestly, I wasn't too worried about you. If you can flip it, great. If you love it, great. It would just be an interesting study in the lifespan of that pedal on different player's boards. In fact, that might be an interesting study. What brands last longest on player's boards?

If I had to come up with a short list, I think it might include MXR and Visual Sound. I don't see a lot of guys talking about buying Visual Sound pedals, but I see even fewer people selling them. Plus, I really can't say enough good things about my H2O, so I'm just a homer in that sense.
                    I can see that, probably because most people don't make very many copies of MXR or Visual Sound. (granted they make their own copies of others). You might have a handful of dyna comp (or similar) copies, but even visual sound made quite a few double units that are still pretty darn good if you ask me

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                      Based on the experiences of Agileguy and Andrew, it seems like this is a honeymoon pedal. You love it for a while, and it's the greatest thing ever, but then you sell it. Maybe they just turn things around, but I'll see if it stands the test of time for you.

Full disclosure: I've never even seen one of these pedals, much less played one. It's just interesting to see the same story happen twice here.
                      I'm honestly thinking of getting another one - the only reason I sold it in the first place was that I needed the money. I want to put together a small board, and I REALLY want one of these for that board.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

how does it compare to a Rat?

Comment

Originally posted by lareplus View Post
                          how does it compare to a Rat?
                          Doesn't even compare. I've had limited experience with Rat's in general, but the Nobels has a pronounced low end that I don't hear in Rats. The Nobels is very... big. I'd have to play a Rat to say more than that.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

The RAT is much more "fuzzy", not in the sense like an actual fuzz, but fuzzy none the less. The ODR-1 I've heard described somewhere in between a soft clipping TS type and hard clipping OCD type.

Comment

Came in the mail today, on the day I was out ALL DAY...
                              Haven't gotten to plug it in yet, but I can definitely tell you it's god awful ugly green!

Review to follow shortly!

Comment

Working...
                              X