NAD!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD!!!!!!

So lately i have been playing a lot of blues/heavy blues rock and have been in need of a new amp to cover those sounds. So I started saving for a Marshall vintage modern until a Gibson Les Paul caught my eye and the Marshall funds went out the window! Fast forward a couple months I found a add in craigslist for a practically new jet city jca50h for $400 . I had heard a lot of good things about these amps and after about five minutes with it I was blown away. It may not be the Marshall but its got to be one of the fattest, ballsy, and best sounding amps on the market in this price range! To put the cherry on top the gentleman who sold it to me threw in a new set of tung sol kt-66's and it was all ready loaded with two gold pin jj's and two regular jj's in the pre amp section!Definitely a whole lot of tone at great price and nails the kinda Bonamassa/ Warren Haynes tonal range I was looking for.

Re: NAD!!!!!!

I approve the use of KT's
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Comment

been wanting to check 'em out, still haven't done it. congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
        been wanting to check 'em out, still haven't done it. congrats!
        Thanks! These things sound amazing for a $600 amp. You owe youself to try em out.

Comment

yeeeeeah! those KT66's look badass!

welcome to the Jet City club!

Comment

Seriously though, nice score. Esp with the tubes that came "stock" with it. I would maybe swap out the reg JJ ecc83s though.
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
              Seriously though, nice score. Esp with the tubes that came "stock" with it. I would maybe swap out the reg JJ ecc83s though.
              Yea I got a box full of preamp tubes to try out . He left one of the stock Chinese tubes in there and I replaced it with a sovtek for right now in the last position. I kinda like the reg jj's dark tone. I have em in a couple other amps. I got the two gold pin jj's in v1 and v2 . Any recommendations? I have a assortment of electro harmonix, ruby, groove tube(Chinese and relabeled sovteks), sovteks 12ax7wa &12ax7wc's, and one tung-sol 12ax7. Maybe ill grab a mullard or two when I go get some back up kt-66's .

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                yeeeeeah! those KT66's look badass!

welcome to the Jet City club!
                Thanks!!

Comment

Soulcrusher_X would be able to give you a lot of insight.

From what I've read, heard and tried Sovtek LPS rocks in the PI. I like the Tungsol in my V1 spot. Do you have the schematics for your amp? That would help with finidng the best tubes for certain positions.

You have a lot of options to start with. Look forward to hearing/reading the results of tube rolling.
                  Mesa Stiletto Ace
                  Gurus 5015
                  Mesa Widebody 1X12
                  Pedalboard

Comment

Ive been working hard on my chops so for right now I guess ill just enjoy the rewards of playing a good sounding amp and come back to tube swapping! This amp has become almost addicting to play. It has a kind of roaring tone thats just beefy as hell and remains clear and articulate as long as the gain is not dimmed out.

Comment

The amp also sounds great when hit with some fuzz! I like to run a amp a lil dirty with fuzz on top of it but that hasnt allways worked out with other amps. With the jet city set to nice crunch on the normal channel paired with my fulltone 69 im getting some excellent lead tones and the perfect sounds for old school riff rock!!

Comment

Jet City makes killer stuff.....

Comment

What speakers you running with it?
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

Nothing special just two emmy govenors in a marshall 4x12. Ive got to get some new speakers to fill the cab with.

Comment

I know from LOTS of experimentation with the JCA20H that I like V1 Tung-Sol, V2 Chinese, and PI JJ ECC803S. The PI is really important in this amp and can give quite a bit of different feel. If you're getting too compressed a sound, use a 12AU7. It can make a huge difference.

The only difference between the preamp in this and the JCA20H is the addition of a tube for the effects loop and a tube for an extra gain stage in the overdrive channel. These you're on your own with, but give that a go and see what you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X